E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod install

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 07:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I wait a couple of weeks to pick up my new 545i, I've been soaking up the information in this forum. I will have the dealer install the Auxiliary Audio Input (my sales adviser wasn't sure if having Logic 7/Premium Sound allowed me to have the Aux input, but I noticed several here have both so I've told her there are no issues), and am waiting to speak with the Service manager.

Ideally, I'd like them to run the input to the center console, not sure if they will do that for me, I guess the glove box isn't too bad. Thanks to Stream's post about his iPod hardwire, I have also bought the AirClick and Monster Cable charger which provides a line out (nice bonus, though I already have the SendStation PocketDock which has the line out too).

I'm looking for power sources. Do all US cars come with the flashlight in the glove box, and can I use that outlet to plug in the Monster charger? Is it a standard lighter socket in the glove box?

If I can get them to install the Aux input in the center console, I'll have to try Stream's method to tap into power in the rear vents; any other lighter sockets easily accessible from the center console? Would've been nice if they had one power socket in that console itself!

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2005, 07:51 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Catul' date='Aug 2 2005, 08:17 AM
While I wait a couple of weeks to pick up my new 545i, I've been soaking up the information in this forum.? I will have the dealer install the Auxiliary Audio Input (my sales adviser wasn't sure if having Logic 7/Premium Sound allowed me to have the Aux input, but I noticed several here have both so I've told her there are no issues), and am waiting to speak with the Service manager.

Ideally, I'd like them to run the input to the center console, not sure if they will do that for me, I guess the glove box isn't too bad.? Thanks to Stream's post about his iPod hardwire, I have also bought the AirClick and Monster Cable charger which provides a line out (nice bonus, though I already have the SendStation PocketDock which has the line out too).

I'm looking for power sources.? Do all US cars come with the flashlight in the glove box, and can I use that outlet to plug in the Monster charger?? Is it a standard lighter socket in the glove box?

If I can get them to install the Aux input in the center console, I'll have to try Stream's method to tap into power in the rear vents; any other lighter sockets easily accessible from the center console?? Would've been nice if they had one power socket in that console itself!

Thanks!
[snapback]155356[/snapback]
Flowerfred's dealer installed the aux input in the center console, so it can be done--whether your dealer is willing to is another question.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=11008

Taping into the power outlets in the rear center console was very easy.

There is a power outlet under the passenger side dash, just behind the glove box next to the center console. BMW sells an adapter that plugs into the glove box flashlight socket, that has a power outlet at the other end of the cable.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Members

I spoke with the Service manager at the dealer last week, it was a pleasure talking to someone who was helpful and knowledgeable He's going to install the Aux input in the center console and also connect the Monster Cable charger to a switched source in there, sweet! My Valentine One will also be hardwired by them. Can't wait to get the car!!
Old 08-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Catul' date='Aug 8 2005, 08:06 AM
I spoke with the Service manager at the dealer last week, it was a pleasure talking to someone who was helpful and knowledgeable ? He's going to install the Aux input in the center console and also connect the Monster Cable charger to a switched source in there, sweet!? My Valentine One will also be hardwired by them.? Can't wait to get the car!!
[snapback]157081[/snapback]
Good news on the iPod set up.

Here's a post with pix of my V1 hardwire set up:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...958&#entry97958
Old 08-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Members

Just picked up the car, the Aux Audio Input is sweet! Everything's nicely tucked away in the center console just like your setup, Stream, and am using the line output from the Monster Cable car charger along with the Griffin AirClick - this is perfect. Sound quality with high-quality VBR MP3's (Lame APS) is awesome! Will post more with pics soon ...
Old 08-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Catul' date='Aug 12 2005, 06:09 PM
Just picked up the car, the Aux Audio Input is sweet!? Everything's nicely tucked away in the center console just like your setup, Stream, and am using the line output from the Monster Cable car charger along with the Griffin AirClick - this is perfect.? Sound quality with high-quality VBR MP3's (Lame APS) is awesome!? Will post more with pics soon ...
[snapback]158809[/snapback]
Good news!
I used Exact Audio Copy w/ LAME @256kbps VBR. Also volume normalize using MP3Gain (Merzbow's recommendation )--much cleaner sound than the sound check feature on iPod/iTunes:
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
Old 08-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Members

I use EAC in secure mode, then Lame with "-alt preset standard", which encodes VBR at up to 320kbps as needed; results have been indistinguishable from the original in many ABX tests conducted by those with better equipment (and golden ears) I follow this guide for the tools and specific steps.

