E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

I need your advise iPOD Connection or CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='593632' date='Jun 2 2008, 10:10 AM
You lose sound quality mainly because of the sample rate of tracks on the ipod in comparison to the sample rate of a CD track.

Has anyone used the ALE (Apple Lossless Encoder) with the iPod interface in the car? If the audio is sent in an analog format from the ipod then in theory an ALE encoded track will be close to the same quality as the original source. Obviously you can't store as many tracks then but still more than 6 discs worth!
The Apple Lossless codec (or alternatively using uncompressed AIFF audio ripped straight from the CD) is excellent, though in all honesty I'd doubt that many listeners would be able to truly distinguish ALE or AIFF from say 320kbps AAC (or even 256kbps) when the iPod is being used in the car with most kinds of music (other than say classical music or acoustic instrumentals). As for the analog question in the posts above, if you use the line level output from the dock connector it's perfectly adequate as an audio source, assuming of course that you're using decently ripped source material.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Thanks for everyones feedback. You guys are great!!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Members

I just installed the Ipod cable / connection on Friday. I am very impressed with the system and would recommend it over the CD changer. The sound quality is pretty good but I will agree with the other posters that the sound seems to be better from the CD system. However, for some reason the sound quality from my Itouch is better than my Nano.. ..

Make sure you get the one that integrates with the Idrive system, as I was told that there were two options available. The system is very user friendly and you can select from your various play-lists quite easily. There is a random setting where it will select songs on your ipod at random or from a specific playlist. The biggest benefit to me was that I had hundreds of songs at my fingertips and I did not have to carry CD's (or load them in the car).
Old 06-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='593545' date='Jun 2 2008, 04:05 PM
Uh no. The iPod audio output is analog in all cases, incl. through the dock connector.
If it's the USB interface we're talking about here then no, it isn't analogue in all cases. Only if you use the BMW (USA) supplied Y cable. Being in the UK, I didn't get the cable with my rather expensive option. So I just use the white Apple cable that came with my iPod with the iPod in disk mode and it works just like a USB stick, ie, the car is decoding the MP3's after digitally streaming them from the device via the USB interface. The only problem you may encounter with doing it this way is with DRM protected music. If you use a lossless encoding method (or even carefully encoded 320kbps MP3's for that matter), the only difference I can hear between the original CD and the iPod is in volume only.

I will never go back to a changer unless they start making SACD/DVDAudio ones.

So, if anyone is hearing a difference between models of iPod and has the USB option, you are not getting the best from the system. Used as above you will hear no difference whatsoever between models of iPod or even just a USB stick.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='593545' date='Jun 2 2008, 11:05 AM
Uh no. The iPod audio output is analog in all cases, incl. through the dock connector.
...as are the sound waves which emerge from the speakers.

Such distinctions are mostly irrelevant in a noisy environment like a car, anyway.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='593918' date='Jun 3 2008, 12:53 AM
...as are the sound waves which emerge from the speakers.

Such distinctions are mostly irrelevant in a noisy environment like a car, anyway.
It depends if you're the kind of person who wouldn't mind if it only had a cassette (that's analogue) and an FM iPod modulator (that is too) ;-) When I was younger, I always reckoned I'd work out a way of installing a turntable into my car. Now THAT'S analogue!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Well, for this listener, iversonm makes a correct point, and I can't imagine not having an iPod connection into the entertainment system. I listen to it most, Sirius second, and FM HD third. Never use the CD. Sound quality of all three while cruising along at 80 mph is <just fine> for what I'm interested in.
Cal
Old 06-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Members

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='593946' date='Jun 2 2008, 07:46 PM
Well, for this listener, iversonm makes a correct point, and I can't imagine not having an iPod connection into the entertainment system. I listen to it most, Sirius second, and FM HD third. Never use the CD. Sound quality of all three while cruising along at 80 mph is <just fine> for what I'm interested in.
Cal

Wow, I was about to post the same question. I'm scheduled to get my IPod interface installed next week and wanted to validate the quality & functionality before spending the $600. I use a FM Modulator today to listen to my IPod, please tell me the sound will be better than that despite not being CD quality.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by bimmer545' post='593980' date='Jun 2 2008, 09:35 PM
Wow, I was about to post the same question. I'm scheduled to get my IPod interface installed next week and wanted to validate the quality & functionality before spending the $600. I use a FM Modulator today to listen to my IPod, please tell me the sound will be better than that despite not being CD quality.
It will sound better than that. Although FM has pretty good fidelity (Assuming your station of choice doesn't squeeze all the dynamic range out of the music; most do.) FM modulators are really lousy.

At all but the lowest bit rates, you'll have a hard time telling the difference between the iPod and a CD.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='593987' date='Jun 2 2008, 08:40 PM
It will sound better than that. Although FM has pretty good fidelity (Assuming your station of choice doesn't squeeze all the dynamic range out of the music; most do.) FM modulators are really lousy.

At all but the lowest bit rates, you'll have a hard time telling the difference between the iPod and a CD.

Great, thanks for the quick response.

Quick Reply: I need your advise iPOD Connection or CD Changer