E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Leasing a 545, can I get an aftermarket exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005 | 08:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

When I bring the car in for service, will they deny service or void the warranty if they notice I've got a different exhaust installed?

I'm not familiar with the installation.... Would I be able to put the stock exhaust back on before lease-end and the dealer not notice?

What about just muffler or resonator changes? (not sure what all these parts do exactly so excuse me if its a stupid question)
Old 06-29-2005 | 10:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

You can do anythign you want to the car as long as you can bring it back to stock when the lease is up otherwise you will get hit with alot of charges.

The dealer will not say anything if you are bringing it in for routine service. They may give you hard time if you are doing warranty work. The dealer has to prove that the modification caused the failure. There is a law about this that is floating on the web somewhere. I forget what they call it.
Old 06-30-2005 | 09:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue 530i. Sport package, Auto, Premium package, xenon headlights. Mods to come!

Originally Posted by JonsTintedTails' date='Jun 29 2005, 01:04 PM
You can do anythign you want to the car as long as you can bring it back to stock when the lease is up otherwise you will get hit with alot of charges.?

The dealer will not say anything if you are bringing it in for routine service.? They may give you hard time if you are doing warranty work.? The dealer has to prove that the modification caused the failure.? There is a law about this that is floating on the web somewhere.? I forget what they call it.
[snapback]144238[/snapback]

Why "bring the car back to stock"? I'd never turn in a lease vehicle. Most of the time you can sell it and make money as long as it's worth more than the buy out. If it's not trade it in, usually you can break even on a trade in. I've done this even when I am over miles on the lease. Go ahead Mod away!
Old 06-30-2005 | 10:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Interesting... Never knew you could do that w/ a lease. Since I never lease I guess that's why I don't know!

But you make a good point, how soon can you sell the car? Can the lease be broken early and you just pay the difference?
Old 06-30-2005 | 11:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue 530i. Sport package, Auto, Premium package, xenon headlights. Mods to come!

Originally Posted by tomwid' date='Jun 30 2005, 01:00 PM
Interesting... Never knew you could do that w/ a lease.? Since I never lease I guess that's why I don't know!

But you make a good point, how soon can you sell the car?? Can the lease be broken early and you just pay the difference?
[snapback]144681[/snapback]
Usually leasing companies ask for the balance ot the lease payments plus the buyout. However some may offer you a discount on the lease payments because a portion of the payment is interest and if you pay sooner then you shouldn't have to pay all the interest. In addition, some leasing companies will negotiate on the buyout since most of them don't want to deal with disposing of a car. This is not generally true when you lease directly from the manufacturer. Another key point is never tell a dealer you want to lease before he gives you his bottom line price for buying the vehicle. Most dealers try and use list price when they compute a lease. Remember you can always negotiate a price on the vehicle then go out and find a leasing company that will "buy" the vehicle and lease it to you based upon the price you negotiated for. I even did this once with a private seller. The leasing company sent me a check for price of the car, which I gave to the seller and then they leased the vehicle to me. I guess I acted as the leasing companies agent in getting the vehicle. (I had found a great vehicle at a great price.) I usually don't lease vehicles myself but I have read a great deal about them and have helped others who were concerned about over miles ect. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2005 | 07:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

Sweet, thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by Hpdrifter' date='Jun 30 2005, 03:37 PM
[quote name='tomwid' date='Jun 30 2005, 01:00 PM']Interesting... Never knew you could do that w/ a lease.? Since I never lease I guess that's why I don't know!

But you make a good point, how soon can you sell the car?? Can the lease be broken early and you just pay the difference?
[snapback]144681[/snapback]
Usually leasing companies ask for the balance ot the lease payments plus the buyout. However some may offer you a discount on the lease payments because a portion of the payment is interest and if you pay sooner then you shouldn't have to pay all the interest. In addition, some leasing companies will negotiate on the buyout since most of them don't want to deal with disposing of a car. This is not generally true when you lease directly from the manufacturer. Another key point is never tell a dealer you want to lease before he gives you his bottom line price for buying the vehicle. Most dealers try and use list price when they compute a lease. Remember you can always negotiate a price on the vehicle then go out and find a leasing company that will "buy" the vehicle and lease it to you based upon the price you negotiated for. I even did this once with a private seller. The leasing company sent me a check for price of the car, which I gave to the seller and then they leased the vehicle to me. I guess I acted as the leasing companies agent in getting the vehicle. (I had found a great vehicle at a great price.) I usually don't lease vehicles myself but I have read a great deal about them and have helped others who were concerned about over miles ect. Good luck!
[snapback]144723[/snapback]
[/quote]