E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

INPA vs. Seat Adjustment & Tilt Steering Wheel: HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Hello,

My seats won't adjust since I installed the CIC retrofit. Although I've scheduled some time with Patryk, I'm just wondering if I can fix it myself before then.

Can INPA be used to enable or disable the seat and steering wheel adjustments?

If so, please let me know how and where to look.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did not attempt the same mod as you, but have the same problem - seats and steering wheel don't adjust any more.
I actually made two changes: added the rear view camera (video shows up on the iDrive display when the gear is in reverse) and added the Dension GW500. Unfortunately, I did both these mods at the same time so I have no idea what caused the problem.

I took the car in to the dealership to see if they could troubleshoot the issue. After several days of working on it, dealership indicated that they will not be able to fix it until I got all the extra mods removed. However, I noticed that the seats were actually in a different position than when I'd given them the car. So, my thinking was that they were able to control the motors externally - and so it was just that the signal from the switch was not being relayed to the motors.

My gut feeling here is that it's probably the GW500 and problems with the fiber optic loop because the video module used for the rear camera does not really tap into anything that should affect the seats or the steering wheel but I won't know until I take these out.

Did you have to make any changes to the MOST/Fiber optic circuit?
Old 07-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Contributors

To be honest, I don't "think" I did anything to the fiber optic circuit. At least I'm pretty sure I reconnected the fiber optic link from the old unit to the CIC unit. Bluetooth audio, nav, new iDrive controller still works so I'm assuming that the fiber optic stuff is still intact.

Here's some other stuff I just noticed...The side view mirrors still adjust. So only the seats and steering adjust doesn't work. Also, I tried a test with the spare key. The key memory works. Depending on which key is used, it either has the radio or CD playing. However, the side mirror memory does not work. I guess the side mirrors are on a different physical network from the seats and steering (obviously), however, they must be tied to the memory function that sets the mirrors, seats, and steering wheel. That memory function must be down as well since it doesn't move the side mirrors.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Originally Posted by balbs
To be honest, I don't "think" I did anything to the fiber optic circuit. At least I'm pretty sure I reconnected the fiber optic link from the old unit to the CIC unit. Bluetooth audio, nav, new iDrive controller still works so I'm assuming that the fiber optic stuff is still intact.

Here's some other stuff I just noticed...The side view mirrors still adjust. So only the seats and steering adjust doesn't work. Also, I tried a test with the spare key. The key memory works. Depending on which key is used, it either has the radio or CD playing. However, the side mirror memory does not work. I guess the side mirrors are on a different physical network from the seats and steering (obviously), however, they must be tied to the memory function that sets the mirrors, seats, and steering wheel. That memory function must be down as well since it doesn't move the side mirrors.
This happened to me when i had my CIC coded, it is a coding issue.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by r9ndy
This happened to me when i had my CIC coded, it is a coding issue.
Where did you get your CIC from? How long was the coding to get it fixed?
Old 07-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Contributors

Also, do you remember which coding piece was fixed or affected?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Contributors

I got it sorted out. It turns out that one of the 3 plugs in the unit below the CIC (unit that has the DTC and other buttons) was loose. I plugged it in and the seats and steering wheel adjusters started working again. Thanks to member Patrys (who I got the retrofit from) for helping me out!