E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Just put on brand new Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My RFTs were too noisy and wobbly so I decided to put on 4 new Goodyear F1 Asymmetrics which cost $90.00 at the BMW dealership for mounting and balancing. But as I start driving off, the vibrations are more intense than the runflats. The whole car is shaking. Should this happen w/brand new tires or did the dealership do a shat job at balancing. I initially asked them to road force them, but they said they would only do it if something is wrong with the initial balancing. Should I try to get the road force for free from the BMW dealership?

Thanks,
Doc
Old 06-16-2008, 07:05 PM
Members

I would suspect something else is wrong. Ideas that come to mind are:

bent wheel(s),
alignment issues (does anyone else drive the vehicle-wife,adult child, valet?) or
defective wheel/mounting surface... Just some thoughts.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by carfucious' post='604058' date='Jun 16 2008, 10:05 PM
I would suspect something else is wrong. Ideas that come to mind are:

bent wheel(s),
alignment issues (does anyone else drive the vehicle-wife,adult child, valet?) or
defective wheel/mounting surface... Just some thoughts.
I brought my car in last week and complained about the run flats shimmy and they told me that my wheels were sound and all I needed was new tires. So I did what they suggested and put on new tires.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i

get a road force done on the wheels, that will rule out any bent wheels. Also in my experience the bmw dealerships are very bad at alignments.
twice(different dealerships) i have had to take the car to independent shops to get the alignment re-done.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

They need a good re-balance. Alignments rarely cure vibration issues. Vibration is almost ALWAYS an tire/wheel issue.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get it back to the dealership ASAP and ask what the hell they did and fix it. Odd they won't do the road force after you asked them. Not like it really takes much more time.

Is it worse then the old tires?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='604260' date='Jun 17 2008, 08:46 AM
I'd get it back to the dealership ASAP and ask what the hell they did and fix it. Odd they won't do the road force after you asked them. Not like it really takes much more time.

Is it worse then the old tires?
Yes, the vibrations are worse than the old tires. I had the original RFTs on before. I am currently at the BMW dealer and my SA is out testing it as we speak. I'll post their findings soon.

Doc
Old 06-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i MSport, Silver Grey, Step, 19" 172 Wheels, Media Pkg inc MP3, Heated Front Seats, Black Leather Seats, Aux Port, Space Saver Wheel, M Rear Spoiler, Ext Voice System

Hi Doc,

I had this same thing happen to me when I changed my Conti's (on 172's) to GY Assymetrics on the rear - I've not had a nice ride since - am suffering the same problem as you report -> vibration plus wander/tramlining. Wheel balancing has not helped. I posted this some time back here but can't find my post.

I also emailed BMW UK and they mailed back that the only tyres for my rears were the conti sports 2(fronts had dunlop and conti as choices). The GY's cost me ?340 already and the conti's would be another ?520 for two!! I'm just bearing it - maybe you'll have a easier soln from your SA and can get your ride running smooth again. Keep us posted.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by simba' post='604515' date='Jun 17 2008, 04:14 PM
Hi Doc,

I had this same thing happen to me when I changed my Conti's (on 172's) to GY Assymetrics on the rear - I've not had a nice ride since - am suffering the same problem as you report -> vibration plus wander/tramlining. Wheel balancing has not helped. I posted this some time back here but can't find my post.

I also emailed BMW UK and they mailed back that the only tyres for my rears were the conti sports 2(fronts had dunlop and conti as choices). The GY's cost me ?340 already and the conti's would be another ?520 for two!! I'm just bearing it - maybe you'll have a easier soln from your SA and can get your ride running smooth again. Keep us posted.
So after getting my wheels road forced at BMW which cost $60.00 (my SA felt sorry for me since they did a shat job balancing and gave me half off the $120.00)...they were still vibrating. So I took my vehicle to a local tire shop and the front two wheels were off a bit. The left front wheel was off and the manager of the tire shop balanced it using the strobe light balancing technique. He looked at the right front and it was out of round. I saw it myself for there was a hop to it. I don't know how the BMW shop missed this. So I called Tirerack and they are going to send me a replacement for free and also pay for the balancing and alignment.

I will install them next week and also request the strobe light for the new wheel. Will post the results.

Thanks for the advice.

Doc
Old 07-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i MSport, Silver Grey, Step, 19" 172 Wheels, Media Pkg inc MP3, Heated Front Seats, Black Leather Seats, Aux Port, Space Saver Wheel, M Rear Spoiler, Ext Voice System

Finally managed to get my wheels balanced at a place using the GSP9700 Road Force equipment (http://www.alignmycar.co.uk/)
Amazing difference to the crappy handling I had when I changed rears from conti's to GY Asymmetrics. The tramlining has stopped, the car is steady and has no vibrations - it's back to what a BMW should feel like - woohoo! BTW, I only had the balancing done so no tracking changes.
Well worth the ?47 (I forgot the voucher offer so paid the full price).

I certainly recommend giving this a go if you're suffering similar problems - thanks to all the ppl who recommended this in the first place!