E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Just replaced the amp in the trunk ...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone wants to hear exactly what I did, I'll post a walk thru. After replacing this amp, I'm convinced that it's the very first thing anyone with the standard audio should do.

I was able to 1-for-1 put each wire going to the dinky amp to an MTX Thunder 280. It made a HUGE difference in the overall sound. Pretty easy to do, too. No more overheating
and bass cutting out. Rather awesome sound! Absolutely nothing destructive and totally reversible - so OK for leases.

- Wes
Old 04-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by westal' post='411617' date='Apr 8 2007, 10:11 PM
If anyone wants to hear exactly what I did, I'll post a walk thru. After replacing this amp, I'm convinced that it's the very first thing anyone with the standard audio should do.

I was able to 1-for-1 put each wire going to the dinky amp to an MTX Thunder 280. It made a HUGE difference in the overall sound. Pretty easy to do, too. No more overheating
and bass cutting out. Rather awesome sound! Absolutely nothing destructive and totally reversible - so OK for leases.

- Wes
sounds good have a DIY and pics???
Old 04-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by westal' post='411617' date='Apr 9 2007, 12:11 AM

- Wes
It doesnt blow the stock speakers?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Members

Well it certainly could - but I have them CRANKING and they sound totally awesome. I was determined to replace them, but they
sound so good that unless 1 blows, they're staying. Like any speaker, overpowering just gives more headroom and cleaner sound - but
you have to be a little careful not to overwork the speaker.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by westal' post='411620' date='Apr 9 2007, 12:30 AM
Well it certainly could - but I have them CRANKING and they sound totally awesome. I was determined to replace them, but they
sound so good that unless 1 blows, they're staying. Like any speaker, overpowering just gives more headroom and cleaner sound - but
you have to be a little careful not to overwork the speaker.
please post pictures and DYI, it would be very helpful, and from what you say it was an easy process?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

This is for standard audio people only right? As in people with Logic7 are outta luck...
Old 04-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Members

Well, I have an E60 - USA 2007 530i with standard audio. I'm not sure what amp the Logic7 system uses, but I'd be willing to bet that you could
do a very similar thing that I've done. It's just a matter of "run each wire from the amp harness to the new amp", or should be that, anyway.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i..... ex

HHmmmm I'm actually very interested in adding a 10" sub in my trunk but not sure how to go about doing it. I've done a few setups before in Japanese cars, those are easy, but no BMWs before. I heard wires would have to run to the front of the car and into the rear radio area.......... Confusing!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:50 PM
Members

Well this isn't adding any speakers. This is just beefing up the amp that drives the existing subs under the seats. But man I'm tellin' ya, the
difference is unbelievable and the sound is phenomenal.

The problem with new sub speaker in the trunk - I don't have load-thru and the trunk is WAY sealed. It would be hard to get sound into
the cabin.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Members

But if someone wants to add a sub in the trunk, this procedure would still be very useful. A powered sub just needs a line level
signal and speaker leads coming to it, and those signals are easily tapped at the harness. That harness-tap was the beauty of this.

Quick Reply: Just replaced the amp in the trunk ...