E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I been using my iPad2 3G in my vehicle for the past month and I tell you, I absolutely love it!

Better NAV - Live map updates using BING. Realtime traffic and many more options
Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&-img_0876001.jpg
Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&-img_0877002.jpg
Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&-img_0878003.jpg

Better looking Ipod player
Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&-img_0879004.jpg

Like Pandora? OK
Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&-img_0880005.jpg

How about some Verizon Fios Online?
Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&-img_0883006.jpg
Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&-img_0884007.jpg

Better music player with automixing, scratching, and cool graphics
Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&-img_0886008.jpg
Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&-img_0887009.jpg

Maybe some weather for emergency situations?
Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&-img_0893010.jpg

What's not to love?

1. The BMW Ipod adapter doesn't have enough juice to charge the ipad.
2. In order to control the ipad2 ipod player on the ipad instead of on the idrive using BMW's dock connector you have do a quick workaround (if you have the aux connector you're good to go).
3. You have to fab up your own bracket if you want it to sit in the space I have it in (easy). Most for sale brackets take up the passenger seat in some form or fashion.

Other than these minor (to me) things it's great! Highly recommended...

Victory
Old 08-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

where or what brackets did you use to have the ipad sit on the spot you have it on??
thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jg525i
where or what brackets did you use to have the ipad sit on the spot you have it on??
thanks
Just something I cobbled together. If you have any sort of fabrication skills you could make something nice. Me? I have zero. :thumbsdown: Because the sides are a different height I used a sawed off piece of a cheap ipad stand on one side and a wire clip with the top cut halfway back on the other. Both are installed with double sided tape, The ipad leans against the volume knob. This also gives me the relatively cool function of pushing on the bezel to press the button and mute music. It works good in practice.

Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&-img_0898001.jpg
Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&-img_0899002.jpg

You can get the stand from Amazon or from eBay here --> http://compare.ebay.com/like/200604754739?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y
As usual, I put this out there to share and see if it inspires some other folks (with talents better than mine) to come up with some alternative mounting solutions for this perfect location.

V
Old 08-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

thanks victory for that info appreciate that a lot
great mod!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

OP,

is your set up allowing you to charge your ipad while in operation?

Newbie to the ipod/ipad scene, still need to figure out how to extend the ipod cable from my glove compartment to the center console and have it charged while in use.

Any advice for a newbie?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

I understand why would somebody want to do this but I personally think is tacky. It doesn't look OEM. You can get most of features with the cic+combox retrofit. And yes I know that not everybody can't afford to spend 3k on the cic retrofit.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
OP,

is your set up allowing you to charge your ipad while in operation?

Newbie to the ipod/ipad scene, still need to figure out how to extend the ipod cable from my glove compartment to the center console and have it charged while in use.

Any advice for a newbie?

Thanks
Your ipod wire should be plenty long enough. It's probably wrapped & zip tied together. Just drop the back of the inside of the glove box down (by turning the two big screws 1/4 way) find the wire and cut the zip tie. The ipod dock connector does not put out enough juice to charge the ipad2 adequately. The ipad2 juice requirements are ~2.1 amps. Most ipod dock connectors put out somewhere between 500 milliamps and 1.5 amps. With that being said, the connector will in effect trickle charge the ipad, but it won't bring it back from the dead (i.e. if you use it outside the car to watch a movie run it down then reconnect it in the car). The battery life on the ipad2 is very good. I've been on 5 hour trips and have had no battery life issues (who knows in 6 months though).

V
Old 08-03-2011, 11:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nelson29
I understand why would somebody want to do this but I personally think is tacky. It doesn't look OEM. You can get most of features with the cic+combox retrofit. And yes I know that not everybody can't afford to spend 3k on the cic retrofit.
The big deal for me is one technology for all. I hated to have a personal smart phone for calls, a BB for work, a laptop for productivity, and a ipod for music. For me, this was more a lifestyle technology choice and less a how would my BMW OEM Automobile interior look one. I use my ipad for everything. Why would I exclude my automobile?

...or spend 3k on a CIC retrofit that can't control my Tivo.

V
Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Contributors

Sorry but I'm not feeling that at all. I have an ipad2 + 3G and would never put it there. Especially a white one. It also doesn't charge. Two huge issues for me. But props for at least trying.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

wrap that ipad 2 in 3m carbon fiber look vinyl...it'll look a lot better than the white. I personally have a white iPad 2 with a black carbon fiber back...but if i were to ever place it in a car i would wrap the front too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-iPad-2-Carbon-Fibre-Vinyl-Skin-3M-Di-Noc-Sticker-/260825740689?pt=AU_Computers_Apple_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cba6cf591#ht_4462wt_1070

Quick Reply: Ipad2 + Dock Connector = Goodbye Lame idrive Hello Touchscreen Heaven&