E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed Subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, i was planning on installing a Sub in the E60 and wondering if anyone one had already done so, if so, which sub did you get and did any thing screw up after the installation? I am just a bit worried to mess with sound system but really want to install a Sub, and look forward to installing rear entertainment system once its available.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Guest_zippers525

Yea, i installed a little cheap system but then took it out bacause it didn't like all the bass. I took power from the batter which is located in the trunk. For sub inputes I used a "line out converter" akahigh/low) converter. I took them off the two speakers from the backseat near the windshield. I then ran the wires stright down into the trunk. Hope this helps. Post any questions.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Members

woudlnt it be better if you took the power out of the existing subs?
Old 07-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by MaTRiX' date='Jul 11 2004, 01:56 PM
woudlnt it be better if you took the power out of the existing subs?
Isn't the L7 the only one with subs? Maybe he doesn't have existing subs?
Old 07-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Nope, standard sound system comes with 10 speakers, including 2 subs. Right under the driver and passenger seats.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Members

oh my bad, i assumed he did.
Old 07-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Members

Sorry if this has already been addressed.

What is the major difference in the standard and L7 system?

I understand that the standard system has 10 speakers and the L7 system has, I believe 13 speakers? What are the additional 3 speakers?

Also, I assume that the L7 system comes with additional audio processing??? Equalization control??? etc??

Once again, sorry if this has already been addressed, but I reviewed the recent topics and didn't see anything addressing this.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

The L7 has an equalizer and two effects (concert hall and theater). You can select theater and the sound is coming more from the front, like in a theater, or you can choose concert hall, or you switch it off.
When you go with concert hall you are right in the middle of the sound, it is all around you. So the L7 sound effects create a room.
On L7 you have on center speaker on your dashboard, two subs under the front seats, two mid and high range speakers in each front door, and six mid and high range speakers in the rear.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:20 AM
Members

Thanks Iceman.

Comparing the standard and L7 systems, which three speakers are missing from the standard system?

I believe I read in an earlier post that the standard system has two subs, so I am wondering which speakers they have omitted?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2004, 07:58 AM
Members

I installed a sub, with a separate and additional amp, in the trunk of my car - an Alpine 350 watt sub / amp package.

here are some points raised above....

1) The subs under the seats are really just very good mid range / woofers. Adding a sub will really beef up the bass.

2) Always take sub amp power directly from the battery, for two reasons. Firstly, and foremostly, the power requirement of a sub amp is huge, so you don't want to be overheating any wiring that isn't man enough for the job and having to pester the insurance company after a fire! Secondly, if you take directly from the battery, you can be assured of a "clean" supply, so no buzzing, popping etc...

3) In the trunk, there is a accessory socket - use this as the remote switch for the amp - to turn it on and off - much easier than running a wire from the head unit.

4) E60s are fantastically sound proofed. You need to think about how to get the sound from the trunk into the car - I have a ski hatch, and had a grill custom made to replace the ski bag cassette - exactly the same colour as the upholstery, looks and sounds great.

5) It's really easy to get your speaker level inputs from the speakers in the rear parcel shelf. Just prise the grills off, remove the three screws holding the speaker down, and using somthing like a knitting needle, push your new wire down through the sound proof foam into the trunk.

6) If you are going to secure your sub to the trunk floor, for goodness sake check under all the carpeting / sound proofing to see where your screws are gonna end up - there is a huge wiring loom under there, and the cable that take the battery to the engine compartment.

7) To make the bass sound really crisp, install capacitors in line in your existing speakers. This will omit the really low bass notes from those speakers, meaning that the won't distort, leaving your sub to do the hard work.

Think that's about it....if I think of anything else, I'll post again.

Rob

Quick Reply: Installed Subwoofer?