E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod interface v aux input - which to go for? (UK)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='373503' date='Jan 4 2007, 09:03 AM
Try listening to an iPod plugged into the cigarette charger, and you'll understand. The alternator noise is horrible.
Funny... I have no bleed from the alternator when I used the 12v outlet and AUX. I did have much lower audio quality on the AUX than when using the MOST bus adapter but it wasn't from electrical noise (unlike in my Land Rover). You may have a ground issue or a bad diode on your alternator.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='373505' date='Jan 4 2007, 09:18 AM
Funny... I have no bleed from the alternator when I used the 12v outlet and AUX. I did have much lower audio quality on the AUX than when using the MOST bus adapter but it wasn't from electrical noise (unlike in my Land Rover). You may have a ground issue or a bad diode on your alternator.

When the opporunity arisis, please do the following:

Plug in iPod. Press pause. Turn up volume on car stereo to full. Press accelerator pedal. Report back any noise heard.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i MSport Auto, June 05, Silver, Black dakota leather, Hi-fi, Media package, Electric folding mirrors, Maple wood

Thought you guys had gone off this thread...but as you're still around: the car is being fitted with iPod connector tomorrow. I've had some pretty bad luck with this car (owned it for 2 months, been off the road for 4 weeks!) so I'm prepared to be disappointed/infuriated. Loved my E39 so much...

Half the time off the road has been niggling faults (including the CD changer, now replaced) but the last couple of weeks was courtesy of my neighbour - he drove his friend's car across my front garden, into my house and glanced the 530i's front. Amazingly he missed the metalwork - just a new front wheel, alignment check and repainted bumper (just over ?1,000). But if you think it's bad for me, my neighbour was uninsured!

Nick
Old 01-07-2007, 08:38 AM
stu
Members

Please can anyone tell me how much the integrated ipod adaptor ( most bus) should cost installed?
Which dealer did you use ?