E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iDrive iPod integration

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

I have just been bitten by the iPod bug - a bit behind the curve I guess!

It has set me wondering when BMW will release the iDrive integration for the iPod. I read in other posts that Dension are to release a kit later this year but there are no real details

Dension BMW iPod Link

Any news from BMW on their solution as I assume that this will have full iDrive controllability ???

btw. I am not really interested in a radio or AUXin link, I would only want it if I could acess the full playlists through the iDrive.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:00 AM
Members

Why would you not be interested in the aux input solution? By picking up the Ipod you can control everything. I highly doubt that BMW will implement all the features that can be controlled by the Ipod into Idrive as that would be a major liability if someone has an accident setting up a playlist.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Quick question - I am also looking into the aux input for my iPod (unless the dension kit is likely to be available pretty soon) - anyone know if I would get a full software update to 16.xx or whatever my dealer has when the delaer does the install or do they just add the aux input software component to my current version. Would be good to get the full 16.xx update to get the updated nav views etc plus all the other fixes. Any idea?
Old 04-18-2005, 09:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

that would be a major liability if someone has an accident setting up a playlist.

No more dangerous than inputing Navigation data.

But, you are correct that BMW will likely not integrate iPod fully. This would require major software re-programming.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Apr 18 2005, 12:32 PM
But, you are correct that BMW will likely not integrate iPod fully.? This would require major software re-programming.
[snapback]116782[/snapback]
Not necessarily so. If Apple produces their much anticipated (and often rumored) iPod with bluetooth, controlling the iPod wouldn't be that difficult (i.e. no more difficult than NAV or Logic 7 etc). The real question is how long will it take - and I suspect it will be a while. First Apple has to introduce the product (I believe this will happen by Christmas) and second BMW has to put out a CIP that can support the new BT stack. Given BMW was among the first to co-ordinate with Apple I suspect this won't take forever (but probably longer than most can stand).

So you've got two choices in my mind: buy an iPod now, get aux in and just enjoy or wait till they introduce the BT version, wait till BMW integrates it and the hope for the promise of wirelessly controlling your iPod with the iDrive. (total guess time: 1 year).

Personally, I'm waiting. I prefer the fidelity of non compressed audio but would be willing to experiment with the "whole collection on hand" as long as it was wireless.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by Sans' date='Apr 18 2005, 12:52 PM
[quote name='subterFUSE' date='Apr 18 2005, 12:32 PM']But, you are correct that BMW will likely not integrate iPod fully.? This would require major software re-programming.
[snapback]116782[/snapback]
Not necessarily so. If Apple produces their much anticipated (and often rumored) iPod with bluetooth, controlling the iPod wouldn't be that difficult (i.e. no more difficult than NAV or Logic 7 etc). The real question is how long will it take - and I suspect it will be a while. First Apple has to introduce the product (I believe this will happen by Christmas) and second BMW has to put out a CIP that can support the new BT stack. Given BMW was among the first to co-ordinate with Apple I suspect this won't take forever (but probably longer than most can stand).

So you've got two choices in my mind: buy an iPod now, get aux in and just enjoy or wait till they introduce the BT version, wait till BMW integrates it and the hope for the promise of wirelessly controlling your iPod with the iDrive. (total guess time: 1 year).

Personally, I'm waiting. I prefer the fidelity of non compressed audio but would be willing to experiment with the "whole collection on hand" as long as it was wireless.
[snapback]116789[/snapback]
[/quote]

If you use the Apple lossless codec you can get uncompressed audio right now (at about half the file size of uncompressed AIFF). I agree that BT would be awesome but I'm not sure whether regular Bluetooth has the bandwidth to handle uncompressed audio streaming. Any ideas on this?
Old 04-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' date='Apr 18 2005, 03:12 PM
If you use the Apple lossless codec you can get uncompressed audio right now (at about half the file size of uncompressed AIFF).? I agree that BT would be awesome but I'm not sure whether regular Bluetooth has the bandwidth to handle uncompressed audio streaming.? Any ideas on this?
[snapback]116797[/snapback]
Good point and great question. That will be the rub. I am assuming since there are bluetooth available headphones already on the market that appear to get decent sound reviews (not by audiophile standards, rather just consumer electronics oriented people) that the band width is currently sufficient to pump MP3s at a minimum and I understand there are some projects in the works to broaden the bandwidth, primarily to support multi-devices but incidentally should support higher levels of codec.

