E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipod adapter installed today

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [color=#000099][font=Verdana]Oct 2005 530d limousine, Silver Grey, Steptronic, Black Dakota leather, 17" Star Spoke style 138 wheels with Bridgestone Potenza 050A, extended air conditioning, M sports steering wheel, PDC, Xenon, ProSat Nav, Cruise Control, iDrive 19.02 [/font][/color]

Today I finally installed my Ipod adapter. Parts and labour were around 500 EUR.
I have tried it quickly on the way home and it shows now under CD menu CD1-CD6 options. With 16 GB of music onto 80GB it takes a minute to load the list of all singers. Scroll speed is moderate, and song starts to play immediately after confirm.
The best thing is the sound quality, and high frequency irritating noises through AUX when on pause are gone.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Mladen' post='393533' date='Feb 20 2007, 02:03 PM
Today I finally installed my Ipod adapter. Parts and labour were around 500 EUR.
I have tried it quickly on the way home and it shows now under CD menu CD1-CD6 options. With 16 GB of music onto 80GB it takes a minute to load the list of all singers. Scroll speed is moderate, and song starts to play immediately after confirm.
The best thing is the sound quality, and high frequency irritating noises through AUX when on pause are gone.
Congratulations. I have had this since June last year and it is one of my favorite things about the car.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='393586' date='Feb 20 2007, 04:18 PM
Congratulations. I have had this since June last year and it is one of my favorite things about the car.
Yes, I find iPod useful and much easier to transfer music to car. Anyway, there's still much to do with usability. There should be some kind of like search function, you should be able to handle folders easier and iPod is quite slow to use via iDrive. But, despite all this, it's the best system available for it's purpose at the moment IMO.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by Pitkis' post='393615' date='Feb 20 2007, 03:55 PM
Yes, I find iPod useful and much easier to transfer music to car. Anyway, there's still much to do with usability. There should be some kind of like search function, you should be able to handle folders easier and iPod is quite slow to use via iDrive. But, despite all this, it's the best system available for it's purpose at the moment IMO.
My only issue is that when I'm on a list of songs (say CD6) and I am listening to one and scroll to another and select it, it goes back to the song I was listening to. Repeating the same thing a second time works fine.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 02-22-2007, 05:24 AM
Members

Had mine installed last week (07/2004 545i w. Nav - now upgraded to CIP 24.02) - phenomenal to have my entire music collection available while I am driving !

Few issues though (most of which had been identified before by other forum members):

1. CD 1-6: due to the fact that I have an 80GB iPod (SW V 1.2.1) w. >10K sings, anything but playlists (CD-1) is pretty much useless. I am trying to minimize the number of different genres through iTunes do that perhaps CD-4 may become useable. But I have way too many artists & songs to use CD-2, 3 or 6 - and I don't have any podcasts to listen to.

2. CD1 - only shows 11 playlists plus the entire ipod und the root directory. I have about 25 smart playlists on my iPod - but can only see the first 11 following the entire iPod as the first "playlist" entry.

3. Playlist selection: only works once you are playing the first song out of a selected playlist.

4. Random function not working properly: when in random play mode, sooner or later the iPod interface seems to forget to randomly select songs and instead continues to play them in sequence. Also, if you don't like the randomly selected song, you cannot just simply press the steering wheel button to find another random song (like you can in the iPod shuffle mode), but instead then you get the next one in sequence - and from then on you are in sequential mode. Also - you cannot simply reenter into random mode - instead you have to manually select another title, start playing it, and then select random mode again - from which point on it may continue to be in random mode until it starts playing sequentually again all of a sudden.

I find the last point to be the most annoying one. I can live with only using CD-1 (playlists) - whished all my playlists would be recognized (not just the first 11) - and then I would want to be able to select one of them and just continue to play songs randmoly across the entire play list. However - it seems, that after every second or third song I have to go through several manual steps to reenter into random mode.

I am hoping that a future iPod SW upgrade will correct the problem - would hate to have to pay for another CIP SW upgrade on my car !

Other then that I am really ecstatic about my new toy in the car !

Any comments ???
Old 02-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i / Orient Blue (I think) / Tan int / 116's Wheels / ... my favorite option, the HEATED steering wheel! Previous cars retired: 2006 Corvette Z51, 2002 Corvette Coupe, 2002 Mustang, 1997 Maxima, 1994 Camry, 1990 Supra None, and I mean none compare to this 545i. The 06 Corvette was faster, but not by much...
Cool

Originally Posted by CDN-5-er' post='394283' date='Feb 22 2007, 08:24 AM
Had mine installed last week (07/2004 545i w. Nav - now upgraded to CIP 24.02) - phenomenal to have my entire music collection available while I am driving !

