E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Leather Bra

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Dec 28 2004, 09:58 PM
[quote name='jochet' date='Dec 28 2004, 03:17 PM']Thanks for your input, but I'm curious about somthing, when a stone hits the clear bra does it tear it or damage the service? I have heard that it can be repaired if it gets badly torn, I guess I'm just wondering how it will hold up?
[snapback]73167[/snapback]

Absolutely not... its VERY stong.. it will not rip or tear. I can Mail you a sample piece... (if you're in the US of A) Hawaii? ummm alright I'll consider that too

But ya it will not rip or tear. If the stone is too large it will leave a dent on the hood tho. Cant help that but your paint will be ok...

I run into rocks every day as I can hear it bounce off the hood and mainly the windshield... and so far only 1 tiny paint chip right above the bra.

One time my dad was driving and the truck ahead picked up a LOT of rocks and he heard it hit all over the hood and windshield one hit so hard it cracked the windshield (*small crack*) my dad surely thought there would be huge damage but amazingly there was NO paint damage to the car or paint at all. It left rock dust on the bra tho where the rocks hit so hard but that wiped away fine. The tiny paint chip above the bra is not from this incident... I dont know when that was.
[snapback]73246[/snapback]
[/quote]
Umm....
I cut off the clear bra stuff so that I could repair the damage but I can assure you that it was there Before the chip.
Attached Thumbnails Leather Bra-dscn0741.jpg  
Old 12-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Dec 29 2004, 08:39 PM
I cut off the clear bra stuff so that I could repair the damage but I can assure you that it was there Before the chip.
[snapback]73651[/snapback]

Wow what did you hit? that must have been a pretty hard hit... and at a unlucky spot.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by kt8509' date='Dec 29 2004, 11:06 AM
Anybody have pics of their E60 with clear bra installed?? I'm curious to see how they did the hood and how much of the front bumper with or without seams.

Thanks!
[snapback]73469[/snapback]

Heres a pic... not mine... I'm getting mine done tomorrow... will post pics after.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Dec 29 2004, 11:46 PM
[quote name='realtyman' date='Dec 29 2004, 08:39 PM']I cut off the clear bra stuff so that I could repair the damage but I can assure you that it was there Before the chip.

Wow what did you hit? that must have been a pretty hard hit... and at a unlucky spot.
[snapback]73655[/snapback]
[/quote]
Right between the Kidneys! Ouch!
Not sure what I hit. Probably a Pterodactyl or something.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Dec 29 2004, 09:24 PM
Right between the Kidneys!? Ouch!? ?
Not sure what I hit.? Probably a Pterodactyl or something.?
[snapback]73669[/snapback]

A WHAT! hahaha a dinosaur decendent? LOL are you serious? I thought it looked like you hit a piece of flying 2X4 or somthing.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

I really appreciate everyones input an the pro's and con's of using a leather bra vs clear. My concern was that the plastic bra would get nicked up and eventually look horrible. I would prefer a perminant type of protection for the car, I drive both the Florida Turnpike and Interstate 95 daily, both of these roads are always under construction somewhere. Also, I'm a lazy kinda guy and I know that I will not want to start my day off by strapping on the cars bra.

On a final note, does anyone know a reputable installer for the clear bra in the Fort Lauderdale, FL. area other than going to my local BMW dealer? Also, what is a fair price for this instillation?

Thanks Guys,
Old 12-30-2004, 06:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E63 AMG -- Palladium Silver/Black. Love this car but looking to switch things up to keep things fresh. 2nd AMG in a row, but toying with coming back into the BMW fold!

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Dec 29 2004, 11:39 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Dec 28 2004, 09:58 PM'][quote name='jochet' date='Dec 28 2004, 03:17 PM']Thanks for your input, but I'm curious about somthing, when a stone hits the clear bra does it tear it or damage the service? I have heard that it can be repaired if it gets badly torn, I guess I'm just wondering how it will hold up?

Absolutely not... its VERY stong.. it will not rip or tear. I can Mail you a sample piece... (if you're in the US of A) Hawaii? ummm alright I'll consider that too

But ya it will not rip or tear. If the stone is too large it will leave a dent on the hood tho. Cant help that but your paint will be ok...

I run into rocks every day as I can hear it bounce off the hood and mainly the windshield... and so far only 1 tiny paint chip right above the bra.

One time my dad was driving and the truck ahead picked up a LOT of rocks and he heard it hit all over the hood and windshield one hit so hard it cracked the windshield (*small crack*) my dad surely thought there would be huge damage but amazingly there was NO paint damage to the car or paint at all. It left rock dust on the bra tho where the rocks hit so hard but that wiped away fine. The tiny paint chip above the bra is not from this incident... I dont know when that was.
[/quote]
Umm....
[/quote]

Realtyman,

That is nothing that a new M Aerodynamic kit would not solve...

When you bring the car to have the chip repaired, the "wifey" probably will not even notice the new body panels.

Here's your big chance to make the move.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mcorliss' date='Dec 30 2004, 10:02 AM
[quote name='realtyman' date='Dec 29 2004, 11:39 PM'][quote name='EBMCS03' date='Dec 28 2004, 09:58 PM'][quote name='jochet' date='Dec 28 2004, 03:17 PM']Thanks for your input, but I'm curious about somthing, when a stone hits the clear bra does it tear it or damage the service? I have heard that it can be repaired if it gets badly torn, I guess I'm just wondering how it will hold up?

[/quote]
Umm....
[/quote]

Realtyman,

That is nothing that a new M Aerodynamic kit would not solve...

When you bring the car to have the chip repaired, the "wifey" probably will not even notice the new body panels.

Here's your big chance to make the move.
[snapback]73745[/snapback]
[/quote]
I like your thinking!
Old 12-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jochet' date='Dec 30 2004, 05:58 AM
My concern was that the plastic bra would get nicked up and eventually look horrible.
[snapback]73730[/snapback]
You know what... it might but it will take a lot of years for that to happen. I have the clear bra installed on my MINI and its been 2 years and theres really no noticable nicks and damages... looks basically as good as new. Edges are a pain to keep clean but if you take care of it and clean it with the edge of a cloth and soft tooth brush it would be next to perfect.

Clear bra is geting installed on the BMW as I type... I'm going to check out how the guy is doing now. CHEERS!
Old 12-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Contributors

Here are the pics I took after the Clear Bra got installed.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...album&album=108

Quick Reply: Leather Bra