E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed Dension Gateway 500.... sick

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i received my Dension Gateway on Monday, installed it monday night, and did a nice setup install tuesday... i could not be happier. i installed it myself, following a D.I.Y i got from this forum, i also pre-purchased the wire Bruce recommended to make it a complete plug and play... install took a couple hours... mainly because i know absolutly squat about electronics, and as i was reading bruce's d.i.y, i was lost... because i had no idea what some of the abbreviations were and the position 1 and position 2.... anyway, after awhile of brainstorming and taking a closer look, everything started making sense, and figured out what everything was... install itself took about 45mins max... anyway, everything is working, and i finally finished setting it up... here are a couple pics i took with my phone right after i was done...

i decided to keep the ipod plug and USB plug in the glove box, because once my ipod was plugged in, i would never need to take it out, so no need for it taking up space in the center console. same with the USB wire, especially when i attach a portable HD to it... the AUX wire was a little different. i installed it next to the passenger seat. since every component that will be used with the AUX plug will have to be used by hand, i wanted it to be easily accesible, so as pictured, i installed it next to the passenger seat... when i want to switch from Dension to CDC, switch is right there. i also have a wire that has rca plugs on one side and 3.5mm plug on the opposite end, so i just plug and play my aux devices.
Attached Thumbnails Installed Dension Gateway 500.... sick-img00319_20090414_2022.jpg   Installed Dension Gateway 500.... sick-img00320_20090414_2022.jpg  
Old 04-16-2009, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

cool. so you can use your iDrive screen to watch DVD's via a portable DVD player?

How is the iPod functionality? Is this all through the iDrive spinwheel?

tell us more about your car....NAV? MY?....etc.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sleeper50' post='849570' date='Apr 16 2009, 04:36 PM
cool. so you can use your iDrive screen to watch DVD's via a portable DVD player?

How is the iPod functionality? Is this all through the iDrive spinwheel?

tell us more about your car....NAV? MY?....etc.

you cannot watch dvd's on the idrive screen with just the dension Gateway 500 unit. Dension has put out a product, called the AVR, which was made to work with the Gateway 500, and that AVR will play your movies from your ipod on your idrive screen.

May car is a 2006 525i with pro-nav and CDC. iPod functionality is AMAZING... you use the idrive knob as if it's the dial on your ipod. you can do everything you want with the Gateway. and it loads very quickly as well... the music turns on, where it left off, right away when you start up your car...

it truly is a great product
Old 04-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

Originally Posted by montreal_bimmer' post='849589' date='Apr 16 2009, 01:52 PM
you cannot watch dvd's on the idrive screen with just the dension Gateway 500 unit. Dension has put out a product, called the AVR, which was made to work with the Gateway 500, and that AVR will play your movies from your ipod on your idrive screen.

May car is a 2006 525i with pro-nav and CDC. iPod functionality is AMAZING... you use the idrive knob as if it's the dial on your ipod. you can do everything you want with the Gateway. and it loads very quickly as well... the music turns on, where it left off, right away when you start up your car...

almost perfect! glad to hear about the iPod controls. Does it pause you iPod when you take a phone call?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Members

My Ride: Black MY07 E60 - stock for now

My didn't come with Nav or the Changer...will this still work?
Old 04-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sleeper50' post='849614
My didn't come with Nav or the Changer...will this still work?

i think so, but dont quote me on that... best thing to do is search... ive read the answer to you question when i did my search on the dension, i just cant remember what it was...
Old 04-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Members

Did they not have an IVE1000 adapter that allowed your IPOD to connect to the Dension 500 gatewat - The AVR unit is a new device not officially out in the UK here that lets you add more than one input device i believe
Originally Posted by montreal_bimmer' post='849589' date='Apr 16 2009, 09:52 PM

Old 04-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by montreal_bimmer' post='849589' date='Apr 16 2009, 10:52 AM

According to the Dension website, the AVR will only work with the ProSat Nav systems..... Hopefully something will come out for non-pro sat U.S. systems. It would be really cool to get video on that I-Drive screen!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:49 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rborhara' post='849729' date='Apr 16 2009, 07:23 PM
Did they not have an IVE1000 adapter that allowed your IPOD to connect to the Dension 500 gatewat - The AVR unit is a new device not officially out in the UK here that lets you add more than one input device i believe

no need for any adaptor for me... straight plug and play(when you pre-purchase the wires Bruce mentioned from BMW)
Old 04-18-2009, 01:57 AM
Members

which wires are these

Quick Reply: Installed Dension Gateway 500.... sick