E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LED lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses.

I ended buying the MTEC license plate housing replacement. Plug & play, no errors and no flickering at all (I replaced the bulb with festoon type LEDs rather than replace the entire housing- the LEDs were supposed to be error free but they flickered on engine start and I didn't want to risk that again). $60 was a bit steep but they're extremely well made and they are brighter than bright- one can barely see my license plate because the light washes out the number

I bought the front indicator LEDs from the ebay link I posted in the OP- haven't had the chance to install it yet but will report back.

As for the LED side indicators I eventually bought these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170673555618...84.m1439.l2649

They are the same size as OEM, the four LEDs in each housing are plenty bright. They do flicker slightly upon engine start up, but I hear that is normal?

Still wondering about the LED replacements for the rear fog lights and rear brake lights. Anyone know what type of bulb are used for these on LCI tail lights?
Old 02-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Members

And as it turns out those front indicator LEDs are the wrong type. I don't know if there's a difference between the lights for the US market and Euro market, but it certainly seems like this is the case.

I read that the type of front indicator light was the correct type for LCI E60s- but as it turns out the flat blade is the incorrect plug and instead a round plug is used. Same story with my E66- was told that the flat blade type was the correct plug, and instead I got a type for the round plug. Ugh.

Luckily I have a pair of amber LEDs with the correct plug type which I bought for my E66 but never got round to installing. Hopefully these will work.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by yamanote
And as it turns out those front indicator LEDs are the wrong type. I don't know if there's a difference between the lights for the US market and Euro market, but it certainly seems like this is the case.

I read that the type of front indicator light was the correct type for LCI E60s- but as it turns out the flat blade is the incorrect plug and instead a round plug is used. Same story with my E66- was told that the flat blade type was the correct plug, and instead I got a type for the round plug. Ugh.

Luckily I have a pair of amber LEDs with the correct plug type which I bought for my E66 but never got round to installing. Hopefully these will work.
Yup, non-US E60e use a different type of bulb for the turn signal. And congrats on getting the Mtec license plate replacement, they're the best hands down.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Yup, non-US E60e use a different type of bulb for the turn signal. And congrats on getting the Mtec license plate replacement, they're the best hands down.
That explains it.

And yeah the mtec license plate LEDs are insanely bright. They light up the plate, bottom of the trunk, the bumper and several feet of road behind it Way brighter than the factory LEDs on my Lexus that's for sure.

Got the LED brake lights sorted out- ordered them from John@Motorcepts. Please tell me that the LCI E60e use the same brake light bulbs as the US E60...

One more question- if they were the same price would you go for MTEC or Philips XenStart D1S replacement bulbs? I'd be ordering 6000k color.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by yamanote
That explains it.

And yeah the mtec license plate LEDs are insanely bright. They light up the plate, bottom of the trunk, the bumper and several feet of road behind it Way brighter than the factory LEDs on my Lexus that's for sure.

Got the LED brake lights sorted out- ordered them from John@Motorcepts. Please tell me that the LCI E60e use the same brake light bulbs as the US E60...

One more question- if they were the same price would you go for MTEC or Philips XenStart D1S replacement bulbs? I'd be ordering 6000k color.
I wonder if TRS would make pretty good D1S bulbs.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 AM
Senior Members

Anyone managed to get some really bright reverse LED bulbs, without errors? I think they're T10s.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Members

I just bought the HID reverse lights from John @ Motorcepts- he's a vendor on these boards. They're expensive but supposed to be extremely bright.