E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipod Aux connection question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Currently: (3/1/06) 2002 530i black on black prem, sport, cold, xenon.

My MY07 came with Aux built in to rear seat console. I immediately went to Radio Shack and purchased a line-out (male to male) cable which connects with top of my Ipod and Aux connection in BMW.

The problem is the sound is very low and I have to turn my it very high to hear; I understand this is one of the limits of the line in connector on top of my Ipod.

So question is, should this (http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...ineout-fw.html) make things better for me?

Is there another connector to Aux and bottom of Ipod out there?

Please let me know - and No, I am not going the way of FM transmitter as in July I will have whatever BMW comes out with.

Thanks.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='277642' date='May 3 2006, 03:32 PM
My MY07 came with Aux built in to rear seat console. I immediately went to Radio Shack and purchased a line-out (male to male) cable which connects with top of my Ipod and Aux connection in BMW.

The problem is the sound is very low and I have to turn my it very high to hear; I understand this is one of the limits of the line in connector on top of my Ipod.

So question is, should this (http://www.sendstation.com/us/produc...ineout-fw.html) make things better for me?

Please let me know - and No, I am not going the way of FM transmitter as in July I will have whatever BMW comes out with.

Thanks.
Yeah, that was going to be my point.

Why spend a whole lot now to get the ipod to work when an unknown BMW fix may be just around the corner. I believe there is a connector that goes on the firewire end of the ipod cord that has a pin on it for connection to the aux. The other end of the ipod cord attaches to the bottom of the ipod. This wont provide power to the ipod but it will get you the better sound quality until the BMW solution comes thru. This is what I am going to do. But by the time my car is delivered the BMW connection may be in already.

Let me look for a post on the firewire tip adaptor.
Old 05-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Cheers Veight, that's exactly what I was looking for. I think this thing from sendstation might be just that. http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/poc...lineout-fw.html.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='277652' date='May 3 2006, 03:54 PM
Cheers Veight, that's exactly what I was looking for. I think this thing from sendstation might be just that. http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/poc...lineout-fw.html.

Thats the one. Now that I look at it, it seems there is a way to power the ipod with the firewire to a cigarette lighter adapter too. I know I don't want to spend more than $20 to $30 for a temporary solution to mine. Supposedly with the BMW interface we will be able to control the iopd thru the Idrive and the steering wheel.

How many miles do you have on your car now. Are you filling it with premium?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Veight' post='277656' date='May 3 2006, 05:04 PM
How many miles do you have on your car now. Are you filling it with premium?
100 miles, and have barely driven it, wife hasn't even been it in yet. Still half a tank left.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='277667' date='May 3 2006, 04:24 PM
100 miles, and have barely driven it, wife hasn't even been it in yet. Still half a tank left.

As I may have mentioned, after my initial drive, Im putting mine in the living room and making a coffee table out of it.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i SMG Jet Black/Beige Sport/Prem/Cold, comfort, split, shades.
Talking

I don't have my E60 yet...due in June but I know that the AUX connection had an input level adjustment on my previous 04 X5. Levels 1-5, I had the same result until I found this adjustment and then cranked in put to level 3 and it sounded great. This was on premium radio package BTW. I would think that this did not change for the MY07 E60.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Members

My Ride: Due May 2006: 530d SE Touring, Automatic, Titanium Grey, beige leather comfort seats, light poplar wood trim, sports steering wheel, graduated tinted windscreen, panoramic sunroof, pro radio, logic 7, 6CD, visibility pack, storage compartment pack, adv aircon

I brought a Belkin adapter from Amazon a couple of weeks ago. Connects to the bottom port of the iPOD.
Supplies power and gives a line out connection too.
Fantastic sound. Much better than using the headphone socket.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by wmbiii' post='277642' date='May 3 2006, 09:32 PM

Thanks.
Buy an Imonster car charger which has a powered line out
Old 05-03-2006, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Chappy' post='277670' date='May 3 2006, 05:40 PM
I don't have my E60 yet...due in June but I know that the AUX connection had an input level adjustment on my previous 04 X5. Levels 1-5, I had the same result until I found this adjustment and then cranked in put to level 3 and it sounded great. This was on premium radio package BTW. I would think that this did not change for the MY07 E60.
great call i will check that....

Quick Reply: Ipod Aux connection question