E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Led License Plate Lamp Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

I recently installed the LED "plug and play" license plate lamps. These are the ones that come with the OEM style housings and have 18 LEDs (3 rows of 6 leds).

They were working fine for about 3 days. Then, today I put the car in reverse and the error warning flashed. I went outside the car and the lamp was out. Also, there was a horrible burning smell coming from the trunk.

I used to have the JLevi lamps in the car that were the form factor of the "bulb" and fit into the OEM housing. (I think these were called JLevi V2) Aside from the occasional "error codes" those lamps had no problems.

I am curious has anyone else had problems with the new style lamps (i.e. 18 LED / OEM style housing)? I am wondering if I simply had a "bad part" or this is representative of the quality of this product.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:50 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf
I recently installed the LED "plug and play" license plate lamps. These are the ones that come with the OEM style housings and have 18 LEDs (3 rows of 6 leds).

They were working fine for about 3 days. Then, today I put the car in reverse and the error warning flashed. I went outside the car and the lamp was out. Also, there was a horrible burning smell coming from the trunk.

I used to have the JLevi lamps in the car that were the form factor of the "bulb" and fit into the OEM housing. (I think these were called JLevi V2) Aside from the occasional "error codes" those lamps had no problems.

I am curious has anyone else had problems with the new style lamps (i.e. 18 LED / OEM style housing)? I am wondering if I simply had a "bad part" or this is representative of the quality of this product.

Thanks!
Havent had that problem with my RDash 18LED license plate lights. I think it might just be an bad part and you should check with your vendor first on what the warranty policy is on the item.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:51 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I've had them on my car or a while...got mine from Brabus..no issues here...work great. Where did you get yours?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I have an RDash set install, purchased from John (Brabus). No issues with them.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 525i. titanium grey, cold, premium, 6k headlights, V2 angle eyes, full LED interiors, LED licence plate lights, LED smoke side markers, LCI euro tail lights.

Originally Posted by Krozi
I've had them on my car or a while...got mine from Brabus..no issues here...work great. Where did you get yours?

+1
Old 02-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

I purposely didn't mention the vendor but it was Brabus. I contacted him and he told me he hand't seen this before and told me to return the part and he would handle it. Given others on this post noted they have had his unit and had no problems I am assuming it was simply a bad part. John (Brabus) was responsive in answering my questions and approving the return....Hopefully I will have better luck with the replacement part!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Yup. Got it from me. I've never seen that happen before. Never burning smell. :thumbsdown: I will be reporting this to RDash so they can do their QAs on it.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

John is a great vendor, I'm sure he will take care of it. I have RDash as well and haven't got any issues at all.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Huh...that's weird...both burned out?

What are the chances of that? I have never heard a single report of them burning out...
Old 02-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Huh...that's weird...both burned out?

What are the chances of that? I have never heard a single report of them burning out...

Only one burned out - I haven't returned it yet for the exchange....

Quick Reply: Led License Plate Lamp Failure