E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

lowered e60s and warranties...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking into a CPO e60 and I was curious about the issues that members who lowered their cars might have experienced. I definitely want to lower mine but I'm a little weary because I know how BMW can be...any feedback?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

I lowered mine two years ago with the Eibach springs pro kit, so far I'm quite satisfied. It is worth mentioning that I do not have the sports package.

I did cause some damage to the car undercarriage, apparently there is some aluminum insulation padding around the exhaust and the car rubbed in that section and the insulation was making contact with the exhaust, making the engine idle noisier. BMW did not repair that under warranty, they had a technician bend it back to its place, they charged me 60USD.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i Sport 6M

I was just talking to my SA about the same thing. He was telling me that any modifications to the car can make it a little harder to get warranty work done. He said that it's not impossible and they might not blame whatever is wrong with your car on the mods but why take the chance?

I was asking him about adding some H&R springs and he said that if any of my suspension components ever needed repair under warranty, it opens up the possibility of BMW claiming that the part caused the problem.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

Check out this thread: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...=0&p=448958
Old 07-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

I wonder if this also goes for Dinan? I doubt it since many BMW service centers are authorized Dinan dealers. Plus check this out: Suspension Guarantee
Old 07-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Members

Dinan has their own warranty separate from BMW. Basically if a DInan part causes damage to the BMW, it's them, not BMW that will cover it.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Members

thanks for the answers...I kinda already knew that BMW can and prob will blame aftermarket parts for damage or malfunctions but I'm more curious about whether someone has actually gone thru this where the springs or coilovers voided the warranty and what kinda problems they experienced. I guess I'm trying to decide if I'm really willing to risk it...
Old 07-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Members

I haven't gone through with it with a BMW but I did go through with it on a Ford Mustang. Now I know a Mustang is not a BMW but both companies are for profit so it'll save them money if they can blame something else for damages.

Everytime I bought in a modified car to the dealership with a complaint, they would try to find a way to blame the mods. I could just imagine if I brought in my 545 with active steering and roll stabilization to the dealership with problems on those items and a lowered suspension. They would probably come up with some story about how the springs changed the geometry of the suspension and that change in geometry caused wear or damage due to it functioning outside of its parameters or something. They would tell me that the suspension was not designed to work within the geometry that the springs forced the suspension to change to. Then they would deny the claim and put that in their computer so other dealerships would see it and deny my warranty too. I remember when I would see DINAN modded cars service histories and they would put that the car was a DINAN car right in the service history.

Alot of people like to quote the Magnusson-Moss (sp?) Act when it comes to mods but I've learned that fighting a dealership costs money and they have more of it than I do. The can outspend you.

The bottom line is that you take a risk when modding your car so plan accordingly. Either find a "mod friendly" dealership, or keep the stock parts and return the car back to stock if a problem arises, or just accept the fact that you might have risked your warranty with the mods.

Henry
Old 07-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

You can always buy the car with sport suspension, if that is not low enough for you, then I guess there is no other answer than aftermarket parts. As mentioned here, the dealer will blame aftermarket products when they can, especially on: Suspension, engine, exhaust, tranny and electronics