E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

looking to replace oem screen with LCD touch screen

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to operate my i-drive, dvd and in car pc all on one screen. In car pc looks terrible (fuzzy) on the BMW oem monitor. I was hoping to replace the old screen and buy an LCD screen with touch screen capabilities and do everything on that. Does anybody know? I have an e60 interface from G-net and am waiting for a solution before I hook it up.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Although I suppose anything's possible, I can't see how you're going to adapt the BMW interface from using the iDrive controller to a touch screen.

Sure, you can probably figure out how to change the physical screen from the OEM one to something that has touch capabilities (it still won't be easy, I'm afraid) but once that's done, I don't think you'll be able to touch through the iDrive screens, only the PC stuff, etc. (You'll still need to use the iDrive controller knob to move through them.)

Also, another thing to think about is that whatever screen you end up using needs to be robust enough for the extreme/harsh environment found in an automobile...
Old 05-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='419940' date='May 1 2007, 05:09 PM
Although I suppose anything's possible, I can't see how you're going to adapt the BMW interface from using the iDrive controller to a touch screen.

Sure, you can probably figure out how to change the physical screen from the OEM one to something that has touch capabilities (it still won't be easy, I'm afraid) but once that's done, I don't think you'll be able to touch through the iDrive screens, only the PC stuff, etc. (You'll still need to use the iDrive controller knob to move through them.)

Also, another thing to think about is that whatever screen you end up using needs to be robust enough for the extreme/harsh environment found in an automobile...
Firstly, I'm not trying to run the I drive with the touch screen, I simply want the new screen to be able to display the i-drive info on it. Secondly, I want the screen to switch to say video 2 which could be dvd, the screen could be an Alpine with Blackbird nav.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='419940' date='May 1 2007, 05:09 PM

my friend Rudy anything can be done, im working on mine, im not saying that you can touch screen the bmw controls but with certain software you can mimick and change from one thing to the other. I'm customizing a ALPINE TME M740bt in to my center console in wood grain to make it look factory.

ill show pics when im done.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='419944' date='May 1 2007, 05:17 PM
my friend Rudy anything can be done, im working on mine, im not saying that you can touch screen the bmw controls but with certain software you can mimick and change from one thing to the other. I'm customizing a ALPINE TME M740bt in to my center console in wood grain to make it look factory.
So, you're saying that i-drive can be displayed on a non-oem screen?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='419944' date='May 1 2007, 05:17 PM
I just checked out the ALPINE TME M740bt, it's perfect. It will also hook up to their Blackbird navigation. How cool. The only problem I need solved is, can I mount this ALPINE TME M740bt in the old space that the BMW screen was and will the new screen be able to display the i-drive info?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Titanium Silver Metallic w/ gray leather Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, navigation, iPod retrofit

As I was motoring down the road this morning, it hit me- why don't any manufacturers use a Windows-based control / navigation / information system? The mouse pad and two buttons used on most laptops could easily replace the iDrive knob and improve ease of use. You can't tell me that the function of all the computers on board the e60 couldn't be handled better and faster by a $200 or even $2000 computer the size of a deck of cards.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Falterkammer' post='419966' date='May 1 2007, 07:29 PM
As I was motoring down the road this morning, it hit me- why don't any manufacturers use a Windows-based control / navigation / information system? The mouse pad and two buttons used on most laptops could easily replace the iDrive knob and improve ease of use. You can't tell me that the function of all the computers on board the e60 couldn't be handled better and faster by a $200 or even $2000 computer the size of a deck of cards.
There?s a reason BMW pulled the Windows CE version of iDrive from the 7er and started using VxWorks on newer iDrive systems.

But since then Microsoft introduced new automotive platforms such as Fiat?s Blue&Me and Ford's SYNC. BMW probably won't use these as BMW has a not-invented-here mentality.

But back to the first point. What you fail to realize is that today's laptops are nowhere robust enough to run automotive apps. iDrive and its accompanying software are much more robust and are also more suited for the rather harsh automotive environment (subject to huge temperature extremes, bumps, just to name a few things).
Old 05-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Titanium Silver Metallic w/ gray leather Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, navigation, iPod retrofit

OK, I'll buy that. I like the iDrive, but I still think it would be much better to use a mousepad. Maybe even a touchscreen.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Falterkammer' post='420005' date='May 1 2007, 08:35 PM
OK, I'll buy that. I like the iDrive, but I still think it would be much better to use a mousepad. Maybe even a touchscreen.

I have to disagree with the robust factor, there are car pc built for this application, check out xenarc, mp3car.com and other websites there you will see product that has been built ideally for automotive purposes.

let me knwo if you need help

rj

Quick Reply: looking to replace oem screen with LCD touch screen