E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ipod Nano - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 01:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (2007) E60 - 520d Msport - Carbon Black,Black Dakota Leather, Carbon Fibre Trim, Business Nav, Bluetooth with telematics, Heated Seats, Parking Sensors Fr/Rr

Merry Christmas around the World!

Of course having recently purchased my E60 - I asked the better half for an ipod for Christmas! So after loading my music onto it yesterday and some pictures - I ventured out into the freezing wet UK weather and tried the Nano in the car.

I found 2 problems:-

1) Volume - or lack of - sorted that after reading a few threads on here.
2) Display - or lack of!! - How can I get the ipod tracks on my i drive display, or even better to control off the S/wheel?

What aftermarket or Factory mod do I need to do? I have trawled through the Forum and got very confused on Dension talk/ similar. Basically what is the easiest and hopefully cheapest way for a UK newbie to achieve this?

P.S - Treated myself to a set of Black Grilles and have decided on my wheels now too....... Pics V soon.

Regards, Matt
Old 12-26-2007, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Are you using the USB/iPod interface with the special cable from BMW? If you do this, you should be able to see the tracks, etc. on the iDrive screen and control things with the iDrive controller.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

The MOST bus interface will also give you song title information.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:37 AM
Contributors

I found the idea to remove the capacitor that restricts the volume of the IPOD very fascinating.

There is a thread here that shows you how to do it.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=23890&hl=ipod

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Old 12-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Members

My Ride: (2007) E60 - 520d Msport - Carbon Black,Black Dakota Leather, Carbon Fibre Trim, Business Nav, Bluetooth with telematics, Heated Seats, Parking Sensors Fr/Rr

Thanks Chaps,
just got back from another family gathering/ face stuffing alcohol binge!

Okay - My car only seems to have the line in jack connection in the rear of the centre console. I have not found a USB port anywhere (07 build Car).

My Nano did not come with a connector so I purely used a line in jack connector from 'pod to Car.

So do I have to buy a special connector from BMW. I have picked up that some connectors are part line in jack - part USB.

Hope this helps.

Matt
Old 12-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MSportMatt' post='510823' date='Dec 26 2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks Chaps,
just got back from another family gathering/ face stuffing alcohol binge!

Okay - My car only seems to have the line in jack connection in the rear of the centre console. I have not found a USB port anywhere (07 build Car).

My Nano did not come with a connector so I purely used a line in jack connector from 'pod to Car.

So do I have to buy a special connector from BMW. I have picked up that some connectors are part line in jack - part USB.

Hope this helps.

Matt
It sounds like we misunderstood your initial post -- you do not have the USB/iPod adapter, you have the AUX input. Using the AUX input, you will never be able to see any songs from the iPod displayed on the iDrive screen and you won't be able to use the iDrive controller to change songs, etc.

There is an option for cars without the integrated (factory) USB/iPod adapter that replaces the CD changer in the glovebox. It's designed for iPods and will work better than what you have (but not better than the newer, factory option that includes USB cabability.)
Old 12-27-2007, 03:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='510833' date='Dec 26 2007, 06:03 PM
It sounds like we misunderstood your initial post -- you do not have the USB/iPod adapter, you have the AUX input. Using the AUX input, you will never be able to see any songs from the iPod displayed on the iDrive screen and you won't be able to use the iDrive controller to change songs, etc.

There is an option for cars without the integrated (factory) USB/iPod adapter that replaces the CD changer in the glovebox. It's designed for iPods and will work better than what you have (but not better than the newer, factory option that includes USB cabability.)
Ah okay,

after a little thought and searching - I think I have found the solution - A Dension Gateway 500 system. After initial research I believe that this could be the answer to my problems?

Can anyone advise on the following though:?

(My Car is an 07, with Bluetooth/ Telematics and the Aux line in as described. I do not have a CDC. Does this mean I have MP3 capability and therefore will the Gateway be compatible with my car?

Regards, Matt
Old 12-27-2007, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know much about the Dension Gateway but I think all 07 cars have MP3 capability using the in-dash CD or DVD slot only. I don't think MP3 has ever worked using the CD changer...
Old 12-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MSportMatt' post='510954' date='Dec 27 2007, 07:22 AM
Ah okay,

after a little thought and searching - I think I have found the solution - A Dension Gateway 500 system. After initial research I believe that this could be the answer to my problems?

Can anyone advise on the following though:?

(My Car is an 07, with Bluetooth/ Telematics and the Aux line in as described. I do not have a CDC. Does this mean I have MP3 capability and therefore will the Gateway be compatible with my car?

Regards, Matt
If you don't have a CDC look into getting the MOST bus adapter from BMW. This will get you the song titles and will attach to the dock port on your Nano to give you better audio than the AUX input. I can't speak for the Dension since I don't have that unit.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='511082' date='Dec 27 2007, 02:28 PM
If you don't have a CDC look into getting the MOST bus adapter from BMW. This will get you the song titles and will attach to the dock port on your Nano to give you better audio than the AUX input. I can't speak for the Dension since I don't have that unit.
Thanks ImolaRedM,

So the 'MOST' system is something that UK BMW dealers will know about?

The dension GW 500 is around ?300GBP which is quite a large investment for what it will actually give me.

I would sooner spend that on M5 style mirrors or styling improvements.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys. Will be talking to BMW tomorrow.

Regards, Matt

Quick Reply: ipod Nano - Advice Please