E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Upgrade and Halos.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Silverstone M5
Default LCI Upgrade and Halos.

This is a continuation of my previous thread, I finally sourced a set of LCI Adaptive Bi-Xenon headlamps: Voila

I get that there's a lot of information around here and there, I have been searching, but honestly, nothing really updated.

Long story short, 2006 M5 Pre-LCI. Adaptive Bi-Xenons. I previously installed Umnitza V4s, they are fantastically bright, but over time, water has seeped into the headlights, ruined some electronics, I get errors, not to mention, the clear covers are just done, they're pitted beyond a simple polishing up.

1) I recall there will be some re-programming required for the LCI upgrade. I have a tech that can re-program, but specifically, what needs to be modified? I imagine it mostly comes down to the inner lights, which are no longer the "flash" beams, but instead are a DRLs.

2) As far as the Halo rings, I'm looking for something that's bright in the daytime. I would love to go with the V4s, again, I know I can seal the headlamps much better, but I just can't bring myself to cutting these things open. I'm considering the Cree 20W (40, 80, 120W????) error-free, but I'm not sure how they look. Any opinions?

Last edited by jsaxophone; 09-14-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:25 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

i've been contemplating this for quite a while as well and have read quite a few forums about the topic. a few things to consider....

1) the existing wiring for the pre-LCI lamps won't connect to the new LCI housings. BMW makes a wiring harness but you have to cut and splice your existing wires into the new harness. i've also seen some harnesses that are already made that allow you to retain your stock plugs (8pin and 4pin) in case you ever wanted to go back to the pre-LCI housings. however, the harnesses ive seen have been for non-xenon but maybe there are some xenon ones out there. cutting a splicing on a new connector always concerned me - not because it's complicated, but it makes it hard to go back to your pre-LCI lights if you wanted/needed to.

2) based on your model year, i believe your existing light module (LM) can be retained. i think the cutoff was mid-2005 sometime. it may need to be reprogrammed however.

3) even though the AHL modules are the same from pre-LCI to LCI, some people claim that the AHL modules don't work after the conversion and they've had to order new units. i dont know much about this topic but it's worth investigating further if you havent already.

you've probably seen the attached BMW PDF about the conversion, but I also made my own document with some more details about wire colors, locations, pinouts, etc. it's attached here in PDF form (PPT files not allowed) but if you want the original PPT version, PM me.

Good luck!

E60 pre-LCI to LCI Lights Conversion.pdf
LIGHT Wiring Diagrams.pdf
Old 09-14-2016, 07:22 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

I did the retrofit with the LM2 and Euro Xenon-NON AHL. I installed a HID kit for the DRL and it shows up even in the day time.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:52 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

cutoff date for the LM1 was late 2006 build. i have a 2007 model with LM1 my build date is 30/6/2006. so its probably still after that. I read once it was late month 9/2006. so most probably you still have LM1 if you have a 2006 model. Also best buys on LCI models are LUX LEDs or Bimmian's WeissLicht LED kit. The advantage of the LED kit over HID is that its made specifically for your car. no dimming over time. your BMW dims the newer stock angel eyes when they heat by decreasing voltage over time. The LEDs created by these companies dont dim because they understand that and they dont use that much power so even when the LM2 sends less voltage to the angel eyes they still are bright and dont change voltage as the driver compensates. Oh and dont bother with cheaper LEDs, they can be even less bright then the stock bulb. I wouldn't open up your new headlights, maybe i'm just a bit too paranoid to do that!
Old 09-15-2016, 06:50 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BostonJon
1) the existing wiring for the pre-LCI lamps won't connect to the new LCI housings. BMW makes a wiring harness but you have to cut and splice your existing wires into the new harness. i've also seen some harnesses that are already made that allow you to retain your stock plugs (8pin and 4pin) in case you ever wanted to go back to the pre-LCI housings. however, the harnesses ive seen have been for non-xenon but maybe there are some xenon ones out there. cutting a splicing on a new connector always concerned me - not because it's complicated, but it makes it hard to go back to your pre-LCI lights if you wanted/needed to.
Hmmm, where can I buy this harness? Splicing is not a problem for me.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:28 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

Although true about the dimming, This only happens when you turn on your headlights. By using Carly app you can disable the dimming which is what I did.

Although the benefit of the LED may easier such as PnP.

The HID will require a HID kit plus the cost of a relay(about $5-7 on ebay)

Originally Posted by DanielFD
cutoff date for the LM1 was late 2006 build. i have a 2007 model with LM1 my build date is 30/6/2006. so its probably still after that. I read once it was late month 9/2006. so most probably you still have LM1 if you have a 2006 model. Also best buys on LCI models are LUX LEDs or Bimmian's WeissLicht LED kit. The advantage of the LED kit over HID is that its made specifically for your car. no dimming over time. your BMW dims the newer stock angel eyes when they heat by decreasing voltage over time. The LEDs created by these companies dont dim because they understand that and they dont use that much power so even when the LM2 sends less voltage to the angel eyes they still are bright and dont change voltage as the driver compensates. Oh and dont bother with cheaper LEDs, they can be even less bright then the stock bulb. I wouldn't open up your new headlights, maybe i'm just a bit too paranoid to do that!
Old 09-15-2016, 03:10 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by jsaxophone
Hmmm, where can I buy this harness? Splicing is not a problem for me.
here:

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...uine-bmw-part/
Old 09-16-2016, 05:00 AM
New Members

OK, I think I'm on track, now, I got in contact with an ebay seller who specializes in this upgrade.

Some background, I will need the LM2 (I have the LM1). Upgrading the LM2 means I have to do the front AND the back at the same time. There is a small amount of coding I will also have to do, He's going to show me, step by step. I will probably do a detailed write-up when I'm done, since there doesn't seem to be any catch-all LCI upgrade thread, that I know of.

Purchased (or being purchased)
Used (nice) LCI Headlights (Bi-Xenon, AHL)
Used (nice) LCI Taillights
Front and Rear Retrofit Wiring kit
Lighting Module (LM2 E6X Xenon AHL)
Programming Cable
DTEC H8 v9.5 100W LEDs for the halo rings (supposedly really nice)

So far, about $2k spent.

I will be selling off my old LM1 and Tinted Tail lights, as well as parting out the headlamps, like the ballasts, AHL, and lenses.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 206

I got all the parts you mentioned above but have yet got time to install those. Will do at the next weekend (finger crossed). Still a bit unclear on the coding though
Old 10-18-2016, 03:29 AM
New Members

all finished: https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...1/#post1583136