I googled these two pieces which sound interesting:
http://www.powercellkorea.com/eng/knowledg...&num=176&page=1
and
http://www.computerweekly.com/Article134914.htm

I'm not exactly sure what I'll do at that point. My hesitation on an iPod has always been fidelity - at some point I'd have to decide if I was going to go for "less music, higher quality" or vice versa. I have a little over 1000 CD's I'd like to burn so something may have to give when we get to that point. Then again, who knows? Maybe Moores Law will get me a 200 gig iPod for $200 by then...
Old 04-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sans' date='Apr 18 2005, 03:28 PM
[quote name='swajames' date='Apr 18 2005, 03:12 PM']If you use the Apple lossless codec you can get uncompressed audio right now (at about half the file size of uncompressed AIFF).? I agree that BT would be awesome but I'm not sure whether regular Bluetooth has the bandwidth to handle uncompressed audio streaming.? Any ideas on this?
[snapback]116797[/snapback]
Good point and great question. That will be the rub. I am assuming since there are bluetooth available headphones already on the market that appear to get decent sound reviews (not by audiophile standards, rather just consumer electronics oriented people) that the band width is currently sufficient to pump MP3s at a minimum and I understand there are some projects in the works to broaden the bandwidth, primarily to support multi-devices but incidentally should support higher levels of codec.

I googled these two pieces which sound interesting:
http://www.powercellkorea.com/eng/knowledg...&num=176&page=1
and
http://www.computerweekly.com/Article134914.htm

I'm not exactly sure what I'll do at that point. My hesitation on an iPod has always been fidelity - at some point I'd have to decide if I was going to go for "less music, higher quality" or vice versa. I have a little over 1000 CD's I'd like to burn so something may have to give when we get to that point. Then again, who knows? Maybe Moores Law will get me a 200 gig iPod for $200 by then...
[snapback]116875[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good articles. Personally I've been happy enough with 320 Kb AAC for most iPod listening but you can still hear the differences compared to uncompressed audio and I think that the DSP processing in Logic 7 etc does seem to magnify the artifacts you get with lossy codecs. Did have one other thought, and not sure if this works, but I don't know if anyone has tried to burn CD format audio onto a recordable DVD using Toast etc and use the DVD Nav slot as the CD source. The Nav's DVD drive will play CD's (and supports CD text) so if you can do this you could maybe get 6 or 7 plus CD's onto one recordable DVD and use that.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by redondoman' date='Apr 18 2005, 05:00 PM
Why would you not be interested in the aux input solution?? By picking up the Ipod you can control everything.? I highly doubt that BMW will implement all the features that can be controlled by the Ipod into Idrive as that would be a major liability if someone has an accident setting up a playlist.
[snapback]116759[/snapback]
My thinking is that what I would really like is to be able to keep the iPod hidden away in the glove box and that could interact with it through the iDrive and/or steering wheel buttons as I would with my CD changer.

Apple already have this for the 3 series / X3 /X5 / Z4

Apple iPod BMW Link

although there are major limitiations in supporting Nav or a CD Changer.

I would gladly swap my cd changer for an iPod integrated in this way. To me it looks like the Desion solution will be closest to what I need as this will most likely be a plug in replacement for the CD Changer.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY 2004 545i Touring, High Executive Line, Comfort Line II, Vision Line II (Dutch specced Packages), Color: Oxford Green. Interior: Black/Black leather. Trim: Dark Popular wood. Gear: Steptronic 6-speed Other options not incuded in above packages: M-Sport aero kit, sports suspension, heated steering wheel, rear side-airbags, front screen with green upper part, panorama roof, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels with Dunlop RFT's, HiFi Pro/LOGIC7, alarm class 3, heated seats rear and voice recognition. Waiting for february delivery of 325i Touring and 130i

I was at my dealer today. They got very recently info that an iPod Connecter kit for E60/61 will be available in September.

Last week I got it fitted in my Mini Cooper S Works and it works nice except you have some difficulties in searching tracks. tracktitles aren't displayed too. Perhaps a BMW version of the Apline made box will display all info through iDrive (but that is just wishfull thinking)

Quick Reply: iDrive iPod integration