E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipod interface installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi gurus
First off:
E60 530d late 53 plate (so for the o/seas folk that's a late 2003).
Bluetooth phone......ok! ok! fone for you colonial types.
Business radio.
No Nav.
No 6 CD changer fitted.
I have had the software upgraded to accept a 6 CD changer. In fact I gave the dealer a new changer in its box and asked them to slave it in so that the software upgrade would go ok. So far so good!
When I got the car back the telephone did not work and it had to go back, when I got it back they said that there was a plug terminator missing.
Turned out to be something to do with the software upgrade!
Today I tried to install the ipod interface unit. I located the leads and on the end of one was an odd connector which I pulled apart and relocated into the plug that suplies the interface unit.
Problem is, on 'firing' up the unit the interface is not recognised on the idrive display (although on the CD selection CD 1 through 6 are there but cannot be highlighted.)
Coupled to this the bluetooth phone no longer worked.
Removing the interface unit and refitting the 'teminator' and every thing is back to normal.
Any ideas anyone and or am i missing some piece of hardware?
The terminator found fitted is item 9
The fibre optic cables are fitted to item 11 and 12

Thanks in advance and a happy new year to one and all
Old 01-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Am I missing something here, but the iPod interface have to be programmed too!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Members

I'm not sure but I don't think so. Why would a stand alone unit also require programming .....unless of course it's just an excuse to get more money out of us punters!
Having said that if you take the unit out of the box and just plug an ipod in, the ipod straight away comes up with the BMW logo.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by daven' post='757146' date='Jan 1 2009, 07:57 PM
I'm not sure but I don't think so. Why would a stand alone unit also require programming .....unless of course it's just an excuse to get more money out of us punters!
Having said that if you take the unit out of the box and just plug an ipod in, the ipod straight away comes up with the BMW logo.
Sorry I was wrong, just the enabling the MP3 function has to be programmed .
Does your CD player play MP3 cd's? Sorry these might be a bit dumb questions at this point...
Old 01-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Members

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='757161' date='Jan 1 2009, 06:23 PM
Sorry I was wrong, just the enabling the MP3 function has to be programmed .
Does your CD player play MP3 cd's? Sorry these might be a bit dumb questions at this point...
Yep! I've tried that and it plays mp3 files ok!
Old 01-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

I had MP3 playability but for some reason I still had to do the retrofit encoding for my ipod adapter. I was thinking my iPod adapter was fried for a while but once I convinced them to finally do the retrofit encoding, it worked like a charm. I've heard of others with the same problem as well, not sure why it works for some but not for others. All in all, I've found the programming for the E60 to be the most shoddy engineering on the car. /shrug
Old 01-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

What iPOD inteface are you using. If you are using the BMW interface then that needs to be programmed in as an iPOD device, the CDC method is only needed for Dension type interfaces.

You've broken the fiber loop and that needs to be closed. Check if you have the fibers connected in the light direction correctly. I suspect the interface is not passing the signal through it because its not programmed in.

If you dont have the CDC you will need to remove the Item 4 and connect the two ends of the fiber to Item 11 and 12 of the iPOD interface in the correct directions. Check to see if you can see the red light and put that into the slot where the arrow is pointing into the iPOD interface.

Post pictures in case you are still having issues.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Members

Red face

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='758938' date='Jan 4 2009, 08:25 AM
What iPOD inteface are you using. If you are using the BMW interface then that needs to be programmed in as an iPOD device, the CDC method is only needed for Dension type interfaces.

You've broken the fiber loop and that needs to be closed. Check if you have the fibers connected in the light direction correctly. I suspect the interface is not passing the signal through it because its not programmed in.

If you dont have the CDC you will need to remove the Item 4 and connect the two ends of the fiber to Item 11 and 12 of the iPOD interface in the correct directions. Check to see if you can see the red light and put that into the slot where the arrow is pointing into the iPOD interface.

Post pictures in case you are still having issues.
Many thanks Bruce
The ipod interface is the BMW one!
I must admit I'm suprised that besides coding for the CD changer the ipod interface itself requires coding.
The 'red' light is visible in one of the cables.
Item 4 is not there as both cables are fitted into item 11 and the that in turn is fitted into the terminator. Item 9. All I did was to disconnect 11 from 9 and clip it into the block on the loom that also contains the 4 small pins and that in turn into the interface unit.
I shall go take another look!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:26 AM
Contributors

This has been covered quite a bit lately

The OEM BMW iPod interface DOES NOT need to be programmed! All you need is mp3 functionality and CDC functionality and it will work. Some of the cases where it didn't work even though these were functional was due to errors of the dealership doing some wrong programming or not selecting the proper features.I experienced this myself actually.

So in conclusion: if you have mp3 and CDC enabled it's plug N play The iPod interface is exactly what it's called... an interface... it makes the car "think" a CD-Changer is still hooked up.

PS: it's not just the E60 were the programming is a mistery lol Dealers sometimes have a really hard time figuring it out themselves if it's not a routine programming.

PPS: Here's the thread where this has been covered many times maybe it will help a little more.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=59271
Old 01-04-2009, 05:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

No a post in your own thread here http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=733445 did NOT work and the conclusion the very same member posted in your own thread here http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=748559 coding was required.

MP3 upgrade will not work since the OP did NOT have Navigation.

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='758968' date='Jan 4 2009, 05:26 AM
[...]

So in conclusion: if you have mp3 and CDC enabled it's plug N play The iPod interface is exactly what it's called... an interface... it makes the car "think" a CD-Changer is still hooked up.

[...]

Quick Reply: Ipod interface installation