E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ignition PROBLEMS... Aftermarket Audio or maybe old Battery;s fault?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I recently installed a new audio set up I bought from member GEORGIEB with the help of NELSON29.

I have

2 Tru Technology amps 400W each (I think)
1 12 JL Audio 12w7
1 Monoamp 1500W RMS
+Jehnert door boards

I suspect I should have no more than 1500RMS in total audio, right?

Everything was working fine, now, all of the sudden, a week ago, I came back from running some errands, parked the car, everything was OFF.... Came back next morning, got ignition, all lights went on, BUT, the car would not start, matter fact, MY CAR WOULD NOT EVEN MAKE THE GRUNT you get when the battery is low... nothing.

Mechanic came over, charged the battery in full, nothing, he plugged a machine to infuse a bit more voltage than usual, nothing.

He took it in, after 3 days of tests, he called and said;

1- They re-programmed the start up "module", and the car started, turned it off again with all audio parts plugged in, came back 15 later, car wouldn't turn on, same as before. they re-programmed again, car worked, but then after being turned off again with all audio.... same problem.

second test

2- THEY UNPLUGGED THE AMPS, re-programmed the car and ran the same tests, car came on, but after leaving it off WITHOUT THE AMPS, the problem was gone, car would start with no problems.

My battery is an OEM battery, probably 2-3 YEARS old, they will replace the battery tomorrow for one more powerful, but, do you guys think it's the audio or most likely a crappy battery giving me the problem?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

are your amps turning off when your ignition is off?
sounds a little weird.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by turboawd
are your amps turning off when your ignition is off?
sounds a little weird.
I think so, but my mechanic says the only thing he can think of is that the amps are getting a bit of electricity from another line, I honestly think it's the battery that is completely gone to sh!t, because I had a similar problem on my Nissan Murano a couple of years back, even if the battery seemed to be fully charged, I kept having electrical problem, like my left headlight wouldn't turn on sometimes and my cabin lights stopped working, then, I changed the battery and everything went back to normal.

I'm posting in case someone has had a similar problem.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' BMW 530xi

Why don't you just get a second battery for the audio alone? There batteries selling specially for audio I think kinetik is the top battery being used now
Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by itz CracK
Why don't you just get a second battery for the audio alone? There batteries selling specially for audio I think kinetik is the top battery being used now
I thought about it, but, would adding another battery require an alternator change/upgrade?

Here in Costa Rica they are quoting me a Kinetic 1400 in like $420
Old 07-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kdarcia007
I thought about it, but, would adding another battery require an alternator change/upgrade?

Here in Costa Rica they are quoting me a Kinetic 1400 in like $420
I'm not sure if my friends wire the second battery to alternator .. you could always take it out and recharge it when its dead since it only powering your audio should take a while to finish .. Kinetik HC2400 amazon.com and buy.com has it for $274 or something
Old 07-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Originally Posted by kdarcia007
Hi guys,

I recently installed a new audio set up I bought from member GEORGIEB with the help of NELSON29.

I have

2 Tru Technology amps 400W each (I think)
1 12 JL Audio 12w7
1 Monoamp 1500W RMS
+Jehnert door boards

I suspect I should have no more than 1500RMS in total audio, right?

Everything was working fine, now, all of the sudden, a week ago, I came back from running some errands, parked the car, everything was OFF.... Came back next morning, got ignition, all lights went on, BUT, the car would not start, matter fact, MY CAR WOULD NOT EVEN MAKE THE GRUNT you get when the battery is low... nothing.

Mechanic came over, charged the battery in full, nothing, he plugged a machine to infuse a bit more voltage than usual, nothing.

He took it in, after 3 days of tests, he called and said;

1- They re-programmed the start up "module", and the car started, turned it off again with all audio parts plugged in, came back 15 later, car wouldn't turn on, same as before. they re-programmed again, car worked, but then after being turned off again with all audio.... same problem.

second test

2- THEY UNPLUGGED THE AMPS, re-programmed the car and ran the same tests, car came on, but after leaving it off WITHOUT THE AMPS, the problem was gone, car would start with no problems.

My battery is an OEM battery, probably 2-3 YEARS old, they will replace the battery tomorrow for one more powerful, but, do you guys think it's the audio or most likely a crappy battery giving me the problem?
Don't mean to high-jack your thread but....I'm planning to transfer my JL W7 into a 535i that i'll be purchasing in the near future...would you mind posting some pictures of your setup(Box and trunk pix)? I haven't seen anyone else that has this sub in their E60!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MORI3L
Don't mean to high-jack your thread but....I'm planning to transfer my JL W7 into a 535i that i'll be purchasing in the near future...would you mind posting some pictures of your setup(Box and trunk pix)? I haven't seen anyone else that has this sub in their E60!
I had a 13.5 w7 in my car with the JL Audio 1000.1v2 amp lol and I think member aresh has a custom built enclosure with a 13w7 also ...

Kdarcia007 I also have a Rockford Fosgate 2 fared capacitor for sale if your interested