E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Looking For A Xenon Looking Bulb For My 06 525i..Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying To Find The Right Bulb To Make My Lights Look Like Xenons Alot Of People Told Me If I Dont Have A Projected Headlight Then I will Have Alot Of Glar So If Anyone Has Any Info Please Let Me Know Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Looking For A Xenon Looking Bulb For My 06 525i..Please Help-pc030215.jpg  
Old 02-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

It's an H7 bulb. Why xenon look? Dont risk melting harnesses and stuff. get the HID kits!!

I sell HID kits MADE for the BMW. Lemme know if ur interested!

U just gotta make sure ur beam is properly angled. This way, there's no glare.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

What you have been told is right. Halogen reflectors aren't designed to run HID lights in the and will cause glare to other road users as the beams aren't as well controlled/focused at the edges as reflector designed for HIDs. Most cars these days dont use HID reflectors and just opt for projector lenses to keep the beams focused properly same as BMW,Audi Merc etc. I dont know about the US but in the UK its illegal to run HID lights in halogen reflector, although a few people still do but that says alot about their respect for other road users.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Members

My Ride: E61 545i Sport Touring

Don't want to tread on Brabus's toes but I think you are wrong about HIDs in reflector lights. See http://www.hids4u.co.uk and go to HID bulbs and H7r, more info.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

in the early 2000s, many cars did not have projectors. They make HID bulbs for reflectors. Check out the Lexus RX300, Acura TL, etc just to name a couple.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xyzbird
Don't want to tread on Brabus's toes but I think you are wrong about HIDs in reflector lights. See http://www.hids4u.co.uk and go to HID bulbs and H7r, more info.
They sell retrofits kits to use in H7 reflectors but they arent legal for use in the UK. There is a Gov doc stating about retrofiting HID lights that ill post up later when I find it. http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
in the early 2000s, many cars did not have projectors. They make HID bulbs for reflectors. Check out the Lexus RX300, Acura TL, etc just to name a couple.
Those cars use reflectors designed for HID lighting and control the beam pattern for them without the light scatter found when people try and run hids in halogen reflectors. They also dont use H7 bulb fitments they will use D1R( R=Reflector) bulb.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Members

Dandle, I appreciate your response. Having fitted HIDs to the dipped projector units of a previous E39 BMW Touring which had self levelling suspension, I assumed all was OK but not according to your link. I have sent a message to HIDS4U with this link and will await their response and let you know.

I have seen a post on this forum clearly showing incorrect HID bulbs being retrofitted into reflector units but who knows what the US regs are. Someone did say "On a side note: Judging from the pics, that car has NJ plate, the HID with halogen housing won't pass the state inspection. They will fail you and ask you to remove it".
Old 02-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Members

Further to my previous post, what's the betting that I don't get any response from two UK HID suppliers I have e'mailed. I have just found that the DFT link above is either not properly read and understood, or ignored and open to loads of different interpretations, as seen on other forum discussions on that subject. There doesn't seem to be any proper legislation or control and anything seems to go, judging by the number of 'illegal' sellers (UK) out there.

There's also the aspect of whether you are insured when it comes to an insurance company looking for a let out when they find out a car has been modified. There's also a chance an insurance company may refuse to insure a car if this modification is declared.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Contributors

I have a feeling that everyone who sells them wont admit they are for road use and class them as competition lights or something like that. The DTF doc is pretty clear if the lights arent "E" marked suitabable for HIDs(which no halogen reflector will be) then they are illegal on UK roads.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Members

Over the last 6 to 12 months, there has been an ever increasing number of older cars on UK roads where an aftermarket HID kit has been fitted into standard halogen reflector headlamps. HID kits have become significantly cheaper / more affordable over the last few years.

The beam pattern on some cars with the above mentioned setup seems just about acceptable but on others looks stupid and drivers blinded by the glare must be wondering 'how are these jokers getting away with this?'.

The UK law on this has always been clear as the link above details the official position of the Department of Transport on this issue. Obviously major online retailers don't have a banner on their sites saying "You are buying an illegal product unless your car has projectors, auto light levelling and headlamp washers".

Most people who are already running the illegal setup don't realise it and are usually rather surprised when they are told its illegal. The primary reason for the uncertainty regarding this is because cars appear to be passing the UK annual MOT / inspection even with the illegal setup ! The Department of Transport either needs to update their advice / position on this or they need to declare the currently illegal setup as legal (which won't be a clever thing to do as even more people will continue to be blinded by the glare).

I wonder whether an insurance company would make a fuss about an illegally fitted aftermarket HID kit following an accident?

Now to the topic of the thread. Most HID/Xenon look bulbs (which are usually coated blue) are ALSO illegal / 'not for road use' in the UK. This is because they don't carry an "E" mark on them which is apparently normally found on most things in Europe. Not sure what the US law is on the HID/Xenon look halogen bulbs.

I too want some HID/Xenon look bulbs for my halogen reflector headlamps. Again officially I know they are not strictly legal. But atleast I know if I fit some, I won't be glaring other road users. Some of the pictures I've seen, the bulbs do look nice. I've been trying to decide between the Philips Diamond Vision 5000K, MTec Cosmos Blue White 4750K or the GP Thunder 8500K (all do not have the E mark on them). I need H7s for the dipped and HB4/9006 for the fogs. Its known that tinted bulbs such as those mentioned do tend to produce a less bright light compared to even stock or for example the Philips Xtreme which is simply an extra bright bulb (not 100w) without looking like HID. But I think if one is driving on brightly lit city roads anyway, this won't be much of a problem.

Some of these HID / Xenon look bulbs do look like true HIDs in terms of the colour but minus the very bright light output which LEGAL HIDs definitely have an advantage in.

Quick Reply: Looking For A Xenon Looking Bulb For My 06 525i..Please Help