Few issues though (most of which had been identified before by other forum members):

1. CD 1-6: due to the fact that I have an 80GB iPod (SW V 1.2.1) w. >10K sings, anything but playlists (CD-1) is pretty much useless. I am trying to minimize the number of different genres through iTunes do that perhaps CD-4 may become useable. But I have way too many artists & songs to use CD-2, 3 or 6 - and I don't have any podcasts to listen to.

2. CD1 - only shows 11 playlists plus the entire ipod und the root directory. I have about 25 smart playlists on my iPod - but can only see the first 11 following the entire iPod as the first "playlist" entry.

3. Playlist selection: only works once you are playing the first song out of a selected playlist.

4. Random function not working properly: when in random play mode, sooner or later the iPod interface seems to forget to randomly select songs and instead continues to play them in sequence. Also, if you don't like the randomly selected song, you cannot just simply press the steering wheel button to find another random song (like you can in the iPod shuffle mode), but instead then you get the next one in sequence - and from then on you are in sequential mode. Also - you cannot simply reenter into random mode - instead you have to manually select another title, start playing it, and then select random mode again - from which point on it may continue to be in random mode until it starts playing sequentually again all of a sudden.

I find the last point to be the most annoying one. I can live with only using CD-1 (playlists) - whished all my playlists would be recognized (not just the first 11) - and then I would want to be able to select one of them and just continue to play songs randmoly across the entire play list. However - it seems, that after every second or third song I have to go through several manual steps to reenter into random mode.

I am hoping that a future iPod SW upgrade will correct the problem - would hate to have to pay for another CIP SW upgrade on my car !

Other then that I am really ecstatic about my new toy in the car !

Any comments ???
Just sounds like you have too much music!!
Old 02-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Members

My Ride: [color=#000099][font=Verdana]Oct 2005 530d limousine, Silver Grey, Steptronic, Black Dakota leather, 17" Star Spoke style 138 wheels with Bridgestone Potenza 050A, extended air conditioning, M sports steering wheel, PDC, Xenon, ProSat Nav, Cruise Control, iDrive 19.02 [/font][/color]

I am a bit confused. I thought as my dealer told me that ipod is not charged through the installation? Could I be wrong? My battery is still full after couple of days.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I understand you correct, iPod should be charged through your iPod adapter.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi, Monaco Blue, Sport Package, 18x8 style 123, RFT, Premiun package, second set of wheels replicas style 166 w/ winter tires.

I decided to get an Ipod interface in my car, I called the dealer and I was told $750 part + inst., I told him that I was going to buy the interface and doing the instalation myself, and that the programming should be covered by the warranty, he said he wasn't aware of that, so I gave him the SIB # 01 03 06 posted in this forum sometime ago, he asked for some time to review it, 2 hours later he called and said that he reviwed the document with his manager and that the programming wasn't covered, they want to charge 3 hrs labor for progamming. I mentioned about this forum and that I was going to call BMWNA to find out about the warranty. I call customer relations dept. and I was told the the dealer was correct charging for programming, because, the accessory is not factory installed but a dealer installation and that the programming was part of the activation.
I am really confused, because is not only the dealer but BMWNA who states that the warranty doesn't cover programming.
Any comments will be appreciated.

thanks
Old 02-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by cgoman' post='395950' date='Feb 26 2007, 05:19 PM
I decided to get an Ipod interface in my car, I called the dealer and I was told $750 part + inst., I told him that I was going to buy the interface and doing the instalation myself, and that the programming should be covered by the warranty, he said he wasn't aware of that, so I gave him the SIB # 01 03 06 posted in this forum sometime ago, he asked for some time to review it, 2 hours later he called and said that he reviwed the document with his manager and that the programming wasn't covered, they want to charge 3 hrs labor for progamming. I mentioned about this forum and that I was going to call BMWNA to find out about the warranty. I call customer relations dept. and I was told the the dealer was correct charging for programming, because, the accessory is not factory installed but a dealer installation and that the programming was part of the activation.
I am really confused, because is not only the dealer but BMWNA who states that the warranty doesn't cover programming.
Any comments will be appreciated.

thanks
I had the CD Changer before and installed the MOST iPod adapter myself, but my current software didn't recognize it. My car is in the shop right now getting the latest PROGMAN/CIP upgrade because of other warranty-covered software-related issues (CD run-on, MP3 CDs won't play, etc.) and I'm HOPING that this update will also cause the car to recognize the iPod. I'll post the answer as soon as I get the car back.

When I take my car in I make sure NOT to mention to the Service Adviser that I have done any kind of DIY install on ANYTHING. I didn't even mention the iPod playback as one of my problems this time. They hate it when a customer comes in wanting them to fix something the customer installed while trying to save money at the dealership's expense. This is probably why the guy came back to you and was so hard-nosed about the 3-hr estimate. You and I both know that estimate is ludicrous, but they figure "the guy tried to stiff us and get a freebie upgrade, so now we're not going to give him any slack on the estimate."

Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: Ipod adapter installed today