E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

ipod Integration--non BMW solution options in US

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have a 525xi (2006) with the factory radio, idrive, and the CD changer. The CD in the head unit is mp3 capable.

Because I already have the CD changer, I would like to explore options for ipod integration beyond the BMW factory solution.

As I understand it, the BMW factory add-in option would disable the CD changer.

My car does not have the auxiliary input, which my dealers tells me will cost over $400 to install ($90 part plus 3 hours labor at $110 per hour).

Plus the auxiliary unit does not really integrate the ipod.

The FM modulator approach is a possiblity, but in my experience often does not sound very good.

Of course I can burn Mp3 files to CDs, but it would be nice just to have the ipod be integrated.

Here in Minneapolis, nobody carriers the Denison 500 (in fact right now in North America it looks like it must be ordered from Toronto). I would prefer to have a dealer install the unit.

Does anybody have any suggestions beyond this? I know that Dice has no option right now.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

GW500 is probably the only real alternative than the BMW iPod Interface
Old 09-21-2007, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 1995 M3

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy' post='472240' date='Sep 20 2007, 03:22 PM
Hi all,

I have a 525xi (2006) with the factory radio, idrive, and the CD changer. The CD in the head unit is mp3 capable.

Because I already have the CD changer, I would like to explore options for ipod integration beyond the BMW factory solution.

My car does not have the auxiliary input, which my dealers tells me will cost over $400 to install ($90 part plus 3 hours labor at $110 per hour).

The FM modulator approach is a possiblity, but in my experience often does not sound very good.

Of course I can burn Mp3 files to CDs, but it would be nice just to have the ipod be integrated.

Here in Minneapolis, nobody carriers the Denison 500 (in fact right now in North America it looks like it must be ordered from Toronto). I would prefer to have a dealer install the unit.

Does anybody have any suggestions beyond this? I know that Dice has no option right now.
You CD player plays MP3's? I have a 2004 545i with the Logic 7 and I cannot get MP3's to work. Dealer was helpful in trying to upgrade the software to no avail. I wonder if the actual CD unit changed from 2004 to 2006?

BP
Old 09-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

Originally Posted by Bad Bimr' post='472655' date='Sep 21 2007, 06:59 AM
You CD player plays MP3's? I have a 2004 545i with the Logic 7 and I cannot get MP3's to work. Dealer was helpful in trying to upgrade the software to no avail. I wonder if the actual CD unit changed from 2004 to 2006?

BP

Yep, my CD plays MP3's as well.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i SMG
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy' post='472240' date='Sep 20 2007, 02:22 PM
Hi all,

I have exactly the same hardware as your and decided to purchase DENSION GW500.
With that I kept my CD changer, I have a USB , iPod interface, and, AUX connector. Further I installed all myself and
saved all installation cost. It took me about half a day to complete my installation. When Completed My USB and iPod was in my center console and AUX in the glove compartment. My final cost $550.00

BMW solution would have cost me a bundle and loose the CD-Changer.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by judahzlion' post='472741' date='Sep 21 2007, 06:17 PM
With that I kept my CD changer, I have a USB , iPod interface, and, AUX connector. Further I installed all myself and
saved all installation cost. It took me about half a day to complete my installation. When Completed My USB and iPod was in my center console and AUX in the glove compartment. My final cost $550.00

Same here, the Gateway 500 is much more advanced than the BMW solution, I even have video out from my iPod.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BrianC' post='472975' date='Sep 22 2007, 01:04 AM
Same here, the Gateway 500 is much more advanced than the BMW solution, I even have video out from my iPod.
What additional items were needed to access the video out from the ipod? I assume that you are sending the video to the display screen using the NAV2GO. By the way; how much was this unit?

Right now the Gateway 500 has to be ordered from Toronto, though I understand that Denison may establish a U.S. distributor.

There are no local installers for this device. I do know of one independent who I hope will be willing to do the work. I am not particularly handy with this kind of installation work myself.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by judahzlion' post='472741' date='Sep 21 2007, 11:17 AM

Please post pics and give your location also, I would love that in my car but the site says not available yet for e60 could do the aux but want it intergrated in I drive which i want not need in haveingto work acouple different interfaces . Also did you have to cut or solder anything? pics and or a actual video would be great.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by originalsnuffy' post='473119' date='Sep 22 2007, 07:35 PM
What additional items were needed to access the video out from the ipod? I assume that you are sending the video to the display screen using the NAV2GO. By the way; how much was this unit?

Right now the Gateway 500 has to be ordered from Toronto, though I understand that Denison may establish a U.S. distributor.

There are no local installers for this device. I do know of one independent who I hope will be willing to do the work. I am not particularly handy with this kind of installation work myself.
I got an independent to do the install, piece of cake to wire in but I don't wire in anything that has have a power feed as I don't feel confident to do this myself.

Have a look here and scroll down to the AV Extender, thats all you need and it only cost me ?30. I don't yet have the video outputting on the Nav screen (waiting till next month to get my Nav2Go) but I have it outputting to two portable screens in the back.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, BMW Stainless Steel Pedals, #166 Rims

Originally Posted by BrianC' post='473327' date='Sep 23 2007, 10:14 AM
I got an independent to do the install, piece of cake to wire in but I don't wire in anything that has have a power feed as I don't feel confident to do this myself.

Have a look here and scroll down to the AV Extender, thats all you need and it only cost me ?30. I don't yet have the video outputting on the Nav screen (waiting till next month to get my Nav2Go) but I have it outputting to two portable screens in the back.
All you needed was the gw500 and the AV extender to hook up the ipod? What is also Nav2Go?

Quick Reply: ipod Integration--non BMW solution options in US