E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Knocking Noise with 166 Rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

For anyone who's gotten the OEM #166 rims, do you hear any strange knocking noise from the front wheels when going over certain bumps or falling in certain potholes? Is this what you guys would consider rubbing? It shouldn't since the diameter and tire width are nearly exactly the same as the OEM style 124 setup. I can't really explain it and It's been bothering me for a while.

I first thought it was because I had wheel locks in my wheels. The wheel lock bolts were a bit longer than the OEM bolts so I thought maybe they were hitting something inside there. I had those bolts cut down to match the OEM size and the knocking is still there, so it's not that.

I now think it might have something to do with my M-Aero kit installation. The plastic wheel liner seems to be not as secure as it should be so maybe something is moving there causing that noise?

This can be easily replicated by driving over a speed bump with one wheel. At my local home depot there's some great speed bumps I can test this with. I'll probably go today with another person to look at the car on the outside to see whats going on.

Any ideas?
Old 08-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some thing inside the tire fell off? Jack the car up and spinning the wheel to see if you can hear that knocking noise.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Nothing here. Speed bumps are my worst enemy right now since lowering my car and I've gone over a few without any knocking sound.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='317638' date='Aug 1 2006, 07:18 PM
For anyone who's gotten the OEM #166 rims, do you hear any strange knocking noise from the front wheels when going over certain bumps or falling in certain potholes? Is this what you guys would consider rubbing? It shouldn't since the diameter and tire width are nearly exactly the same as the OEM style 124 setup. I can't really explain it and It's been bothering me for a while.

I first thought it was because I had wheel locks in my wheels. The wheel lock bolts were a bit longer than the OEM bolts so I thought maybe they were hitting something inside there. I had those bolts cut down to match the OEM size and the knocking is still there, so it's not that.

I now think it might have something to do with my M-Aero kit installation. The plastic wheel liner seems to be not as secure as it should be so maybe something is moving there causing that noise?

This can be easily replicated by driving over a speed bump with one wheel. At my local home depot there's some great speed bumps I can test this with. I'll probably go today with another person to look at the car on the outside to see whats going on.

Any ideas?
Check up if the brake pads are somehow "loose" on the calipers
Old 08-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

I now think my problem has nothing to do with the wheels or mkit but something to do with the suspension in that area. Something must have gotten loose over time. I'm pretty sure the knocking is only from the right passenger side but I'll verify this tonight before I make my appointment with the dealer for this and my A/C issue.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Contributors

Hi Mark,
If that's the case, I had similar issue with my Toyota Solara when those struts does not have a good contact to the strut mount (those two white round shaped on both side of engine). It sounds worse over the time.
I replaced struts and it solved the problem.