E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Looking for aero

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:56 AM
jmk
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i

Recently ordered the OEM M aero kit for my 08 535i but was told from BMW that they discontinued this kit! Still looking into it but if its true, I'll need something else!

Looking for ideas. I prefer a clean kit over a sporty one since I'm building a VIP 5. I love the Wald kit but that's not in the budget right now.

I don't mind piecing together parts from different cars either.

Things I don't want:
- replica parts
- quad exhaust

Any help is appreciated!

Here are some that I like.

Prior Design front for the E60 wagon:

RD Sport front is borderline for me... a bit sporty but still clean:

Rieger is more sporty but still pretty clean since the front is all one piece:

Lumma is clean:

What am I missing?
Old 09-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 550i jet black, Loaded
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N62B48

Since you don't want replica, but the ones you mentioned are more expensive when compare to OEM kit. Probably RD sport is cheapest to go with, but not the best looking one, to me.
I would still consider rep kit, since the production are much more mature and the fitment are almost perfect, cost roughly half of the other kits.
There are two vendors here offer the same kit that came from the same factory in China, Umnitza in Nor Cal and Trinity in So Cal, give them a call and compare their shipping rates depends where you are.
My 2 cents
Old 09-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Members

the ones you like are all the "sporty" ones!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

for a vip style i'd go with either reiger or lumma other ones look too sporty.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by jmk
Recently ordered the OEM M aero kit for my 08 535i but was told from BMW that they discontinued this kit! Still looking into it but if its true, I'll need something else!
Try looking HERE or HERE
Old 09-11-2011, 02:43 PM
jmk
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for anyone's input. I'm not sure what getbmwparts.com was talking about because a local guy I know works at a BMW dealership and says he can source me the kit for cost + tax. Going to find out if he can deliver this week. If he can, I'll just go with the M aero for now.

But to respond to everyone...

@peter griffin
I know these kits are more expensive than OEM. I never said that was a problem... as long is its not WALD expensive As far as replicas go, I just don't personally support them. Especially if I can get the M aero kit at cost, there really isn't a financial incentive to go replica anyway. The same goes for replica wheels/aero. That's something I don't see myself ever supporting. My $0.02.

@cgeetaryan
Haha these might be "sporty" but they aren't busy. The front ends are pretty clean and simple vs having a bunch of random vents/holes/4 fog lights etc.

@IndyRedBeast
I tend to agree with you. IMO both of these fronts look a lot like derivations of the M aero front. If I can get the M kit from my friend, then I'll just settle on that for now... maybe look at lips etc later on. Since I'll be saving money on the kit, I've already been eyeing some trunk spoilers. Maybe ACS or 3D Design?

@pukka
Thanks for the links. I'll explore those options if I can't source the kit locally.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by jmk
@pukka
Thanks for the links. I'll explore those options if I can't source the kit locally.
No prob - I just finished this upgrade on my car. If your car has PDC, do NOT get the Aero-kit w/PDC holes! The bumpers w/PDC require the pre-LCI PDC sensors which are larger and you will have to buy a complete set. Unless you absolutely want the OEM look, get the bumpers w/o PDC and have the body shop drill holes small enough for the LCI PDC sensors to fit. You will need to buy the PDC mounts but the parts cost will be much less.

Also, if your car has Night Vision or Active Cruise Control you will need to swap out the brackets and ducting so everything lines up properly with the new bumper. The Aero-kit includes all the necessary conversion parts and is the main reason why I chose NOT to buy a replica. No vendor I chatted with would confirm that their product would fit correctly on a car with my options.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:10 PM
jmk
Members
Senior Members

<-- LCI/no PDC.