In any case, I'm LOVING the sound of the iPod with Aux Audio Input on the Logic 7 system!!! I actually have a Lexicon MC-1 as my main processor in my A/V system, and love their Logic 7 processing (mostly Music Logic or Logic Surround for audio-only sources), but don't like the two presets offered on the 545i - Theater & Concert Hall are really fake sounding to me. Wish BMW had licensed the Music Logic mode from Harman, that would sound even better than the system does now
Old 08-13-2005, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Catul' date='Aug 13 2005, 01:02 PM
I use EAC in secure mode, then Lame with "-alt preset standard", which encodes VBR at up to 320kbps as needed; results have been indistinguishable from the original in many ABX tests conducted by those with better equipment (and golden ears) ? I follow this guide for the tools and specific steps.

In any case, I'm LOVING the sound of the iPod with Aux Audio Input on the Logic 7 system!!!? I actually have a Lexicon MC-1 as my main processor in my A/V system, and love their Logic 7 processing (mostly Music Logic or Logic Surround for audio-only sources), but don't like the two presets offered on the 545i - Theater & Concert Hall are really fake sounding to me.? Wish BMW had licensed the Music Logic mode from Harman, that would sound even better than the system does now
[snapback]158990[/snapback]
I use -alt preset extreme, which is 256kbps VBR. My understanding is -alt preset standard is 192kbps VBR, and -alt preset insane is 320kbps VBR. In iTunes it will show you which bit rate your track is encoded in (and mine all show bit rates just below 256). The 320kbps you're referring to is the max bit rate, but the various "alt preset" use different average bit rates.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Members

From what I've read about LAME 3.90.3, "-alt preset standard" (APS) and "-alt preset extreme" (APX) both encode VBR at UP TO 320kbps, with APX resulting in a higher average bitrate; "-alt preset insane" is just CBR 320kbps. The golden ears at Hydrogenaudio.com claim that all three produce mp3's that are indistinguishable from each other in ABX tests, and considering that we're just using these on iPods and other relatively low-resolution equipment, that's plenty good for me.

I use J.R. Media Center instead of iTunes, love the additional features that it provides (interfaces with my TiVo's HMO, provides a Library Server so I can listen remotely over the internet, etc.).

I'm currently using Replay Gain which works very well (and doesn't touch the original MP3). However, this doesn't work with the line-level output on the iPod, so I think I'll check out MP3Gain now.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Catul' date='Aug 13 2005, 04:24 PM
From what I've read about LAME 3.90.3, "-alt preset standard" (APS) and "-alt preset extreme" (APX) both encode VBR at UP TO 320kbps, with APX resulting in a higher average bitrate; "-alt preset insane" is just CBR 320kbps.? The golden ears at Hydrogenaudio.com claim that all three produce mp3's that are indistinguishable from each other in ABX tests, and considering that we're just using these on iPods and other relatively low-resolution equipment, that's plenty good for me.

I use J.R. Media Center instead of iTunes, love the additional features that it provides (interfaces with my TiVo's HMO, provides a Library Server so I can listen remotely over the internet, etc.).

I'm currently using Replay Gain which works very well (and doesn't touch the original MP3).? However, this doesn't work with the line-level output on the iPod, so I think I'll check out MP3Gain now.
[snapback]159052[/snapback]
I agree--at some point, it's hard to distinguish one from the other. I went with the 256kbps VBR because the increased file size wasn't too bad, and since I was going to invest the time to rip & volume normalize, it was worth the additional file size.

MP3Gain is totally lossless and reversible--and much better than the Itines sound check option.

I'll check out JR Media--I've had a TiVo for 4 years and love it.

Quick Reply: iPod install