E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod connection

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have just bought a March 2004 530d. It has a single cd player and no Sat Nav.
Can I fit a BMW iPod adapter (is this called MOST)?
I cannot see any extra wires from the fuse panel.
How much does a MOST adapter cost?
Is there another product that gives the same sound and convenience?

Sorry for the ramble. Most threads I have read refer to cars with Sat Nav or cd changers.

Keith
Old 04-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

If the car has pre-wire for a CD changer, then you can install the iPod adaptor. You can check if you have pre-wire for CD changer, by opening the glove compartment, removing the separator and search around for the green wire wrapped in black fuzzy tape. This is the CD changer pre-wire.

MOST refers to cars with no nav.
CCC refers to cars with nav.

The only other way to connect your iPod to car is if you installed an AUX input. But you don't get the same high quality sound, and you can't control the iPod from iDrive.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by blinkme_210' post='411971' date='Apr 10 2007, 07:58 AM
If the car has pre-wire for a CD changer, then you can install the iPod adaptor. You can check if you have pre-wire for CD changer, by opening the glove compartment, removing the separator and search around for the green wire wrapped in black fuzzy tape. This is the CD changer pre-wire.

MOST refers to cars with no nav.
CCC refers to cars with nav.

The only other way to connect your iPod to car is if you installed an AUX input. But you don't get the same high quality sound, and you can't control the iPod from iDrive.
i dont understand...i have a cd changer and a nav so i canot change the cd changer by the MOST BUS ?
Old 04-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Members

Thanks for your quick reply. There is a single cable from the fuse panel wrapped in black tape. It is green about 2mm diameter and stiff, more like steel cable rather than electrical wire. It's joined in a block, also wrapped in black tape. Is this the cd changer lead?
How much dos the iPod adapter cost?
Will the iDrive recognize it without further programming?
Keith
Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Members

I spoke to BMW parts. He wanted to know the chassis number before he could quote the price for the correct adapter. As a guide price he said about GBP170 plus 17.5% Vat. Fitting is extra. Is there a cheaper alternative, other than those useless FM modulators?
Keith
Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KeithL' post='412115' date='Apr 10 2007, 11:41 AM
I spoke to BMW parts. He wanted to know the chassis number before he could quote the price for the correct adapter. As a guide price he said about GBP170 plus 17.5% Vat. Fitting is extra. Is there a cheaper alternative, other than those useless FM modulators?
Keith
As of right now, that is the only way to get full iPod integration into E60's.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by michel' post='411972' date='Apr 10 2007, 12:09 AM
i dont understand...i have a cd changer and a nav so i canot change the cd changer by the MOST BUS ?
You don't have a MOST interface, you have the CCC interface. You can get the iPod adapter if you wish, but you will lose the CD changer.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Members

While having something else done on my car, I casually asked for a quote for supply only and another quote for supply and fit of an iPod interface. After the other work was done, the service manager reported that the ipod interface was about ?170 plus 17.5% VAT and fitting would take it to ?500. This would involve updating the Progman to the latest edition. He said there was no point in me buying the interface only because I will still need the updated Progman.

My reasoning is why should I have to pay for the updating of the Progman? More often than not, if you buy a computer program, all updates are included in the original cost. Why do BMW charge for this service?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Keith
Old 04-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by KeithL' post='414313' date='Apr 16 2007, 02:17 PM
While having something else done on my car, I casually asked for a quote for supply only and another quote for supply and fit of an iPod interface. After the other work was done, the service manager reported that the ipod interface was about ?170 plus 17.5% VAT and fitting would take it to ?500. This would involve updating the Progman to the latest edition. He said there was no point in me buying the interface only because I will still need the updated Progman.

My reasoning is why should I have to pay for the updating of the Progman? More often than not, if you buy a computer program, all updates are included in the original cost. Why do BMW charge for this service?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Keith
Dealerships make the majority of their money on servicing cars.... not selling them. It's hijackings just like these which account for how the automobile business can be profitable.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray / Steptronic / Sport Package w/ active steering, adaptive xenons, sport seats, 18" style 124 wheels / Logic 7 sound / PDC / Bluetooth / iPod Integration

FWI - I just had this installed on my '05 545i for $450 parts and labor. Love it and worth every penny. I have Logic7 and the sound quality is awesome!!! Highly recommend this feature as it blows away a 6 disc changer.

Quick Reply: iPod connection