E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed AFE intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 02:06 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i received the intake and installed it yesterday. It sounded really goood and had a mean growl to it as soon as you hit 3k..... But i noticed that after a few hours the growl has settled and today the intake was barely noticeable. it lost that growl i heard in the beginning when i first installed. Also when i first installed when you rev the engine you can hear the air suck in, now its not there. Did i do the install wrong or did the car adapt to it and now the intake is above average sounding but not mean sounding like it was a day ago. i also read that weather affects the sound the intake makes, as of now it kinda sounds stockish. Anyone with this problem?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by aresh' post='596020' date='Jun 5 2008, 03:06 AM
i received the intake and installed it yesterday. It sounded really goood and had a mean growl to it as soon as you hit 3k..... But i noticed that after a few hours the growl has settled and today the intake was barely noticeable. it lost that growl i heard in the beginning when i first installed. Also when i first installed when you rev the engine you can hear the air suck in, now its not there. Did i do the install wrong or did the car adapt to it and now the intake is above average sounding but not mean sounding like it was a day ago. i also read that weather affects the sound the intake makes, as of now it kinda sounds stockish. Anyone with this problem?
It should really only be dependent upon how hard you accelerate, as that increases the air flow needs of the intake! My suggestion would be to FLOOR IT!!!
Old 06-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by aresh' post='596020' date='Jun 5 2008, 05:06 AM
I still hear the growl, more so around 3k+, 3.5k+ like puck said, floor it and it will roar
Old 06-05-2008, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

that's strange, i installed mine and the intake is pretty noticeable at 3K +, and it's been like this from day one.
i have this for about a month or so. below 3K is sounds like stock, but above that (and esp flooring it at 60mph+) it growls fairly loud.
where are you located and has temperature change alot from day one?

but then you have a 550i, so i don't know if the sound difference is different (i have a 525i).
Old 06-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aresh' post='596020' date='Jun 5 2008, 03:06 AM
it's the same with my car. At day 1 after I first got it installed, the car was growling much meaner and louder. After a few days the engine and the ecu adjust to the new intake that I put. My guess is because it changed from a closed air box to an open air intake that causes it to have a louder growl, but after adapting the growl becomes less...

I only hear the growl when i go above 3000-3500+ RPM now, still noticeable and more than stock but less than the sound at day 1. I think it's a V8 thing
Old 06-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Dinan S Package

did u go with the pro dry or regular filter? and why did you choose the one you did?
Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Senior Members

actually guys i checked it again today and one of the clamps was letting some air come out. So i re tightened all the tubes and clamps and now it sounds like it did on day 1. if anyone experienced this my suggestion would be to check the connections once more.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by aresh' post='596690' date='Jun 5 2008, 10:25 PM
actually guys i checked it again today and one of the clamps was letting some air come out. So i re tightened all the tubes and clamps and now it sounds like it did on day 1. if anyone experienced this my suggestion would be to check the connections once more.
Good tip. Will check it again just to make sure mine's all tight.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

i have a question.. this may be dumb but.. what does the intake give you.. more horsepower? torque? if so how much?
Old 06-06-2008, 05:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by melimel' post='596923' date='Jun 6 2008, 08:58 AM
i have a question.. this may be dumb but.. what does the intake give you.. more horsepower? torque? if so how much?
It should give you both, realistically you are looking at single digit increases, the AFE spec sheet for the 545 says +7hp and +10 foot pounds. It's maybe one of the easiest and cheapest performance increases.

Quick Reply: Installed AFE intake