E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

IPOD IPOD

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 02:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

>If produced prior to March 05 you will need to wait for the next major >software update to have the ipod interface work. The ipod integration >news release states 05/03 production and newer only (for the time >being).

I'm having trouble understanding why that would be though. If the IPOD interface just emulates a 6CD changer and I have an 11/04 build E60 with a working CD player why would a software update help and why would the IPOD interface specifically not work with pre 03/05 builds?
To my knowledge no CIP updates have been made to the CD changer interface.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by MTRHEAD' post='329789' date='Sep 1 2006, 04:21 PM
>If produced prior to March 05 you will need to wait for the next major >software update to have the ipod interface work. The ipod integration >news release states 05/03 production and newer only (for the time >being).

I'm having trouble understanding why that would be though. If the IPOD interface just emulates a 6CD changer and I have an 11/04 build E60 with a working CD player why would a software update help and why would the IPOD interface specifically not work with pre 03/05 builds?
To my knowledge no CIP updates have been made to the CD changer interface.
I can only speak about the North American Models. In my conversations with the BMWNA rep, I was told that the early production E60's without NAV came with the business radio and not professional. That is why we are uanble to play MP3 discs in the CD slot despite software updates for the newer cars. The software update has to do with updating the firmware in the older head units.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Members

>That is why we are uanble to play MP3 discs in the CD slot despite >software updates for the newer cars. The software update has to do >with updating the firmware in the older head units.

Ah ok, thanks that helps. This could be really bad news for us "early adopters", my 11/04 build can never play dash CD MP3s becuase of this issue in having the business rather than pro radio installed. I'd be really p*ssed if it turns out I can't have the I-POD adapter either...if I could play MP3s from the Dash CD I probably wouldn't want one so much!

hopefully as more of the US based forum members install the interface and post their results we can work this out. Anyhow..looks like us UK forum members have a longer wait ahead before the interface is released
Old 09-02-2006, 03:20 PM
JMB
Members

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='329795' date='Sep 2 2006, 12:40 AM
I can only speak about the North American Models. In my conversations with the BMWNA rep, I was told that the early production E60's without NAV came with the business radio and not professional. That is why we are uanble to play MP3 discs in the CD slot despite software updates for the newer cars. The software update has to do with updating the firmware in the older head units.

MP3 capability has nothing to do with iPod interface. The iPod decodes the mp3 files, not the BMW sound system. Then the new interface changes the electrical signat to an optical signal in a way that the BMW system "believes" to be working with the CD changer.

I received my unit yesterday, and I personally installed it today (aprox 30min). I have an appointment on Monday to update the retrofit in the idrive. (I have business radio (EDIT: so no mp3 capability), CD changer prewiring, no CD changer). Hopefully I will confirm everything is working Monday afternoon.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Members

>MP3 capability has nothing to do with iPod interface. The iPod decodes the mp3 files, not the BMW sound system.

I agree, but the only difference is that the I-POD interface sends track names through to the I-drive display . You don't get track names with the CD changer or CD-text AFAIK so I was speculating whether there might be some dependency on the prof radio to do this..it is a long shot though and I hope I'm wrong!

>Hopefully I will confirm everything is working Monday afternoon.

Thanks..hope it all works fine and please keep us posted
Old 09-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='329795' date='Sep 1 2006, 06:40 PM
From a Roadfly member we have a documented DIY iPod install on an 01/05 build e63 with 6CDC that worked perfectly as soon as he hooked up ipod and turned on key. No coding required. His software had been previously updated back a few months ago so that his MP3 was working. Despite what BMWNA may say we have the same VERY high probablity of this working in pre 03/05 as we did on th eAux input that BMW claimed would only work on 03/05 builds and newer.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='330391' date='Sep 3 2006, 01:19 PM
From a Roadfly member we have a documented DIY iPod install on an 01/05 build e63 with 6CDC that worked perfectly as soon as he hooked up ipod and turned on key. No coding required. His software had been previously updated back a few months ago so that his MP3 was working. Despite what BMWNA may say we have the same VERY high probablity of this working in pre 03/05 as we did on th eAux input that BMW claimed would only work on 03/05 builds and newer.
Thanks for that bit of advice. Did the car have NAV? IIRC, NAV equiped cars have a different head unit than non NAV cars. This is the reason I cannot get MP3 playback on my 03/04 production car (as explained by my dealer). The part number for my radio clearly states that it is a BUS radio and not PRO. Mar 05 production cars show a different part number for the radio than the early E60's without NAV.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JMB' post='330132' date='Sep 2 2006, 05:20 PM
MP3 capability has nothing to do with iPod interface. The iPod decodes the mp3 files, not the BMW sound system. Then the new interface changes the electrical signat to an optical signal in a way that the BMW system "believes" to be working with the CD changer.

I received my unit yesterday, and I personally installed it today (aprox 30min). I have an appointment on Monday to update the retrofit in the idrive. (I have business radio (EDIT: so no mp3 capability), CD changer prewiring, no CD changer). Hopefully I will confirm everything is working Monday afternoon.

Agreed on the signal processing for the MP3's. The issue I believe pertains to the processing of the ID tags.

Please update us on the activation results.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:14 AM
JMB
Members

Originally Posted by ademitt' post='331005' date='Sep 5 2006, 04:20 PM
Agreed on the signal processing for the MP3's. The issue I believe pertains to the processing of the ID tags.

Please update us on the activation results.

Sometimes (many times when dealing with BMW audio systems) things are not like they seem to be....

Unfortunately my iPod interface doesn't work. Dealer has been unable to retrofit via software. They have been trying everything but... impossible. When they searched for info in the parts system (application similar to realoem), it only gives part numbers when you have prof radio (or nav), but not with bus radio.

Dealer opened a PUMA case, so i hope they will receive an answer in the coming days.

By the way, in the international site of www.bmw.com, if you open the 5 series link --> sedan --> all the facts --> equipment & accessories, there is a new "iPod interface" section. If you click on the little "i" on top pf the description you can see that they clearly state that the interface works with "Radio BMW Business CD (option code 662)"

There is another iPod info section in the same site under "BMW Owners" --> BMW Accessories --> iPod interface.

I will post feedback.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Contributors

I originally spoke directly to the fellow who is the Product Manager for the ipod interface with BMWNA (Elijah Bernard, the fellow in the video). He was very helpfull and answered all of my questions.

He told me that the interface will work once the firmware is updated in the head unit. That is why BMW states that the interface is compatible with all of the E60 line up. For now, we will have to wait for the next Progman update to get the required coding for the head unit.

Quick Reply: IPOD IPOD