E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Lowering car with Sport Package?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009 | 08:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

I recently posted on another forum I visit about getting my new, to me, 530 and most of the comments made back were that I need to lower the car. Granted most of the people there are E36 people and most are young but it got me to thinking. I had already thought about getting some firmer springs and thicker sway bars but I really don't see room to lower the car. I read some of the lowering spring kit info and most said they lower the car from 1.2 inches to 2.5 inches. Again, I just don't see that much room to play without arching the wheel wells or rolling the lips. Neither of those options appeal to me. Have any of you with the Sports Package lowered the car and if so by how much?
Does anyone know the spring rates and the size of the sway bars? I want to make the car handle better and reduce the body roll but not make the ride knock the fillings out of my teeth. Once I get the handling to where I want it I will start looking at more power and then a mTech body kit.

TIA,
Steve
Old 10-17-2009 | 08:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Well a lot of members here lower their cars too, I haven't (as you can see in my sig), but I don't think I will either. I don't like to slow down to a crawl to enter a driveway. The members that do mostly do it with coilovers like KW's (contact member Macfly). Good luck and welcome to the forum and the 530 family
Old 10-17-2009 | 09:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Most people that see my 5 and are not enthusiasts, ask me if I lowered it. It's just the "sports package".

Me personally... My 5 is the weekend car for fun AND FAMILY. So I need her to be practical as well. So I am not lowering shit, and I'm not going larger than 19's for wheels.

I lowered my '97 M3 with H&R sport springs and Eibach shocks and she handled on rails! If I didn't have family and friends I'd go back to the 3, but... I'll take an "M" whether it's a 3 or a 5...., and the family will have to adapt

I wouldn't drive the 5 without the sports package though