E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod interface

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525i, Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Automatic, Premium, Cold Weather, Xenons.

How much are you all paying to have the iPod interface installed? Does it depend on the dealer or is the rate the same everywhere?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Formula1' post='330839' date='Sep 4 2006, 04:05 PM
How much are you all paying to have the iPod interface installed? Does it depend on the dealer or is the rate the same everywhere?
It's $299 for parts, and your first born child for labor. Hope that helps...

Seriously though, it sort of depends on you dealer and your relationship with them. Some people have been able to negotiate prices, some haven't. Most people are paying anywhere from $400-600 for the whole thing, part and labor.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

$400+ ??? You guys are retarded to pay that.

Seriously
Old 09-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='330995' date='Sep 5 2006, 06:54 AM
$400+ ??? You guys are retarded to pay that.
Seriously
I agree
Old 09-05-2006, 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

That costs more than the iPod itself. And the iPod is a disposable item.

I have a friend who works at the Apple store. He told me to always sell my iPod after 1 year. The hard drives in them are crap, and typically die after 2 years. By selling the iPod on eBay after 1 year, I can still get some money for it. If I wait until it dies, then it goes in the trash and I'm out all the money.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='331024' date='Sep 5 2006, 10:39 AM
That costs more than the iPod itself. And the iPod is a disposable item.

I have a friend who works at the Apple store. He told me to always sell my iPod after 1 year. The hard drives in them are crap, and typically die after 2 years. By selling the iPod on eBay after 1 year, I can still get some money for it. If I wait until it dies, then it goes in the trash and I'm out all the money.
2 years ago, Best Buy and Circuit City sold Ipods with an optional "replacement warranty" that had a 2 year period. I bought this. It allows you at any point in the 2 years to give your ipod back saying there was a battery problem etc. with no questions asked they would issue you a gift card for your original price paid.

This warranty cost about $50 and allows you to just go back and purchase the newest version of the ipod. They are supposed to introduce the new one in Oct/Nov time frame where the entire face of the ipod is video. The ipod control circle comes up in video when you just touch the screen.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Veight' post='331069' date='Sep 5 2006, 10:08 AM
2 years ago, Best Buy and Circuit City sold Ipods with an optional "replacement warranty" that had a 2 year period. I bought this. It allows you at any point in the 2 years to give your ipod back saying there was a battery problem etc. with no questions asked they would issue you a gift card for your original price paid.

This warranty cost about $50 and allows you to just go back and purchase the newest version of the ipod. They are supposed to introduce the new one in Oct/Nov time frame where the entire face of the ipod is video. The ipod control circle comes up in video when you just touch the screen.

Are they still offering that good of a warranty?
Old 09-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Veight' post='331069' date='Sep 5 2006, 01:08 PM

Have you tried to make good on the warranty yet?

It sounds great in theory.... but I'll believe it when I see it.

In general, I do not purchase those add-on warranties.... because they are nothing but pure profit to the company. They make more money on the warranty than they do on the item.

I doubt I will purchase another iPod, anyway. Not unless they add gapless playback. But seeing as how the iPod is on it's 5th generation now, and they still don't have gapless playback... I'm not expecting a miracle anytime soon.

The ironic part is that the iPod hardware is capable of playing gapless.... it's just that Apple are a bunch of dumbass wankers and won't update the firmware. You can actually download third-party firmware which will let the iPod play FLAC, Ogg, and other formats... along with gapless playback.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i 2007, Adaptive Headlights (Xenon), Auto AC Extended, Logic7, Bluetooth, PDC

BMW service eventually said that BMW has yet to release its iDrive version for 2007 model in order for the new iPod interface to work. They said it's scheduled sometime at the end of September..
Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='331163' date='Sep 5 2006, 04:02 PM
Have you tried to make good on the warranty yet?
It sounds great in theory.... but I'll believe it when I see it.
In general, I do not purchase those add-on warranties.... because they are nothing but pure profit to the company. They make more money on the warranty than they do on the item.
I doubt I will purchase another iPod, anyway. Not unless they add gapless playback. But seeing as how the iPod is on it's 5th generation now, and they still don't have gapless playback... I'm not expecting a miracle anytime soon.

The ironic part is that the iPod hardware is capable of playing gapless.... it's just that Apple are a bunch of dumbass wankers and won't update the firmware. You can actually download third-party firmware which will let the iPod play FLAC, Ogg, and other formats... along with gapless playback.
Wher can I get that firmware that will play gapless playback?

Quick Reply: iPod interface