E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod Interface works on my Jan 2004 build e60!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there have been questions in other topics around this, so I thought I'd share - I was able to get the iPod Interface working on my January 2004 build 545. I have Nav and (had) a 6 disc changer. The earliest build I've seen on other posts is 8/04. BMW says that, technically, my car doesn't support the iPod interface.

I brought my car in for a software upgrade to v23, and now it works (didn't work under v17). They also did the MP3 retrofit - not sure if that was required for iPod or not, but I asked for it anyway. The service dept said they needed to install additional software to make the ipod work (after the v23 install), but I'm not convinced that part was true. Regardless, it works!!!!
Old 10-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Members

My Ride: On Order for European Delivery 550i SilverGrey Sports, Winter, Prem Pkg, Prem sound, NAV, HUD, comfort seats

Originally Posted by stickboy' post='349251' date='Oct 26 2006, 11:57 PM
I know there have been questions in other topics around this, so I thought I'd share - I was able to get the iPod Interface working on my January 2004 build 545. I have Nav and (had) a 6 disc changer. The earliest build I've seen on other posts is 8/04. BMW says that, technically, my car doesn't support the iPod interface.

I brought my car in for a software upgrade to v23, and now it works (didn't work under v17). They also did the MP3 retrofit - not sure if that was required for iPod or not, but I asked for it anyway. The service dept said they needed to install additional software to make the ipod work (after the v23 install), but I'm not convinced that part was true. Regardless, it works!!!!

What was the cost?

Here is what the dealer told me. He quoted parts at $310

Yes you can have your c/d changer removed to have the iPod kit installed. It is not as simple as taking one item out and installing another, there is allot of software programming involved. Please contact Our service department for labor times regarding the removal of the c/d changer and all related software. as far as the installation goes I did check with the service department and they have done 4 installations all of them ranging from $260.00 to $330.00 just in labor depending on how long it takes to download the new software
Old 10-27-2006, 06:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Cyclist' post='349351' date='Oct 27 2006, 10:11 AM
What was the cost?

Here is what the dealer told me. He quoted parts at $310

Yes you can have your c/d changer removed to have the iPod kit installed. It is not as simple as taking one item out and installing another, there is allot of software programming involved. Please contact Our service department for labor times regarding the removal of the c/d changer and all related software. as far as the installation goes I did check with the service department and they have done 4 installations all of them ranging from $260.00 to $330.00 just in labor depending on how long it takes to download the new software

I only paid for parts (approx $300 - forget exact amt). Labor was free, since I was having my car upgraded to v23 for other reasons. I did the actual install of the ipod interface myself, but the dealer did plug it in to ensure it would work. The dealer did say that they had to install an ipod 'retrofit' software component, but i'm not sure that's actually true - my understanding is that you just need v23 plus the MP3 retrofit. After that, i completed the rest of the ipod install myself (physically placing it in the CD changer slot, etc).
Old 10-27-2006, 06:39 AM
Members

My Ride: On Order for European Delivery 550i SilverGrey Sports, Winter, Prem Pkg, Prem sound, NAV, HUD, comfort seats

Originally Posted by stickboy' post='349356' date='Oct 27 2006, 10:26 AM
I only paid for parts (approx $300 - forget exact amt). Labor was free, since I was having my car upgraded to v23 for other reasons. I did the actual install of the ipod interface myself, but the dealer did plug it in to ensure it would work. The dealer did say that they had to install an ipod 'retrofit' software component, but i'm not sure that's actually true - my understanding is that you just need v23 plus the MP3 retrofit. After that, i completed the rest of the ipod install myself (physically placing it in the CD changer slot, etc).

the guys are telling me software upgrade just costs big $$. Is there a point where a BMW owner is "entitled" to a software upgrade?
Old 10-27-2006, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Cyclist' post='349360' date='Oct 27 2006, 10:39 AM
the guys are telling me software upgrade just costs big $$. Is there a point where a BMW owner is "entitled" to a software upgrade?
You can get a free software upgrade if you complain about a warranty issue that's been addressed by a newer software version...