E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Lowering Advice on a Sport Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I called Turner motor sports and the guy there said that if I have to go at least 2 inches lower, then I must go with coil overs. According to him, just installing H & R Race springs would "bust" the shocks. Either I should buy shocks with race springs or just get an entire coilover setup.

Lowered guys.. what do you say? Have you had any issues with going 2" lower on your sports suspension? Do I have to buy new shocks?

Thanks!!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by thefleet' post='612821' date='Jun 30 2008, 07:53 AM
So I called Turner motor sports and the guy there said that if I have to go at least 2 inches lower, then I must go with coil overs. According to him, just installing H & R Race springs would "bust" the shocks. Either I should buy shocks with race springs or just get an entire coilover setup.

Lowered guys.. what do you say? Have you had any issues with going 2" lower on your sports suspension? Do I have to buy new shocks?

Thanks!!
Although I havent had any experience with coil overs, if you are going to go Eibach Sport-Line (instead of Pro-kit) or H&R Race Springs (instead Sport), then you will have to at the very least, upgrade your factory shocks. The OEM shocks cannot handle the addition strain on the system when dropping the car that much.

Im sure some more folks may chime in that have experience with the coil overs, but you may come out cheaper by replacing springs and shocks over going coil-overs.

GL
Old 06-30-2008, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

So when I put 19" wheels, will the fender gap decrease..
Old 06-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I say keep the stock sprt suspension, when you put the 19"s on it should fill the gap a bit more (especially with some rear spacers with those 128's). Plus you just got that m-tech kit on, lowering it will make it easier for you to scrape
Old 06-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

You think M-Tech kit has lowered end? Hmm.. I never thought that spacers would reduce the gap, but you could be right
Old 06-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by thefleet' post='612886' date='Jun 30 2008, 10:32 AM
You think M-Tech kit has lowered end? Hmm.. I never thought that spacers would reduce the gap, but you could be right
Take a look at my gallery on my most recent pics...... I have 19", sport package AND Eibach Pro-kit, so I am actually almost a 1/2" lower then normal sport. I think the gap is very minimal, and as far as ride quality, I not sure I would want to be much lower in a city environment.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by thefleet' post='612886' date='Jun 30 2008, 09:32 AM
won't reduce the gap, but it will push your wheels out and fill the fender more...

Think I misunderstood about the coil overs, I guess you were only referring to the rears and not all around. In any case, I would mount the shoes and see how it looks before committing to lowering it...
Old 06-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

Nice car IceyTys

I dont see a lot of difference in comparision to sport suspension... or is it jus the angel of the pics?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='612891' date='Jun 30 2008, 12:38 PM
Take a look at my gallery on my most recent pics...... I have 19", sport package AND Eibach Pro-kit, so I am actually almost a 1/2" lower then normal sport. I think the gap is very minimal, and as far as ride quality, I not sure I would want to be much lower in a city environment.
for 1/2" is it worth lowering with any kits?
Old 06-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by thefleet' post='612895' date='Jun 30 2008, 10:43 AM
Nice car IceyTys

I dont see a lot of difference in comparision to sport suspension... or is it jus the angel of the pics?
Could be angle, but also 1/2" is a very small amount to notice by your eyes when you are looking at the overall massing of the vehicle and size wheels etc. I actually had to measure all 4 sides when I had the springs put on to be sure.

honestly if a 1/2" was the only thing gained by installing the springs then it probably wouldnt have been worth it, but I also notice improved handling in the ride quality, so with the quality of the ride AND the 1/2" it was well worth it.

However IMHO if you are going to go lower, lets say the 2" drop of the H&R race springs, then thats only .6" lower then what i have now, but your are going to spend 3 times the cost to get it done, I dont think thats worth it. Honestly I really cant answer the question going that low but really in a city environment, I dont think Id make the suspension that stiff. I think your ride quality would then become a negative effect, but I would double check with some other members who might have the race springs, on how they compare their ride to stock sport suspension.

Quick Reply: Lowering Advice on a Sport Suspension