E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

JBL MS-8 installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got an MS-8. I'm very close to finishing the installation. Inserted the setup CD, and the car's screen says this is not a recognized audio CD. I tried it on my PC, and found some PDF manuals. I tried ripping the audio part, there are none to be found, using multiple software. Has anyone succeeded MS-8 install using the setup CD?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:23 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by stupiddude
Just got an MS-8. I'm very close to finishing the installation. Inserted the setup CD, and the car's screen says this is not a recognized audio CD. I tried it on my PC, and found some PDF manuals. I tried ripping the audio part, there are none to be found, using multiple software. Has anyone succeeded MS-8 install using the setup CD?
Your setup CD is defective (no audio files)... http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...disc-help.html
Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Technic
Your setup CD is defective (no audio files)... http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...disc-help.html
Ha!! I tried searching on diyma about this before posting, but didn't find anything. Guess I still need to learn searching there Thanks Technic!!
Old 10-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

so what does this mean yor ms-8 cant even be used now beause it came with a bootleg cd to install it?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
so what does this mean yor ms-8 cant even be used now beause it came with a bootleg cd to install it?
No it means that a small quantity of CDs are missing the audio file.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Technic
Technic, since I think you've done MS-8 installations involving our Logic 7 amps, a question for you. I've done the input calibration (OEM HU high-level outputs) using the .wav file above, as well as the acoustic measurements using the binaural mic. When I hooked up an iPhone on AUX input of MS-8, it sounds great, as I expected!! However, using the standard high-level input from HU, I hear very bad distortions on every kick drum sound (almost like a speaker with torn cone being driven) from all 4" speakers (can barely hear anything from underseat subs and trunk sub). Bass range (from low to mid) is also almost missing completely.

I have checked and rechecked the following:
  • MS-8 Input 1 connected to your harness, FL+ (19) and FL- (9)
  • Input 2 connected to FR+ (17) and FR- (7)
  • Input 7 connected to WL+ (8) and WL- (18)
  • Input 8 connected to WR+ (6) and WR- (16)
  • Also tried disconnecting Input 8, because JBL's install info on their website only mentioned hooking up pin 8 and 18 for sub.
  • Polarities have been triple checked, inputs and outputs.
  • Tone Control, EQ flattened, L7 Surround disabled on HU.
  • Sound above around 250-300Hz seems good and clear. Only below that treshold that's problematic.

Any ideas?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by stupiddude
Technic, since I think you've done MS-8 installations involving our Logic 7 amps, a question for you. I've done the input calibration (OEM HU high-level outputs) using the .wav file above, as well as the acoustic measurements using the binaural mic. When I hooked up an iPhone on AUX input of MS-8, it sounds great, as I expected!! However, using the standard high-level input from HU, I hear very bad distortions on every kick drum sound (almost like a speaker with torn cone being driven) from all 4" speakers (can barely hear anything from underseat subs and trunk sub). Bass range (from low to mid) is also almost missing completely.

I have checked and rechecked the following:
  • MS-8 Input 1 connected to your harness, FL+ (19) and FL- (9)
  • Input 2 connected to FR+ (17) and FR- (7)
  • Input 7 connected to WL+ (8) and WL- (18)
  • Input 8 connected to WR+ (6) and WR- (16)
  • Also tried disconnecting Input 8, because JBL's install info on their website only mentioned hooking up pin 8 and 18 for sub.
  • Polarities have been triple checked, inputs and outputs.
  • Tone Control, EQ flattened, L7 Surround disabled on HU.
  • Sound above around 250-300Hz seems good and clear. Only below that treshold that's problematic.

Any ideas?
Connections are correct, according to JBL. The AUX input is not part of the calibration algorithm, so that's reason that it is sounding better than the OEM iDrive outputs. The problem seems to be in the calibration result curve, it is cutting too much the sub/midbass range.

- count the iDrive volume clicks from absolute silence to the MS-8 display showing the three "OK" at input setup. There should be 45-47 clicks to OK; over 47 clicks it should be "Noisy".
- what crossover type and cutoff are you using?
- Are you using the built in MS-8 amps? If so, what is the MS-8 volume used for the calibration?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Members

hey I know a guy from JBL send me your email and we will have Gary Biggs get in touch with you so he can call you to help you out, gary will be back home later today and i will call him
Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Members

cool i sent an email and they copied you on a email along with the proper people .. hope that helped
Old 10-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Members

e-mansala, PM sent.

Technic, here's my setup:
  • BSW Stage 1 for all mids and tweeters (11 speakers)
  • OEM underseat subs
  • JBL MS-8 using high-level inputs
  • JBL GTO1214D 12" 2-ohm subwoofer in trunk, sealed 1 cu ft box.
  • JBL GTO5355 5ch amp
  • JBL GTO504 4ch amp
  • Technic 20-pin harness
  • PAC Trunk LOC for signal sensing remote turn on only - RCA won't be used (ETA Monday delivery). Just realized during install that I should've just bought the harness version with LOC from you

Speaker connections:
  • FL, FR, RL + SL (parallel), RR + SR (parallel), JBL sub connected to GTO5355. Not sure if the paralleled rear deck and side speakers is a good idea.
  • WL, WR, C connected to GTO504.
  • Nothing connected directly to MS-8

Crossover points:
  • Sub: 20Hz/24dB subsonic filter, 80Hz/24dB low pass.
  • Front: 2-way. Front Low = underseat subs, Front High = front door mids + tweeters. 150Hz/24dB. Not sure if this is the right way to configure the underseat subs.
  • Rear/Side: 100Hz/24dB high pass.
  • Center: 100Hz/24dB high pass

I tested 45 clicks to reach OK signal, level, and balance. I went quite above 47 clicks (tried going to 60), but did not reach noisy yet. Not sure why. I have tried -40dB, -30dB, -25dB calibration volumes with same result.

When using AUX input, it does really sound great, including the bass thumps. So you're correct on another thread that it's completely unnecessary to cut anything to pipe the bass sound to cabin.

Quick Reply: JBL MS-8 installation