E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ideas for Laser Interceptor Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 M5

Hey guys, I just received my dual-head LI kit today and I'm starting to think about how to do the install.

In particular, I'd like your ideas on how best to integrate the on/off switch into the car in as stock a form as possible (pre LCI M5).

I think I have three options of which the first is easy and the other two are more difficult:

1. Buy an extra SOS BMW Assist switch and install it in the blank spot on the passenger side of the overhead console. This would be easy. The switch includes an LED and is illuminated and looks cool. The only downside is that it's a pain to open the little cover and press quickly when in a bit of a stressful situation and it also means being less discrete about it as an arm moving up to push a button on the overhead console may invite even more attention from the police (as I'm sure I will generate enough interest as it is since they hopefully won't get a speed reading).

2. Replace the headlight switch cluster with one from a regular e60 that would have the same switches as mine (i.e. HUD) but also have an extra switch for fog lamps. (Does anyone have a pic of this switch with HUD and Fog Lamps?) I could then use this fog lamp button. This would be more discrete, but cost a lot more (the lamp switch module is about $128). There's also no LED (I'm guessing but not sure) requiring that to be installed elsewhere.

3. Ideally, I could some how tap into the extra steering wheel button (the diamond button). This is super discrete, very quick to access, but likely the most difficult to tap into, if it's even possible. Anyone know if the steering wheel buttons are discretely wired or on some kind of digital bus? If it is possible, I could set this button to the mute function in iDrive and therefore when I press it, it would not only disable the LI but also mute the audio for a bit. Not a bad setup.

No matter which solution I go with, I'm going to need a latching relay to turn any of these momentary switches into the latching variety to be compatible with the LI.

Any other good BMW stock switches I could tap into without too much trouble?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Members

Does anyone have any details on how the steering wheel buttons are implemented and what/where they are ultimately connected to inside the car?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

i took steering wheel button apart and it is circuit board with buttons... so i think it will be hard to do that... why dont you just get a little flip switch and install it underneath the steering wheel column where there are small pockets...
Attached Thumbnails Ideas for Laser Interceptor Install-images.jpg  
Old 02-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

All OEM buttons are first of all push-to-make and not on/off buttons. Secondly all the buttons are internally connected to a electronic modules because each button is only meant to put a CAN-ID on the BUS. If you decide to use an OEM location you are going to have to rip apart the entire button housing and put a new switch in its place. See my Mic Mute thread for what I mean.

Best thing to do is to try and find a nice place to install a new button.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='801922' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:46 AM
All OEM buttons are first of all push-to-make and not on/off buttons. Secondly all the buttons are internally connected to a electronic modules because each button is only meant to put a CAN-ID on the BUS. If you decide to use an OEM location you are going to have to rip apart the entire button housing and put a new switch in its place. See my Mic Mute thread for what I mean.

Best thing to do is to try and find a nice place to install a new button.
Thanks Bruce... I realize all BMW buttons are momentary which is why I closed by indicating the need for a latching relay. However, the fact that you don't even get the effects of a momentary close from any BMW button makes this whole idea moot. I may look at trying to mod a BMW Assist button then... at least it will have a stock looking shell and fit nicely into the overhead console.

I'll check out your mic mute solution as well.

Cheers!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VirtualRain,

Did you complete your LI install? I would be very interested to see the location you chose for the front LI heads and the wiring route you used from the heads to the control box. Any luck finding an OEM style switch and where did you locate it?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just going through my planning stage for a jammer selection and install. The LI appears to be the best chioce, so I just need to be clear on the install issues since I will be doing it myself.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I'm at the same place you guys were a year ago -- any answers to Spyglass' questions?
Old 12-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by VirtualRain' post='801004' date='Feb 24 2009, 11:52 PM
Hey guys, I just received my dual-head LI kit today and I'm starting to think about how to do the install.
Have you heard the buzzer on most of those Lidar jammers? I'm not having a problem with mounting the switch (out of view and under the dash) but the buzzer is horrible. I'm working on creating a can-bus message to enable the calm 'dinging' sound... Something to think about too.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

What your trying to accomplish is to get out of a ticket. You really only have about 2-3 seconds to slow down before turning off the jammer if you want to remain stealth. The cop is going to want to get a speed reading or they will know something funny is going on. The second thing to consider is that your brake lights are a dead give away that you were speeding.

How about this idea for your install..

Your could wire it up so that when your jammer is triggered you have 2-3 seconds to slow down before it automatically turns off. During those 2-3 seconds your brake lights are bypassed as well. That way the cop would just have a short delay on reading your speed with the gun, but the speed he would get would be a good 10-15 mph lower than the actual speed you were going.

This of course is not safe or legal but would help you stay stealth. Maybe the brake light bypass part could be wired up so that you would have to turn that feature on for some spirited driving. You would not want that feature active every time the jammer was triggered or your going to get rear ended hard someday.

***this post is for entertainment purposes only and I am not recommending that anyone should actually try to do this due to safety, liability, and legality issues***