E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

A little help with HID Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie here.....I currently have e60 with halogen headlights and I am looking to retrofit a HID headlight into my car. I don't care for adaptive light system as it will cost me alot more than I can afford. I was wondering if you can help me with this process.

Two options that I am looking into are as follows:

1st Option: Buy MTEC HID conversion kit (I am not sure if you are familiar with this kit, they are on eBay). MTEC says there will be no compatibility problems such as error messages and such. However, since my car doesn't have projector lens, I am afraid the light will scatter and not focus. If this is the case, I am wondering how I can make the beam focus like OEM xenon.... maybe buy projector lens and try to fit into current headlight housing?

2nd Option: Buy all the parts (ballast, bulb, ignitor, projector, wiring, and any other parts) separately and try to retrofit this into my car. This would enable OEM like light beam, but I am concerned about complexity of the project and possible compatibility issues (error messages etc.).

If anyone on the board has any advice, let me know.

PS: If anyone is using MTEC HID Conversion kit, how do you like it? Does it have glare problems? If possible, can someone post up a side-by-side comparison picture of OEM xenon and MTEC conversion kit?

Is there a better solution to get HID headlights into my car? Better HID conversion kit that will give me the focused beam so that I don't blind oncoming traffic?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by apocalypsem3' post='475315' date='Sep 28 2007, 12:09 AM
Newbie here.....I currently have e60 with halogen headlights and I am looking to retrofit a HID headlight into my car. I don't care for adaptive light system as it will cost me alot more than I can afford. I was wondering if you can help me with this process.

Two options that I am looking into are as follows:

1st Option: Buy MTEC HID conversion kit (I am not sure if you are familiar with this kit, they are on eBay). MTEC says there will be no compatibility problems such as error messages and such. However, since my car doesn't have projector lens, I am afraid the light will scatter and not focus. If this is the case, I am wondering how I can make the beam focus like OEM xenon.... maybe buy projector lens and try to fit into current headlight housing?

2nd Option: Buy all the parts (ballast, bulb, ignitor, projector, wiring, and any other parts) separately and try to retrofit this into my car. This would enable OEM like light beam, but I am concerned about complexity of the project and possible compatibility issues (error messages etc.).

If anyone on the board has any advice, let me know.

PS: If anyone is using MTEC HID Conversion kit, how do you like it? Does it have glare problems? If possible, can someone post up a side-by-side comparison picture of OEM xenon and MTEC conversion kit?

Is there a better solution to get HID headlights into my car? Better HID conversion kit that will give me the focused beam so that I don't blind oncoming traffic?

What kind of car do you have? year? I've got a pair of Bi-Xenon headlights for sale on ebay. This might be perfect for you, but you will need one module.

My Headlights

Let me know, especially if you are local, you can pick it up and save on shipping!

Good luck.

Btw, those Mtec HID kits are roughly 300 or more. And you will get glare due to the halogen housing.

MK
Old 09-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='475320' date='Sep 28 2007, 12:23 AM
What kind of car do you have? year? I've got a pair of Bi-Xenon headlights for sale on ebay. This might be perfect for you, but you will need one module.

My Headlights
Let me know, especially if you are local, you can pick it up and save on shipping!
Good luck.
Btw, those Mtec HID kits are roughly 300 or more. And you will get glare due to the halogen housing.
MK
I am from Long Island and have 2004 525i. I believe I can fit your head light into mine. Please contact me via email with details. donglee82@gmail.com Thanks.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Members

Message sent to nigxdoof.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Here is a very good post on what to do for halogen to xenon..

Halogen to Xenon Post

Hope it works out!

MK
Old 09-28-2007, 04:34 AM
Members

Does anyone have pictures of MTEC Conversion kit installed? Also, any comparison pictures of MTEC and OEM Xenon would be appreciated.