E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI headlights retrofit gone wrong - high beams instead of brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 03:37 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525i
Default LCI headlights retrofit gone wrong - high beams instead of brake lights

Hi all, I am new here, I’ve posted this in one other forum, but no replies there…
Also English is not my native language, so if anyone cannot understand what I’m saying, please ask me for clarification!

So my story starts here...
I own an E61 525i M54 from 12/2004 (pre-LCI). I am currently trying to retrofit LCI headlights on it. I found two PDF documents out with instructions for the retrofit and I followed the one that is closer to my car cabling (I didn’t find exactly the same cabling - I will explain later on).
Before the retrofit I’ve had pre-LCI halogen headlights with leveling - I am not sure if they were AHL or not (when I start the car the lights got up and down and you can level them with a knob.
I bought used LCI dynamic Bi-Xenon light headlights - the ones with the outer xenon projector and the inner lens for cornering lights (probably AHL) and also bought used LM2 module with AHL.

I googled how to retrofit and have found a PDF document that I “thought” is the right one.

So I started the retrofit and cut out the wire harnesses on the car and started making the retrofit connectors. In the document that I found it stated that the headlight should have two connectors - one 8pin and one 4pin. It sure did... so when I cut the harness I counted the cables and on the 8pin connector I've had 7 pins - pin1 was never there (the headlight didn't have the appropriate pin as well), so I spliced another cable from pin 7 which was the same color (at least from the diagram).
Also on the 4pin connector I had 4 cables, but on the LCI light I didn't have a pin to connect pin8, so pin4 from the small connector was isolated and left unconnected

this is the instruction as well

A few hours later after finishing the connector for the headlights the only thing left to do was to replace the LM module with LM2 one (I've bought LM2 with AHL.. at least that's what it states on the label)
I also went thru the step that states to move cables from the harness of the connector - pin 25 to pin 63 and pin 40 to pin 11

So far - so good... then the problems started. I am pretty new to coding and I didn't find any in depth tutorials on coding LCI headlights so I coded what I found - I am not sure it's the correct thing

I have then opened NCSExpert and tried to recode the LM2 module to my car, by transferring the VIN from the CAS. Also I have coded $524 (and then later on I cave coded $522 also) in the LMA module, but the things never worked as it should.
When I unlock the car the Halo rings and side markers light up - welcome lights are working.
When I start the engine the xenons light up - low beams are working.
But...
When I pull the headlight stalk towards me (flash to pass) only the dashboard lights up with the high beam lights... The actual high beams are not starting. Also when I push it forward for high beams as well - the same thing happens
When I try to steer from left to right neither the cornering lights start to light up nor the headlights are turning from side to side.
When I start my blinkers (left or right) they flash normally only a couple of times and then they start blinking fast and a warning pops up that I have a fault with my rear blinkers (that is because I am still with pre LCI taillights).. - This doesn't happen when I start my hazard lights
All the bulbs in the headlights are working. Also the cornering lights are working as well, because I saw them for a brief time when I recoded the LMA and the whole headlight flashes

And now the big problem, that I never could find anyone talking about -
When I press the brake pedal - my high beam xenons are lighting up with my brake lights... I CANNOT FIND A REASON WHY...

I think that this module has been coded with some functions from the previous owner, because my welcome lights started working from the start and I don't know how to reset it and then afterwards how to code the features that I want. Also I want to fix my high beams to not go every time I press the brake.

Please help... I've been banging my head for a week now and I cannot find any reason why this happens and how to properly code the LCI headlights
Thanks

Last edited by Gad1nski; 11-06-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:54 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

A while back I did similar, with E60 Halogen to Euro Bi xenon, (without cornering lights).

I used this post as a guide,
https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-p...trofit-122970/

The high beans operate using a shutter

Pop PIN 12 (Left High Beam) and PIN 50 (Right High Beam) out by pressing the
release in with a paper clip/Flat head and pulling on the wire. You'll need to press
the release twice per wire. Add a pin/wire to # 48 (this is for the magnetic shutter).

Then, combine these three wires like so.......

Old 11-12-2021, 08:18 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JeremyR
A while back I did similar, with E60 Halogen to Euro Bi xenon, (without cornering lights).

I used this post as a guide,
https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-p...trofit-122970/

The high beans operate using a shutter
Thank you for the reply!
I already saw this post, but I am not sure that it will resolve one of the main problems I have - for some reason when I press the brakes my high beams light up (the shutter moves). I have tried to code the cornering lights as high beams and then when I press the breaks they light up. The high beam stalk does nothing and I am afraid that even if I rewire the high beam cables to pin48 as stated in this DIY only the stalk will work, but the brake will still trigger the high beams
Old 11-12-2021, 10:41 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

Do your rear fog lights work?

Also,
I think it might make a difference because..

Pressing brakes pedal = 12V on pin 12 + 50

If you unplug, it's no way possible to trigger high beam shutter as it isn't wired into the light module.

Then if you don't want to wire it up just as yet, take a volt meter or tester on pin 48. Once you push stalk to trigger high beams, if you see a 12v, then it should work.

Last edited by JeremyR; 11-12-2021 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added more info.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:08 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by JeremyR
Do your rear fog lights work?

Also,
I think it might make a difference because..

Pressing brakes pedal = 12V on pin 12 + 50

If you unplug, it's no way possible to trigger high beam shutter as it isn't wired into the light module.

Then if you don't want to wire it up just as yet, take a volt meter or tester on pin 48. Once you push stalk to trigger high beams, if you see a 12v, then it should work.
Honestly, I am not quite sure if the fog lights worked, but I am almost certain that they were indeed working.
Currently I have reverted to the pre-LCI headlights in order for me to drive the car, because with high beams every time I press the brake I might get beaten somewhere
I am going to gather some more information and "knowledge" and then I will try the procedure again