E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

INTAKE SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545I WHITE ON GRAY , SMG, NAV, SPORT PKG, PREM SND, COLD WTHR, STOCK CHROME, TITANIUM TINTS, EURO REFLECTORS, DEBADGED.

REALLY WANT ONE BAD FOR 545 ANYONE KNOW WHERE 2 GET.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Contributors

....someone on the E63 roadfly board installed one on his 645, same engine so you may want to do some reading over there as there was some discussion on its potential benefits/problems....
Old 05-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

OK--I'll play devil's advocate.

Why do you want one?

Increased HP? Even the most expensive systems have minimal HP increase claims, and who knows if they're real or BS. Even if real, the increase is so minimal that I can't believe anybody would feel the difference. Plus you risk fouling your MAF sensor with an oily air filter. And most of these "cold air intake" systems do just the opposite.

Improved throttle sound? Again, the difference will be virtually unnoticeable.

Bling factor? Groupe M (sp?) sells carbon fiber intakes. Not sure if they have one yet for the E60, but for a Carrera it's around $2,000.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by stream' date='May 23 2005, 03:29 PM
OK--I'll play devil's advocate.?

Why do you want one??

Increased HP?? Even the most expensive systems have minimal HP increase claims, and who knows if they're real or BS.? Even if real, the increase is so minimal that I can't believe anybody would feel the difference.? Plus you risk fouling your MAF sensor with an oily air filter.? And most of these "cold air intake" systems do just the opposite.

Improved throttle sound?? Again, the difference will be virtually unnoticeable.

Bling factor?? Groupe M (sp?) sells carbon fiber intakes.? Not sure if they have one yet for the E60, but for a Carrera it's around $2,000.
[snapback]132326[/snapback]
I've only seen carbon intakes for 3 series and I'm sure that's a trickle-down from actual racing pieces. I doubt anyone is going to do the dev work on the 5, it's just not that kind of market.

Many current cars can get 90%+ of the benefits of such systems by simply adding the correct-sized K&N pancake filter into the stock airbox. You won't get the obnoxious sound of an airbox-less intake, but to me that's a good thing.

This one is for the 545i - http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2294

K&N claims ~4% increase in hp and torque with the replacement "pancake" filters for any given application.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by UUronL' date='May 23 2005, 01:41 PM
[quote name='stream' date='May 23 2005, 03:29 PM']OK--I'll play devil's advocate.?

Why do you want one??

Increased HP?? Even the most expensive systems have minimal HP increase claims, and who knows if they're real or BS.? Even if real, the increase is so minimal that I can't believe anybody would feel the difference.? Plus you risk fouling your MAF sensor with an oily air filter.? And most of these "cold air intake" systems do just the opposite.

Improved throttle sound?? Again, the difference will be virtually unnoticeable.

Bling factor?? Groupe M (sp?) sells carbon fiber intakes.? Not sure if they have one yet for the E60, but for a Carrera it's around $2,000.
[snapback]132326[/snapback]
I've only seen carbon intakes for 3 series and I'm sure that's a trickle-down from actual racing pieces. I doubt anyone is going to do the dev work on the 5, it's just not that kind of market.

Many current cars can get 90%+ of the benefits of such systems by simply adding the correct-sized K&N pancake filter into the stock airbox. You won't get the obnoxious sound of an airbox-less intake, but to me that's a good thing.

This one is for the 545i - http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2294

K&N claims ~4% increase in hp and torque with the replacement "pancake" filters for any given application.
[snapback]132335[/snapback]
[/quote]

The issue with K&N and other paper "lifetime" air filters is (assuming you believe the dubious power increase claims) that when you clean them, you need to reapply oil and then you risk fouling your MAF sensor. If it's burning a hole in your pocket, spend your money on a nice bottle of wine instead.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

I have a Gruppe M intake on my TT. I'd agree with Stream - it looks nice, but you'd be hard pushed to really notice a difference. Obviously I did notice a difference because my brain wanted there to be one so badly after spending all that $$$!

Still, it's nice to have some carbon fibre / kevlar composite under the bonnet!
Old 05-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by clived' date='May 23 2005, 02:19 PM
I have a Gruppe M intake on my TT. I'd agree with Stream - it looks nice, but you'd be hard pushed to really notice a difference. Obviously I did notice a difference because my brain wanted there to be one so badly after spending all that $$$!

Still, it's nice to have some carbon fibre / kevlar composite under the bonnet!
[snapback]132369[/snapback]

Here's an alternative--burn this to a CD about 20 times and play it loud while you're driving:

funny_exhaust.mp3
Old 05-23-2005, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by stream' date='May 23 2005, 11:27 PM
Here's an alternative--burn this to a CD about 20 times and play it loud while you're driving:
[snapback]132380[/snapback]
Old 05-23-2005, 03:54 PM
JDN
Contributors

Damned, that's funny. I could have saved some $$$$$.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

LOL - in the UK playing that file is likely to get you shot - we hear it ALL the time - it's been turned into a mobile phone ring tone and the advert for it is on TV all the time - has been for about 3 months!

Quick Reply: INTAKE SYSTEM