E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

If remaps are so great ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by sese' post='324059' date='Aug 18 2006, 04:32 PM
that was wetterauer, ACS and some others...
Hang on - let me understand this. Did they get one car? or three? Remapped to what level of performance (and starting from what)? Did all remapped engines (if more than one) fail similarly? Or was it only one?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='324062' date='Aug 18 2006, 05:49 PM
Hang on - let me understand this. Did they get one car? or three? Remapped to what level of performance (and starting from what)? Did all remapped engines (if more than one) fail similarly? Or was it only one?
Sorry, I forgot to tell you they used more than one car. One car each. Altogether they had about ten Golf's.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by sese' post='323957
BMW/Audi/Mercedes etc. etc. etc. manufacture a car that could end up anywhere in the world, so they have to consider this and compromise the specification to make sure it is going to appeal to as big an audience as possible.

That's the ticket.

Nuff' said.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

Here's a part of the article:

If remaps are so great ...-chart.jpg

If remaps are so great ...-teile.jpg
Old 08-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sese' post='324075' date='Aug 18 2006, 05:20 PM
Sorry, I forgot to tell you they used more than one car. One car each. Altogether they had about ten Golf's.
Thanks!

Please pardon my insistence - but do tell us more. Did ALL the cars fail similarly? or just one? After pumping them up to what level of bhp/Nm? What engine did they have to start with?

I'm sorry - my German is very very limited (mostly learned from Bach, and I guess the vocabulary isn't quite there... "Meine seele erhebet den autobahn" does not sound very appropriate), or I'd read it out on AutoBild.

EDIT: cross posted with your post with the scanned page! Thanks.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sese' post='324080' date='Aug 18 2006, 05:37 PM
Here's a part of the article:
[snip]
Very interesting:

1) Judging from the pictures these seem all to be add-on tuning boxes, not remaps. AFAIK, a tuning box basically increases fuel flow, but little else. Which is consistent with the fact that all these mods increase consumption and particulate emission (plus problems with combustion chamber and exhaust gas temperature). A well designed remap will alter more parameters than simply fuel flow/injection timing.

2) Regardless of what they are - disappointing results! Torque up 12% on average, BHP up 7% - so the torque improvements are not sustained through the rev range. And ALL the enhanced cars end up with less power than a BMW 320d/520d (163 BHP), though with higher torque (340 Nm)

I wonder how current "popular" remaps on this forum (DMS, e-maps, SuperChips) fare in terms of real, measured performance enhancement on the average customer's car against one-off figures from the test car. The only objective evidence that I know of is CliveD's acceleration times pre/post DMS remap, but I can't be bothered digging them out to calculate implied torque/bhp improvements.

I also still wonder whether the damage on the pictures is the result of one (or two, or three) "dilettante" remaps, or whether it is representative of the average condition of all the cars.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

Glad there finally is someone who knows, i guess from experience.
Had 4 remapped diesels now, the last one sold with 140k on the clock and not the slightest problem.
One remapped car I wrote off by putting it on the roof. The insurance (a big one) didn't give a toss about different wheels, suspension and let alone remap.

If you want to keep yours as it is, perfectly fine and fully respect your decision. Please don't try to tell us, that we are idiots and you have the wisdom.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Nick530d' post='323953
ii) remaps compromise drivability and fuel economy. It's fine if you want a big mid-range kick in the backside, but your passengers probably won't appreciate it as much.
I think you'll find most people here will tell you the opposite! Both driveability and real-life economy are usually improved.

Originally Posted by Nick530d' post='323953' date='Aug 18 2006, 11:27 AM
It's cowboy technology. The firms that peddle these remaps will have done a fraction of the road testing that the original car would have undergone by BMW, and likely no road testing at all - just bench testing.
It's true that some vendors could cause issues but a proper remap only enhances the efficiency of the engine and can often remove flat-spots and other nuances introduced by the manufacturer for various reasons. (Emissions, Varying Fuel Quality, Environmentals etc.)
Old 08-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Senior Members

Just a small answer, because I'll be on holidays for one week in twenty minutes.

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='324081
After pumping them up to what level of bhp/Nm? What engine did they have to start with?
See my post above yours.

See you guys, I will be back in a week,

cheers, sese
Old 08-20-2006, 05:05 AM
Contributors

After reading the whole post, I'll still go with remaps, I disagree about the stuff that the originator said. Anyways, he's probably gone since he hasn't replied yet. Bu i want to ask, if its possible to remap a 525? I want to remap mine. If yes, wat company?

Quick Reply: If remaps are so great ...