E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I "Searched" now I'm more confused

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hey again,
Well I took the advice of what you all had responded to my original post and after using Search, and reading and reading and compairing mods from one model to another....and some of the comments made in the forum, I have a few questions I would really like answered if you all could help.

My original question was, how can I get more HP's out of my '04 545i.
Some of the posts have mentioned I really won't get that much more out of my car.
Some have said that the 5' series (not the M class) is more of a car to be seen in, not really a fast car. (which I don't personaly believe since she's got some punch right now).

So my follow up question is this....
With a budget of about 3K (usd) the first mod I should be doing is Intake / Exaust?
- what would be some tips you could tell me to avoid headaches
- what should I realisticly be looking at for intake / exaust mods
- if I am doing an intake / exaust mod, what else should I be modding along with the intake / exaust to get more out of it (such as a new engine chip?)

I read alot about stage 1 mods, can someone actually explain what a stage one mod consists of? Then what is a stage 2 mod? is there even such a thing.

Well thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and provide some feedback to a new modder and new BMW owner.

I do like the pic's I have seen, you guys have some really awesome cars. Thanks for sharring.

Audi_Eatter
Old 10-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Here's the low down. It is indeed possible to extract more power from the 545i with these mods: CAI, remapped ECU and free flow exhaust. With my previous 545i I went with a custom fitting AFE CAI, Superchips remap, and RDSport cat-back quad exhaust. In addition, I had the Sprint Booster as well.

To put it simply, consider the engine as an air compressor. More air in and out = more horsepower. So, the CAI will draw in more air into the manifold, the remap will adjust the air/fuel ratio mixture and the free flow exhaust will expel the gas quicker.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

yes exhaust, intake, and software are where you want to focus on, and they may make your car feel quicker. however, i don't believe anyone on this forum or any manufacturers have bothered to post pre and post mod dyno results, so there's no "proof" of whether the mods raise hp or not. that's why some ppl say don't bother, cause no one really knows for sure.

as for stage x, if you had something like a 911 turbo then you might have predetermined stages of modding from a certain tuner. for example, stage 1 = exhaust and chip for 50hp, stage 2 = stage 1 + cats and intake for 80hp, stage 3 = bigger turbos for 150 hp, etc...
for our cars, when you read of stages from forum members, i think they are just showing off their current mods, and implying that there's more to come later on. they are at whatever stage in their mind, and not following a specific path outlined by any aftermarket tuners.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

Somebody said Dyno?

http://www.remusexhaustshop.com/series-545...578-p-1284.html
Old 10-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by RemusExhaustShop' post='480042' date='Oct 10 2007, 09:16 PM
nice!
too bad my butt dyno didn't feel those 10 hp though lol
Old 10-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

10hp on 330hp is a small percentage, that's why you don't feel it.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 1995 M3

Originally Posted by RemusExhaustShop' post='480066' date='Oct 10 2007, 10:15 PM
10hp on 330hp is a small percentage, that's why you don't feel it.

That's the reason why these mods should never be done for performance. There is little to be gained for the amount of money spent. Sure if you want the sound of an intake and exhaust get it, but doing so and thinking it will be significantly faster then the stock 545i is wishful thinking. Keep it stock and just add appearance mods. just my 2 cents.

BP
Old 10-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

I am 100% with vegas on this, a proper CAI, really only getting in cold air, a proper exhaust system (not only the muffler) and the remap on top to make the most of it. Should easily get you between 20-35 horses, depending on the factory state of tune, as they are not all the same.

With the above you will notice a difference, not like bolting on a turbo, but it will be there and much more so in terms of driveability, removal of flat spots in the rev range and responsibility.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Senior Members

Great responce guys, thanks.
Both for and against the mod, it's good to see that you guys will both sides of the coin here.

I am going to go ahead and plan for the CAI, Quad exaust, and redoing the chip (can't remember the lingo )

Few things I would like to get some feedback on.
- good parts I should be looking at (name brands) for each, the CAI, quad exaust, mufflers, blah blah blah
- what would be some headaches I will be having to deal with as I'm doing this project? How can I plan ahead?

Thanks again.
Need to do more searching and look more stuff up.

Audi_Eatter
Old 10-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

For muffler you either have the choice of going custom or RDSport, I think Hamman has a quad too.
Custom will set you back around 1000 - 2000$.
RDSport I believe is 2,500.00 - 3,000.00$

Some people on this board have made a custom quad with our universal mufflers, maybe they can help you.
We can provide dimensions of our universals to help you.

Quick Reply: I "Searched" now I'm more confused