E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I searched, I really did...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

I would share the link to a handbrake DIY, but I haven't found one, per se.

All I found were bits and pieces here and there, but I think it goes like this,

1. Pry leather boot around where it attaches to the middle consol (using something plastic and being gentle)
2. Once loose, turn it up and over the brake handle
3. You will see a zip tie holding the leather onto the handbrake - cut this zip tie
4. Remove handle (I'm not sure if it unscrews or just pulls off though)
5. Put on replacement handle in reverse order - will need a new zip tie to attach the leather boot to it

This is all I got so far. I haven't tried it yet as my replacement hasn't come in the mail yet.

If anyone can add to this, please do. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Originally Posted by e60oholic
I used the nuts and bolts that came with them. For the bottom right of the pedal I drilled the hole a little to small and just forced the bolt in without the nut. I was surprised to see the clutch pedal was plastic!

I just took a picture of mine tonight, yes i know my carpets are filthy!

Hey can you share the wealth like a link to the handbrake DIY?

Looks great (not the dirt ) by the way - good clean job!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Members

Pic of installed pedals.
Attached Thumbnails I searched, I really did...-pedals1.jpg  
Old 02-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wolfgang0524
Pic of installed pedals.

looks good man! Are those OEM BMW ones?

How does that foot rest one attach - i don't see any screws in it.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

I installed my handbrake today, it was super easy.

Get a decent sized flat screw driver, begin to pull up the bottom on the leather by hand slide the screwdriver in and push down and it pops up.

Cut the zip tie holding the boot on, slide boot off

Push forward on the old ebrake till it slides off, be easy it comes off but you dont want to crash into the dashboard.

Then depending on how your ebrake handle fits you need a dremel to grind down the old clips that hold on the old handle. I took them both off but you many old need to take off one.

I then wrapped the ebrake handle with black electrical tape to give it a real snug fit also so its not metal on metal if it loosens up. just one wrap.

Slide the handle on turn in the set screws

Then new zip tie and snap it back in.

Hmm I should make up a DIY but I need pictures, maybe tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e60oholic
I installed my handbrake today, it was super easy.

Get a decent sized flat screw driver, begin to pull up the bottom on the leather by hand slide the screwdriver in and push down and it pops up.

Cut the zip tie holding the boot on, slide boot off

Push forward on the old ebrake till it slides off, be easy it comes off but you dont want to crash into the dashboard.

Then depending on how your ebrake handle fits you need a dremel to grind down the old clips that hold on the old handle. I took them both off but you many old need to take off one.

I then wrapped the ebrake handle with black electrical tape to give it a real snug fit also so its not metal on metal if it loosens up. just one wrap.

Slide the handle on turn in the set screws

Then new zip tie and snap it back in.

Hmm I should make up a DIY but I need pictures, maybe tomorrow.

Good deal - thanks for the info. I'll be doing mine as soon as it gets here!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bha7176
looks good man! Are those OEM BMW ones?

How does that foot rest one attach - i don't see any screws in it.
The foot rest is oem. It came with the Msport package. The foot rest pedal that came with the set I ordered was way too small.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Contributors

OK, so i got the handbrake off. Here are some pics. I'm still waiting on the new ACS replacement, but see a lack of picture outlining the handbrake removal and am going to fill that void right now.

1. Insert something into the side of the leather boot surrounding the hand brake. I started on the inside, towards the passengers side, and kept prying around till I could get a finger in there, then just kept working it till it popped off. You are trying to undo the clips shown below to remove the leather boot:

I searched, I really did...-boot.jpg

2. Once you have the leather boot loose, you need to turn it over the brake handle to expose the zip tie holding it onto the hand brake handle. See below:

I searched, I really did...-img_1531.jpg
I searched, I really did...-img_1528.jpg

3. Cut the zip tie off and then simply pull the leather boot over and off the hand brake. See below, this is what you'll have after pulling the boot over and off the handle.

I searched, I really did...-img_1532.jpg

4. Simply pull the hand brake handle forward to remove it. You need to use force, but not ridiculous amounts. It's held by friction on the two little metal pieces as shown below:

I searched, I really did...-img_1533.jpg
I searched, I really did...-img_1536.jpg

and those little clips fit into the handle in the little cut outs for them as shown below:

I searched, I really did...-img_1534.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for the new ones to arrive.

Hope this helps someone else in the future. I know I was a little scared to do this, and really wasn't sure how until I did it as I couldn't find any pictures of this in the forum. Good luck and happy modding all.