E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Looking For Tires, Look No Further!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

I'm not doubting his review. I can relate to his feelings about the T1R's:
Originally Posted by ICEMAN 316' post='453803' date='Jul 31 2007, 09:01 PM
When I had my Toyo's you could hear a lot of road noise in the cabin and feel the bumps and cracks on the road.
I was just curious if his enthusiasm was monetarily endorsed. I know I would be excited too if they were FREE (or at least significantly discounted).
Old 07-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

These are my honest feelings about the tires.. If you guys want to think i'm just saying these good things because i'm paid to say it then you're wrong.. All i'm saying is give these Nitto's a try cause they're just bad ass tires.. If you want a rough ride with a lot of road noise and have tire wall problems then just go get some TOYO's.. I've been fixing up cars for more then 12 years so i've had a lot of different tires on my cars but these are the best..
Old 07-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='453837' date='Jul 31 2007, 09:58 PM
I'm not doubting his review. I can relate to his feelings about the T1R's:
I was just curious if his enthusiasm was monetarily endorsed. I know I would be excited too if they were FREE (or at least significantly discounted).
Ryan,
You, ICEMAN316, and I have/had Toyo tires. Road noise, bumps and cracks on the road is a reality of 245/30/20 and 285/25/20 tires. People commonly refer to these types of tires as "rubber bands" and are afraid to run them for fear of cracking and/or bending the wheel. Now, if someone tells me there is a better tire out there, I'll listen and give it a chance especially if it's from a friend. The Nittos can't be any worse than the Toyos.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

nice write up bing

got me looking into it. only thing is that i have tire warranty with the dealer.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Don't get me wrong, I'm genuinely interested in the INVOs. I'm even watching Nitto's videos about the design on their website right now. I was just curious if Bing's opinion was influenced otherwise. Refer my skepticism as product envy.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I'm only running Toyos out of necessity. If I had known about INVOs, say three weeks ago, I'd be sporting them. I'd had Toyos before on my 166 wheels and wasn't a big fan but they did grip better than the replacement, General Exclaim UHP tires.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i / Black Sapphire Metallic / 6spd. manual / Sports package

VT, when you say that you had rubbing issues with the 'square edges' on your Falken FK452's, is that because you're dropped on H&R Race Springs being the root of the issue? I've been thinking about putting aside my Toyo T1-R's and getting something else.

As for Toyo's having weak sidewalls and losing air, I've had about 4 - 5 sets in the past and totally agree (T1-S & T1-R's). Especially if you're lowered aggressively. On a side note, I've never had any issues with cracking or bubbling with these tires.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Contributors

Rubbing issues are a result of a combination of factors: tires, wheel offset and drop. The biggest factor is the offset. With the proper offset, you can run any tire brand, whether the sidewall is square or rounded, and any drop, be it H&R Sport, Race, Eibach Pro Kit, Sportline or KW, PSS9 coilovers. The wrong offset will be a nightmare.

Switching from Toyo to Falken would be good in that the FK-452 has a stiffer sidewall. I also happen to like the way they look on the wheels. If my wheel offsets were only a few millimeter larger I'd still be sporting the Falken. Larger offsets move the wheel inside the fender, which is a good thing for wheels with deep dish wanting to avoid rubbing.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Contributors

Hey Bing,

I've had the INVO's on my car for more than 3 months now and have more than 4000 miles on them. When I noticed that you had the INVO's on your car too at the last SoCal meet a few weeks ago I was going to talk to you about your experience with them, but I didn't get a chance.

I am having some problems which MAY OR MAY NOT have to do with the INVO's, so I don't want to blame the INVO's just yet.....but here's my experience with them:

As soon as I drove away from the tire shop when the INVO's were installed on my brand new M172 wheels I could feel vibrations in the car at certain speeds. I just assumed that the tires weren't balanced properly and that I would just have it re-balanced later on. Since then I have had all four tires rebalanced three times, but I still have the vibrations. The weird thing is that it feels like the speed at which the vibrations occur changes each time, and the vibrations seem more intense when I first drive the car after it's been sitting stationary for a few hours or overnight. It's almost as if there is something inside the tires that moves and therefore throws off the balance (like some sort of oil). I know they were having a heck of a time trying to pop the sidewalls of the tires to the wheel when they first put the tires on, so they kept putting more and more oil on the tire lips as they pumped it with air. It took them more than 15 minutes to pop each of the rear tires. So I thought that maybe they put too much oil and now the oil moves inside the tire and throws off the balance, and if the car has been stationary for a while then the oil would accumulate at the bottom, so when I first drive off it would cause more imbalance until it evened out. However, the tire shop says that the oil is water based and will evaporate after a while, although I don't know where it would evaporate to in a sealed tire.

I am also experiencing some "bouncy" vibrations with the INVO's that is different from the vibrations that I described above (especially on rough or uneven surfaces). These are more like you would experience if you have way too much air in the tires, but I have them even if I bring down the pressure to 28 psi.

I also had the BMW dealer do an alignment on the car last week when the car was in for service just to make sure there were no alignment issues, but that didn't help either.

At this point I am thinking of getting the tires balanced with a Hunter Road Force machine and see if that helps or not. If the tires are "out of round" this should help detect it.

So I don't want to blame the INVO's just yet, but I would expect the wheels themselves to be OK because they are brand new OEM BMW wheels. If after trying some more things I can't get the problems solved I would have to switch to another brand of tires.

Any ideas from you guys would be appreciated.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vegastrashed' post='453831' date='Jul 31 2007, 09:48 PM
..... I'll get these INVOs next. If they're not any better than the Toyos then I'm gonna whoop some ICEMAN a$$.
Hey Joe......one thing you should keep in mind is that the INVO's do have a pretty square shoulder, so if you had rubbing issues with the Falken's you may have them with the INVO's as well.

Quick Reply: Looking For Tires, Look No Further!