E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Kicker Subs + Rockford Fosgate

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006 | 09:33 AM
Contributors

I finally went out, bought parts for my audio setup. I went with the trunk setup instead of the SWS-8 under seat because mainly, the shop had some trouble ordering it. Anyways, I have 2 Kickers CVR12 and a Rockford Fosgate Punch 800/2. Its pumping real good... shaking the crap out of my license plate and trunk. But when I drive, it seems like all the bass is outside the car, and the little i hear is coming from the back too much, is there any way i can get to sound better and more center in the car? All and all I'm having trouble having the sound come into the car.
Here's a bad pic i took with my phone at 11pm after 4 hours of hardwork.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Setup.jpg (322.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 07-22-2006 | 06:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

hey the pic doesn't work but I also have Kicker Subs with a Rosgate Amp heres my setup.. soon to be changed with much more customization

Old 07-22-2006 | 08:53 PM
Contributors

any idea how to get the sound into the car more? I don't have folding seats or anything..
Old 07-24-2006 | 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

There are several possible reasons for this:

1. Phase Cancellation. It is possible that your subwoofers are installed in such a way that when wired in normal phase, they create a dead-spot inside your cabin. This gives the effect of reduced bass response inside the car. Try wiring the subs out of phase, and see if this helps. Your shop should know how to do this, its really simple. If that makes the bass louder, then you'll know what the problem is.... and your shop should have some recommendations for what to do.

If this is the problem, you may want to consider a phase shift controller. This is a type of signal processor which is used when your speaker setup has less-than-ideal positioning. They are more commonly used for midrange/tweeter component sets, but they could also be used with subwoofers.

2. Improper venting in the trunk. As you know, subwoofers create sound by moving the cones back and forth. This back and forth motion also moves air, and therefore the degree of cone movement depends on the air pressure inside the speaker enclosure, and inside the car.

For example, a sealed speaker enclosure typically does not sound as loud as a ported enclosure, primarily because the air pressure in a sealed box restricts the cone movement of the speaker. Therefore the speaker cone can't move as far, and creates less volume. A ported enclosure has a hole cut into it (called a port) which allows air to move in and out of the box. This makes it easier for the speaker cone to move back and forth, and so you get more volume with the same amount of power. The trade-off is that a ported box does not have as accurate bass because the extra cone excursion is harder to control.

Anyway, that's how air pressure inside the subwoofer enclosure works... but the air pressure inside the car matters, too. Modern cars have become so airtight that when you close all the doors, windows, and trunklid.. and air pressure inside can actually affect the subwoofers. A good example of this is when you close your car doors and the air pressure makes it harder. But when a window is cracked open, you close the door and it slams really hard, and surprises the hell out of you.

It could be possible that the trunk on our E60s is so airtight, that it affects the ability of subwoofers to move back and forth, similar to the air pressure inside a sealed box.

Check with your stereo shop, though. They should know what to do.... if they are worth their salt.