E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Just installed BMW Base Support System

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Anyone interested in a writeup/detailed pics?

Installation was a breeze, although not as fast as the flip up the plate and screw it on types of old....

Now if only my Thule accessories would fit... NOT!
Old 07-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Ski: What is the story? I just pick-up my base system I ordered from the dealer. In the backseat as we "speak". Did you get any of the attachments, ski/snowboard combo or for a surfboard? If you are like me, you have had dozens of rack systems for different autos. At least for 325, 525i & 4-runner I can interchange the accessories on my Thule base. Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:55 PM
Senior Members

Can you post some pics when you have time? Let's check it out!
Old 07-07-2004, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Ok, I took a few pics after I installed the rack for inital fitting...

After unpacking the fully assembled racks, I loosened all the mounting brackets to full open, and also loosened the four rack bar bolts to allow some play. After opening all the doors, I found the detents in the sheetmetal around the openings.
I lined up the back rack, and eased it down over one side, then the other. Using the supplied tool, I snugged up each side, then when satisfied on the placement, I tightened the four rack bar bolts.

Then I torqued each side down to proper tightness... you may notice the marks on the fitting tool supplied give you a torque reference. Slipped back in the locking cover...

Then just repeated the process for the front rack. You may notice there are wind deflectors on the front bar.
Here is what the mount looks like with the door open:

and with the door closed: (note some flaring of the weather stripping)

Really, its a neat setup... here is a closeup of the contact with the car itself...

Other contact besides what is noted there is inside the door frame, near the detent. There is a good amount of clearance.

And finally a front, side, and rear view of the rack mounted on my car...

Haven't ordered any of the other accessories yet... I was hoping some of my Thule parts from my 3series mount would fit, but it doesn't look like it. Will probably be ordering the large ski racks... although I'd love to get a look at the combination rack.

After removal of the rack, I noticed no ill effects on the car, other than some greasy areas where the rubber contacted the roof... but they came right off.

Anyone have an E46 they want a rack for?
Old 07-08-2004, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by SkiScubaSailDude' date='Jul 8 2004, 03:58 AM
After removal of the rack, I noticed no ill effects on the car, other than some greasy areas where the rubber contacted the roof... but they came right off.
That's good to know. I have'em too, but was scared to install them and leave some permanent marks. Now I feel much better since your pics clearly show that there is no contact with the car in between the door frames and the roof.
Thanks!
Old 07-08-2004, 04:06 AM
Senior Members

Wasn't sure if anyone else had these racks or not... The number on my key was 002.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Mine says 009.

I think that's the code for the used lock, since they 'll just have a certain number of locks. So if I would also have 002, I could open yours, I guess.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

Yeah, thats right... just seems we are at the start of the production cycle...
Old 07-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Contributors

Ski:
Thanks for the information. I am also interested in the combo ski/snowboard attachment. The e60 catalog didn't have a picture of it. I am wondering how many ski/snowboards it will hold. My dealer doesn't know. If you get one before me please post a picture, I will do the same. Looks like a good set up, I'm glad I got one. Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

Maybe we will get lucky and someone from BMW will read this and supply us with a photo... Otherwise, maybe we need to split the large ski holder... (giving us 3 pair capacity each) and get a snowboard attachment each!

Quick Reply: Just installed BMW Base Support System