E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod Interface

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i silver gray, black leather, cold weather package, steptronic, rear side air bags, multi-contour seats, navigation, Logic 7, HUD, Sirius, HD radio

I ordered the new iPod interface for a September build, 2007 550i. It arrived a little while after my new car so I took the car back to have it installed. After 2 days of trying to get the interface to work, the service department manager told me they needed to get a software update so the car could recognice the interface. This is after my car was held in the NJ preperation center for almost a week for a software update. This is my first BMW and I'm starting to worry about all of the tech features in the car. Is the constant software updating something I have to look forward to?
Old 11-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

SW updates are a must and I too am in the same boat as you. Only I was told by my SA that my 04 530i would work with the SW update and 500.00 later no Working ipod interface, i am still waiting for BMW to call me with a work around. SO i have the adapter hooked up just not working such a tease
Old 11-07-2006, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

On my 2006 550i, the ipod interface was plug and play, no software update needed. As far as I know, the car has never had any software updates.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CarGuy' post='353086' date='Nov 6 2006, 08:42 PM
I ordered the new iPod interface for a September build, 2007 550i. It arrived a little while after my new car so I took the car back to have it installed. After 2 days of trying to get the interface to work, the service department manager told me they needed to get a software update so the car could recognice the interface. This is after my car was held in the NJ preperation center for almost a week for a software update. This is my first BMW and I'm starting to worry about all of the tech features in the car. Is the constant software updating something I have to look forward to?
Hmmm... not sure why your '07 would have issues. I can't think of a reason for them to have to work on it for two days to come to that conclusion. And I would think the 9/06 builds come with CIP 23.x anyway.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by CarGuy' post='353086' date='Nov 7 2006, 02:42 AM
I ordered the new iPod interface for a September build, 2007 550i. It arrived a little while after my new car so I took the car back to have it installed. After 2 days of trying to get the interface to work, the service department manager told me they needed to get a software update so the car could recognice the interface. ...
See here.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i silver gray, black leather, cold weather package, steptronic, rear side air bags, multi-contour seats, navigation, Logic 7, HUD, Sirius, HD radio

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='354241' date='Nov 9 2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the information. If I have to wait for the software patch, I feel better knowing why. The car is so great a little inconvenience now and then is worth it. However, in the future if I have the choice, I'll wait to get feedback on software updates and fixes before I update.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by CarGuy' post='354439' date='Nov 10 2006, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the information. If I have to wait for the software patch, I feel better knowing why. The car is so great a little inconvenience now and then is worth it. However, in the future if I have the choice, I'll wait to get feedback on software updates and fixes before I update.
You happened to order your car when a significant software change (iPod) was occurring. Don't worry - this does not mean you'll be in for continued software updates. Once everything is working you'll probably avoid most updates and with your general maintenance. When I got my car and retro-fitted Bluetooth afterwards I too was wary but once it was straightened out it was not a problem again. I think I'm v.17 still - and it matters not.

Enjoy your car.