E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Koni Yellows?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

Hey Amigos

I'm putting my Eibach springs back on after a long and expensive lesson, and was talking to a guy that can do this for me, but he mentioned I should get new shocks because the stock shocks will blow out after 5-10k miles. Is this the case? I didn't plan on that big of an investment, but also don't want to kick myself in a few months when my stock shocks blow out.

So he mentioned Koni Yellows as good quality but also being able to save a few benjamins.

Advice is appreciated!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

it varies on how fast your stock shocks will wear out but for sure they will wear out quicker than usual. also most do prefer to do springs and shocks together not only to not worry about shocks later on, but to get everything done altogether to save on labor.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

That is true. It is strongly recommended you also replace stock oem shock when replacing springs, even if you have oem sport shocks. These oem parts are designed to compliment each other, but not aftermarket parts/upgrades. Plus, shocks are considered wear items and since replacing springs require removal of the shocks you may as well "kill two birds with one stone."

Can't speak for the Koni's (they've got good reviews btw), but I'll vouch for the Bilstein Sports since that is what I currently have matched to my Eibach ProKit. I absolutely love this setup. As long as you replace your oem shocks with sports shocks, you should be fine. I'm sure others will chime in recommending coilovers, which is another alternative. good luck

Old 08-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NeRwEEzy
it varies on how fast your stock shocks will wear out but for sure they will wear out quicker than usual. also most do prefer to do springs and shocks together not only to not worry about shocks later on, but to get everything done altogether to save on labor.

That's what he said too....to save on labor. Are the Koni Yellows any good? I've done some research and they seem to get good reviews, but mostly on Asian cars.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Senior Members

I have the Eibach's and Koni Yellow sport shocks. I think its a great kit! If you get it DO place the bump stops back on the shocks, and cut them down a bit to shorten them.
I have mine turned slightly harder but even then the ride doesn't suffer. Its about as good as it gets without going to coilovers.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
That is true. It is strongly recommended you also replace stock oem shock when replacing springs, even if you have oem sport shocks. These oem parts are designed to compliment each other, but not aftermarket parts/upgrades. Plus, shocks are considered wear items and since replacing springs require removal of the shocks you may as well "kill two birds with one stone."

Can't speak for the Koni's (they've got good reviews btw), but I'll vouch for the Bilstein Sports since that is what I currently have matched to my Eibach ProKit. I absolutely love this setup. As long as you replace your oem shocks with sports shocks, you should be fine. I'm sure others will chime in recommending coilovers, which is another alternative. good luck

What kind of ride can I expect with the new shocks and springs? My stock set up is super smooth, but I get alot of roll when cornering too fast.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dutch 530i
I have the Eibach's and Koni Yellow sport shocks. I think its a great kit! If you get it DO place the bump stops back on the shocks, and cut them down a bit to shorten them.
I have mine turned slightly harder but even then the ride doesn't suffer. Its about as good as it gets without going to coilovers.

Thanks Dutch, that's the exact set up I'm looking at. Joining this forum has bee educational to say the least
Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by PlanB
What kind of ride can I expect with the new shocks and springs? My stock set up is super smooth, but I get alot of roll when cornering too fast.
As with any aftermarket upgrade, especially with suspension, you will have to sacrifice some comfort. But to be honest my ride comfort was pretty close to stock, just a tad bit firmer, and no where near harsh at all. I have the sport pkg, so combining these eibachs and bilsteins along with my DD (Dynamic Drive) is PURE joy during cornering, especially at freeway offramps I didn't see no sport pkg in your sig so if you're concerned with roll during cornering, I'd suggest upgrading the sway bars. That'll make the biggest difference/improvement while cornering.

btw, the bilstein sports won't require re-using your oem bump stops since they are "built-in" the shocks
Old 08-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

Koni Yellow Sports are Firm but not rigid and bouncy. I drive on full firm and sometimes its a lil harsh here and there. Full soft is factory smooth with great steering, Full Firm is sporty and steering feel is precise, either way you go though the steering wheel never veers. I have had the Koni's for 28,000 daily driven miles.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Contributors

it depends on your driving habits as well. I was told the same thing when I had them on my S2K, I had them for 13K miles with no signs of blowing. Can't really go wrong with Eibachs.

Quick Reply: Koni Yellows?