E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Paddle Shifter addon

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

I would like to add paddle shifters to my car with LCI steptronic. Is there a kit I can look into? I did some searching, but I kept finding threads for pre-lci

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 AM
Contributors

I make paddle retrofit kits for the E60 pre-lci.. currently working on the lci... shoot me a PM and I can take you through some steps i've came up with so far.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

awesome!! will do
Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by Luxurytax
I would like to add paddle shifters to my car with LCI steptronic. Is there a kit I can look into? I did some searching, but I kept finding threads for pre-lci

Thanks for the help in advance!
All you needed to do was scroll down the page a little further...
https://5series.net/forums/topic/550...-sat-retrofit/

There isn't a "kit" per se, but I did it with the OEM parts and programming so that my car now thinks it came from the factory with the SAT paddle option (and a heated m-tech steering wheel too!). All the info is in the thread (a few pages in...).
Old 11-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by Wpg550
All you needed to do was scroll down the page a little further...
https://5series.net/forums/topic/550...-sat-retrofit/

There isn't a "kit" per se, but I did it with the OEM parts and programming so that my car now thinks it came from the factory with the SAT paddle option (and a heated m-tech steering wheel too!). All the info is in the thread (a few pages in...).
WPG-I happened to be in Germany and asked a huge dealer in hamburg for advice. He would sell me the missing parts (left and right paddle + wires) for euro 305 but didnt have in stock so didnt get them yet. Interestingly he was sure my existing m- wheel would mount the paddles - if not, an m-wheel (stripped, not trim or airbag - but its transferable) could be had for about eur 350. Assuming my danish dealer will do the fitting, code and VO for about eur 300 I could complete my SAT for somewhere between eur 600-900. Knowing I already have the SAT stick installed, would you deem the paddles worth the added expense?

Ps been corresponding with motivemods who've stretched to help, but sounds like present setup is aimed at those with standard automatic who want paddles, rather than those of us who have an almost completed SAT install and want the full functionality of the LCI SAT.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
WPG-I happened to be in Germany and asked a huge dealer in hamburg for advice. He would sell me the missing parts (left and right paddle + wires) for euro 305 but didnt have in stock so didnt get them yet. Interestingly he was sure my existing m- wheel would mount the paddles - if not, an m-wheel (stripped, not trim or airbag - but its transferable) could be had for about eur 350. Assuming my danish dealer will do the fitting, code and VO for about eur 300 I could complete my SAT for somewhere between eur 600-900. Knowing I already have the SAT stick installed, would you deem the paddles worth the added expense?

Ps been corresponding with motivemods who've stretched to help, but sounds like present setup is aimed at those with standard automatic who want paddles, rather than those of us who have an almost completed SAT install and want the full functionality of the LCI SAT.
I absolutely love the paddles, although I've never had the in-between step with the SAT shifter (and sport button functionality?) without them. If I already had the full SAT sport button functionality - assuming you already have the tighter steering and improved throttle respose and shift points - I would have to think twice about the added expense for just the paddles...

For day to day driving, I probably do use them every day in traffic to engine brake in traffic, etc. but that's just my driving style coming from having a manual for many years. They also came in handy when I took my car through a performance driving school -- but again, the value for you will depend on your driving style and intentions. As for the steering wheel, the normal m-tech steering wheel does not have the mount points for the shifters (I looked at the one taken off my car), but all of the switches/airbag/trim transfer to the new wheel. You will definitely need a new wheel (the core part).

One last thing to consider if you decide to go ahead... if you are in a cold winter climate, you can also switch to the heated m-tech wheel (from 2009+ models) with the paddles -- the wheel is the same price. You would need to add a fairly inexpensive steering column switch (under $100) and possibly the spring coil pack (around $200 IIRC), but then you can have both the paddles and a heated wheel -- which, in case you haven't had one before, is AWESOME in winter. It's just starting to get below freezing here, and I am loving the heated wheel.

PS - the heated wheel function also requires programming and changes to VO code, but they can be done all at once.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

WPG - I shift manually all the time too; I like the engine braking. I wonder whether the paddles will allow manual shift even if you didn't move the stick to the left gate?

Actually, I don't have the improved throttle response and it doesn't hold the gears, that got lost when it got a new VO and then back to the old VO so I need that fixed. I only get the super super heavy steering now.

I don't think I'll splash for the heated steering wheel. I've noted your enthusiasm but it sounds like a very small thing - though I've never tried it. I do have heated seats and the auxillary heater so when I get into the car on a frosty morning like it was this morning, it's nice and warm all over and I don't need to scrape the windows so a heated steering wheel seems frivolous - sorry... do you have the auxillary heater?

I'll be sure to order a new wheel; got to sift through the thread now to find the right part number (without heat). Ordering in Germany where it is much cheaper than here and have made a deal with BMW locally to do the install and get the new VO. Will be sure to post results.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

ok found it I think, on http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/32342283947/ - M sp.st.wheel, leather, shift paddles part no 32 34 2 283 947 which costs 360 euro. The other bits are:

61-31-9-115-638 Paddle shift lever L eur 126
61-31-9-116-317 Paddle shift lever R eur 126
61-31-6-976-397 Wiring set eur 14

So this should set me back eur 626 + shipping from Germany. Will order right away
Old 11-17-2010, 08:54 AM
Members

WPG - I shift manually all the time too; I like the engine braking. I wonder whether the paddles will allow manual shift even if you didn't move the stick to the left gate?
Yes - you can be in "D" or or "D" with sport button and still shift with the paddles... the only difference is that the tranny will revert back to "D" after a few seconds of not using the paddles (a little longer when you have the sport button pressed)

Actually, I don't have the improved throttle response and it doesn't hold the gears, that got lost when it got a new VO and then back to the old VO so I need that fixed. I only get the super super heavy steering now.
OMG! Then DEFINITELY get the retrofit completed. The sport button functionality (throttle/shifting), even compared to the "DS" shifter position, is a night and day performance improvement -- although your MPG will suffer (but the smile will never leave your face)

I don't think I'll splash for the heated steering wheel. I've noted your enthusiasm but it sounds like a very small thing - though I've never tried it. I do have heated seats and the auxillary heater so when I get into the car on a frosty morning like it was this morning, it's nice and warm all over and I don't need to scrape the windows so a heated steering wheel seems frivolous - sorry... do you have the auxillary heater?
So you had to rub that in... (just kidding) No, unfortunately they do not offer the aux heater in North America. I would probably agree with you that the heated wheel is not necessary if you already have the aux heat.

I'll be sure to order a new wheel; got to sift through the thread now to find the right part number (without heat). Ordering in Germany where it is much cheaper than here and have made a deal with BMW locally to do the install and get the new VO. Will be sure to post results.
Good luck - for sure let us know how it works out. And remember, if you encounter any strange behaviour when programming, etc. (like the shifter won't stay in "DS" mode) let me know -- it will probably be wiring or something in the programming VO codes...
Old 11-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Thanks. Actually shifter not staying in DS mode was the problem I had with the new VO before, without the paddles, so hope the paddles will solve it but I'm cognizant of the issues you've had and I'm counting on your help if it goes sour!

Ps prices posted earlier was before 19% VAT apparently. Should get the parts next week and then it's off to the local dealer. Reverting.

Quick Reply: LCI Paddle Shifter addon