E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I retrofitted the Individual Audio aka Dirac on my E61 - A first in the USA??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 12:43 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (E61)
Model Year: 2010 E61
Engine: N54
Default I retrofitted the Individual Audio aka Dirac on my E61 - A first in the USA??

My vehicle, a 2010 535i XDrive (E61) already had optioned what I consider quite a "respectable" factory upgraded system, being the "Top Hifi DSP" aka Harman Kardon Logic 7 (HKL7). I wouldn't say I was unhappy with it, but in my opinion it was lacking in overall output, accuracy, and imaging left a bit to be desired. Thus began my quest for upgraded audio...

I started looking at several options, including drop-in audio replacements like the Bavsound drivers and woofer upgrade. I went back and forth on the Bavsound, but ultimately opted not to go that route. I know that changing out the speakers will only get you part of the way there. As mentioned above I was looking for more output and better imaging.

Then the "crazy" took over... I consulted with some people I know who compete in SQ to spec out for me a "conservative" upgrade, which would have been comprised of a Mobridge adapter to get a digital optical signal to a JL TWK for time correction and EQ tuning, plus a mix of upgraded woofers and tweeters and amplification. This would be a competition-ready system once tuned properly - but considerably more spendy of an upgrade.

Priorities changed. Reason and frugality set in. I spoke to my friend in the Netherlands who has done a number of retrofits on his diesel E61 - including the BMW Individual aka "Dirac" audio. There were some great reviews written about the system, but it wasn't an option available in the USA for the E61. The USA E60 M5, 550i had it, as well as the non-USA E61 M5 (and possibly others but I am not sure which models and which markets). Research began and this Individual audio option started ticking a lot of boxes... no running new wires cabling, no need for tuning/time adjustment, pretty much plug and pray.

Luckily, I found a complete set including the amplifier from an E61 M5 part-out overseas, and snagged it. Other than some water damage on one of the underseat woofers (which will be rectified via a replacement woofer), the set was in excellent condition. This would provide double the power output, replace the HK drivers with kevlar cones and neodymium magnets (yay for losing weight!), Dirac time correction and processing, and the snazzy Dirac grilles too. I pieced together information from various forums for my installation plans - the short answer is that there isn't a great deal of information on this for us E61 owners, but I figured any challenges along the way would be opportunities for learning.

Over the past few days I completed installation of all the drivers and the amplifier. The seats were the most challenging due to their heft - but some creative use of a scrap piece firewood provided me with the necessary clearance. The great news is that all the existing wiring connections can be utilized if you are coming from a Logic7 system, making this a pretty easy installation for those who are DIY-inclined. I still need to code the VO to add the Dirac processing option, but that will get taken care of in the next day or two.

Here are some photos of the equipment and installation:

Top HiFi M Verst. Made by Lear corporation

Connections are the same as the Logic7 amplifier.

Active cooling via a fan at the top

Underseat woofers. The enclosures are exactly the same as in the Logic7, so you can just unscrew these and drop in.

Left: Logic7 Right: Individual

Left: Logic7 Right: Individual Notice the significantly smaller magnets on the Individual drivers - I believe they are neodymium. They are significantly lighter, so now my E61 is a "Leicht" edition

Individual underseat woodier installed

Later realized that the center is supposed to be one of the coaxial. It's in there now, the photo is just for posterity.

Hard to tell from the photo but there are two metal strips that "lock" the amp to the mounting bracket.

Individual amp installed. It fits perfectly.

Peekaboo little dude!

That's one sexy door panel.

Rear passenger door panel done!

Roof-mounted cargo area are separates (mid/tweeter) that are mounted on a bracket

The Logic7 tweeter has a waveguide on it to direct audio forward towards passengers. There's some interesting cable routing on the back I forgot to take a picture of, but the Individual audio components wiring fits in the same place.

Individual mid and tweeter installed. No waveguide on the tweeter so that should mean a bit more output for those who enjoy tailgating. Sadly, I didn't get "Individual" grilles for the roof-mounted speakers with my set. Eventually, I'd love to retrofit the alcantara headliner from the E61 M5, but that's a pipe dream.

