E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipod for car

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006 | 09:25 AM
Members

What do you guys here in the forum use for your ipod to listen in your cars? I trying to buy one but dont know which ones are affordable and yet good quality. Please tell me what you guys use and how do you like it. Thanks in advance Artur.
Old 03-23-2006 | 09:28 AM
Contributors

I'm using G4 iPod and quality is 80-90% of CD quality. However, when you're driving, that gap will be bridged due to road noise. I've been told Sony has good sound quality but its software is a piece of crap.
Old 03-23-2006 | 10:21 AM
Senior Members

Are you asking which MP3 player do we use, or how we connect it to our car?

Cause most people would agree that a direct connection (AUX input) sounds the best, especially after removing the resistors and capacitors out of the BMW wire. Then FM modulators, I would bet most people on this forum have gone with Monster which seems to be quality. And then of course, promised for years but never seen, is the integrated iPod+iDrive unit from IceLink. This would be your best bet probably, but good luck waiting for it. I think Armageddon is closer to us than that adapter. The latest I heard is that it's supposed to be out at the beginning of this year, but they've said that since 2004.

I personally I'm trying to go with my own setup. I'm going to install the AUX input and then attach a BlueTooth reciever on the end. This way I don't have to mount my iPod or have a cord attached to it, I'll be able to toss it wherever I want in the car. Currently however, my dealer is trying to hustle me, saying it's going to cost $430 for the AUX Input. Once I find another dealer that will do it for the more reasonable $150-$210 I will do by BlueTooth thing and let you know how it turns out.

As for MP3 players, whatever you think looks the best is what I'd get. They all sound damn near the same unless you're ungodly picky. I have the new 60G iPod video. In my opinion, it doesn't get any better than Apple, all their sh*t is bomb and I have had zero problems.
Old 03-23-2006 | 10:51 AM
Members

[quote name='Heiss5' date='Mar 23 2006, 11:21 AM' post='258967']
Are you asking which MP3 player do we use, or how we connect it to our car?

What you use to connect your ipod to ur car. For example there are itrips, cassete adapters etc which do you guys use and what do you think about it? Sorry for not making that clear
Old 03-23-2006 | 11:53 AM
Senior Members

Well, I hope my reply helped then. My sister has the iTrip in her Mercedes (she's indifferent, but then she's kinda ditzy so what are ya gunna do?) and I had it for the first gen iPod, I thought it sucked, but that was like 3 years ago. I don't think BMWs even come with cassette players anymore do they? I haven't seen one with it for years, so I think that option is out. That pretty much leaves you with AUX input, Monster, or full integration. So then you have to ask yourself how much time you want to spend waiting for it, how much you're willing to spend on it, and what kind of quality you want. My vote, AUX in for the following reasons:

1. One day install
2. Currently the best quality sound
3. If I can get it down to the $200 everyone else is paying for it, it's worth it for my price range.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-24-2006 | 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AMG Killer' post='258940' date='Mar 23 2006, 06:25 PM
What do you guys here in the forum use for your ipod to listen in your cars? I trying to buy one but dont know which ones are affordable and yet good quality. Please tell me what you guys use and how do you like it. Thanks in advance Artur.
I have a 30gig video ipod (5th Gen) connected to an aux input using a monster cable charger with dock connector and 3.5mm stereo cable for the line out.

I have removed the capacitors and resistors from the aux input following a suggestion from my530 (genius).

Sound is BETTER than cd. Stunningly crisp and clear with excellent bass response.

This is the way to do it

(oh and make sure to use mp3gain to normalize all mp3's to 89dba)
Old 03-25-2006 | 01:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='259399' date='Mar 24 2006, 05:28 PM
I have a 30gig video ipod (5th Gen) connected to an aux input using a monster cable charger with dock connector and 3.5mm stereo cable for the line out.

I have removed the capacitors and resistors from the aux input following a suggestion from my530 (genius).

Sound is BETTER than cd. Stunningly crisp and clear with excellent bass response.

This is the way to do it

(oh and make sure to use mp3gain to normalize all mp3's to 89dba)
Is the line out loud enough ?

What's the spec of the monster cable ?

thx
Old 03-25-2006 | 03:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Sound is BETTER than cd.

This is simply not true. An MP3 will never sound as good as a redbook CD.
Old 03-25-2006 | 03:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by badlydrawn' post='259756' date='Mar 25 2006, 10:11 AM
Is the line out loud enough ?

What's the spec of the monster cable ?

thx
Line out / aux in is slightly quieter than other inputs (cd / radio)

I have dropped the volume of my mp3's as well, to protect the amp and speakers now that I have removed the capacitors etc... so this is exagerated. However, I don't have a problem with turning up the volume on the cars system to sort this out.

I have a monster cable icar charger - you should find it on google (I got mine from expansys in the UK)

The phono cable I am using is just a cheapo one I bought in amazon for a ?1 - works fine.
Old 03-25-2006 | 04:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='259774' date='Mar 25 2006, 12:37 PM
This is simply not true. An MP3 will never sound as good as a redbook CD.
Doh... ok ...

Depends what you mean by better. I personally really like the crisp, clean and 'separated' sound you get from an ipod.

I am playing MP3's and AAC's encoded at 198kps and I accept that I am losing some of the data on the original cd.

What I am saying though is on the BMW system in my car, the compression is not detectable (to my ears)and they prefer the 'clarity' of the sound from the ipod.

I understand the argument against, but I am happy with my lossy format.

I still remember that Neil Young refuses to accept any digital format cause he claims he can sense the loss of the continuous stream of sound in an analogue recording. (He is a bit nuts though)

Quick Reply: Ipod for car