E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipod adapter installed today

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgoman' post='395950
I had the CD Changer before and installed the MOST iPod adapter myself, but my current software didn't recognize it. My car is in the shop right now getting the latest PROGMAN/CIP upgrade because of other warranty-covered software-related issues (CD run-on, MP3 CDs won't play, etc.) and I'm HOPING that this update will also cause the car to recognize the iPod. I'll post the answer as soon as I get the car back.

When I take my car in I make sure NOT to mention to the Service Adviser that I have done any kind of DIY install on ANYTHING. I didn't even mention the iPod playback as one of my problems this time. They hate it when a customer comes in wanting them to fix something the customer installed while trying to save money at the dealership's expense. This is probably why the guy came back to you and was so hard-nosed about the 3-hr estimate. You and I both know that estimate is ludicrous, but they figure "the guy tried to stiff us and get a freebie upgrade, so now we're not going to give him any slack on the estimate."

Just my $0.02
Totally agree with Wildcat. They will even get annoyed and will warn you not to do anything or to be "very careful" when changing/installing anything by yourself
Old 02-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi, Monaco Blue, Sport Package, 18x8 style 123, RFT, Premiun package, second set of wheels replicas style 166 w/ winter tires.

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='396323' date='Feb 27 2007, 12:04 PM
Totally agree with Wildcat. They will even get annoyed and will warn you not to do anything or to be "very careful" when changing/installing anything by yourself
I had to tell him that I was willing to do the installation after he mention the $750 price, my intention was to see how much they would charge just for the activation, since was my believe that the programming was suppose to be covered for the warranty, as some others members stated in this forum. BMWNA said that sometimes there are missinterpretations on the text of the bulletins.
I coud do the same as Wildcat, but at the end, even if he get the software upgrade, he will have to ask them to activate the ipod interface.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

I've installed the iPod adapter plus I will be installing the Aux input soon. How should I approach the dealer about activating those? I have a good relationship with my SA but the labor rates they charge at this dealership are just out of this world.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi, Monaco Blue, Sport Package, 18x8 style 123, RFT, Premiun package, second set of wheels replicas style 166 w/ winter tires.

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='396404' date='Feb 27 2007, 04:06 PM
I've installed the iPod adapter plus I will be installing the Aux input soon. How should I approach the dealer about activating those? I have a good relationship with my SA but the labor rates they charge at this dealership are just out of this world.
It is my understanding that some dealers do it as a courtesy, others charge an hr or more for labor, also, Do you need a software update?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by cgoman' post='396390
I coud do the same as Wildcat, but at the end, even if he get the software upgrade, he will have to ask them to activate the ipod interface.
I don't think that's the case (at least, I'm hoping it's not). There are cases where people have DIY'd the iPod adapter and it worked without reprogramming or activation (as long as they previously had the CD Changer). My bet is that car's ability to recognize the iPod is dependent on its PROGMAN version, and mine was just too old. Thankfully, I have some of the other software-related issues I mentioned earlier, and those ARE covered under warranty. So (crossed fingers), newer PROGRAM = iPod recognition. An added benefit of the warranty work that's being done anyway.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' post='396404
It is my understanding that some dealers do it as a courtesy, others charge an hr or more for labor, also, Do you need a software update?
No software update needed, I'm running V24.X or something very recent. I did not have CD changer so I think that is the reason why my iPod interface was not recognized immediately.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Wildcat' post='396426' date='Feb 27 2007, 05:08 PM
The impression I've gotten from reading posts about this is that the programming is covered only if you have BMW do the install. Nice warranty, huh? <_<
I don't think that's the case (at least, I'm hoping it's not). There are cases where people have DIY'd the iPod adapter and it worked without reprogramming or activation (as long as they previously had the CD Changer). My bet is that car's ability to recognize the iPod is dependent on its PROGMAN version, and mine was just too old. Thankfully, I have some of the other software-related issues I mentioned earlier, and those ARE covered under warranty. So (crossed fingers), newer PROGRAM = iPod recognition. An added benefit of the warranty work that's being done anyway.
Those lucky ones who had their ipods working without software update had cd changers, our case, I believe, that we have cd changer prep, that even if we get the new PROGMAN, they need to activate the ipod interface, as per my SA.

Anyway, good luck
Old 03-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Senior Members

Any photos??
Old 03-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by cgoman' post='396433' date='Feb 27 2007, 05:25 PM
Those lucky ones who had their ipods working without software update had cd changers, our case, I believe, that we have cd changer prep, that even if we get the new PROGMAN, they need to activate the ipod interface, as per my SA.

Anyway, good luck
No such luck. I should have updated the software, THEN installed the adapter. They ending up being cool and only charging me an hour of labor (they originally wanted to charge two), so I got off kind of easy. Not as cheaply as I wanted to, though! :'(
Old 03-07-2007, 11:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Now I'm totally confused, I just made an appointment with service to have an ipod aux input installed. I asked the SA the price of the purchase and installation and was quoted $350.00 Now I have the regular 1 CD radio in my 05 525i, what exactly extra will I need to get this working.

1. Do I have to pay for the upgrade CIP to get the ipod recognized???

2. Is there an additional interface I have to purchase???

Could someone please clarify, I'm thinking all I'm going to pay is $350.00, I don't want to be surprised with a $750.00 plus bill.

Thanks Gents.

Quick Reply: Ipod adapter installed today