Last edited by irjetsetter; 03-04-2020 at 12:46 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by irjetsetter:
antonross (06-23-2021), cjc (03-05-2020), JoshMcMadMac (04-19-2021)
Old 03-07-2020, 11:47 AM
New Members

Verified everything and finished the coding last night. Ran ISTA to verify the new amplifier data is being read and recognized. It reads out as Top HiFi Amplifier and supplier: Lear Corporation so all good there. For the coding, I had to add $752 FA to the VO and the rest of the coding took care of itself; CIC module updated itself to no longer have the Surround with Logic7 logo setting enabled, now my CIC just shows the setting for Surround (no logo). As far I am aware everything is working as it is supposed to. Somehow, after coding the sound is even better - I am guessing that prior to coding the time correction and equalization maybe were not working. Not sure how I can verify this, I'd love some input from anyone else who has attempted this. If any issues arise I'll be sure to share with you all.
Old 04-17-2021, 08:59 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2009

I have the Individual/DIRAC audio system option 752 in my Canadian-market '09 550i, and agree that it's a wonderful sounding system. I had considered replacing the subs under the seats with the Bavaudio units, but even they would likely fall short of the brain-rattling ideal I had in mind. For now, I'm more than happy with the sound, although the CCC head unit is getting a bit long in the tooth.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:39 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My Ride: .

Originally Posted by irjetsetter
Verified everything and finished the coding last night. Ran ISTA to verify the new amplifier data is being read and recognized. It reads out as Top HiFi Amplifier and supplier: Lear Corporation so all good there. For the coding, I had to add $752 FA to the VO and the rest of the coding took care of itself; CIC module updated itself to no longer have the Surround with Logic7 logo setting enabled, now my CIC just shows the setting for Surround (no logo). As far I am aware everything is working as it is supposed to. Somehow, after coding the sound is even better - I am guessing that prior to coding the time correction and equalization maybe were not working. Not sure how I can verify this, I'd love some input from anyone else who has attempted this. If any issues arise I'll be sure to share with you all.
Phenomenal, thanks for sharing! I love "factory" upgrades like this, it's a great middle ground for improvement without going crazy full custom. How much do you have invested in this?
Old 07-01-2021, 07:34 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by JoshMcMadMac
Phenomenal, thanks for sharing! I love "factory" upgrades like this, it's a great middle ground for improvement without going crazy full custom. How much do you have invested in this?
Sorry for the delay. For some reason post notifications weren't on. I paid $1000 USD for the amplifier and speakers from a seller in Germany. Everything has continued to sound great and perform well, but there is a want for more sub-bass. I have plans to install an aftermarket subwoofer and purchased the Basser E61 enclosure, a Hybrid Audio 10" and Tru Technology D2. Purchased this AVIN fiber to analog RCA adapter as well. Trying to stitch things together there... not exactly sure if I have what I need to do the install myself yet. It's been a good 15 years since I installed a subwoofer and amp system.

By the way, I have to share with you all.... Basser absolutely sucks with customer service. They shipped me a defective enclosure that had a 1/4" chip near on the face near the speaker opening, I complained, sent photos immediately - the best they offered me was to refund $10 or have me ship back the enclosure at my expense to get it replaced. Ridiculous. Anyhow.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Joke would have been on them. I would of called my bank to make a claim to get my money back for not receiving what I paid for.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:41 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M-Sport in Space Gray Metallic

I’m about to do this retrofit on my 09 550i with logic7 stock. Where did you mount the crossovers on the door card?
Old 09-15-2021, 05:40 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I'm about to the the same to my E61. The E60 and E61 speakers themselves are identical so the used set I grabbed from an E60 should just drop in place; I also have a Logic7 car so all the wiring/fiberoptic is already in place. Mine however is a pre-lci so the silver speaker grills I cannot use.

The cross overs I will be gluing to the door panel in the same place that I removed from the donor car (drivers door panel and its upside down)

Old 10-23-2021, 02:19 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW e60 LCI 530i

Hi would you be willing to sell the silver grills?
Old 10-23-2021, 02:21 PM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by BMW_V10
Hi would you be willing to sell the silver grills?
I mean yes i have no need for them so i will be selling them; pm me

Quick Reply: I retrofitted the Individual Audio aka Dirac on my E61 - A first in the USA??